PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph and the Bag of Devouring combo?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-14, 10:32 PM
I've had Polymorph for a bit here and have used it as a Healing Spell/source of temporary hit points instead of a save or suck attack spell. Now I'm thinking about using Polymorph in tandem with my Bag of Devouring.

Any likely problems with getting bad guys to fail a DC17 saving throw, turning them into something alive but helpless like a red eared slider (small turtle) and placing them in the Bag of Devouring to get rid of them forever?

There may be some synergy with Bestow Curse cast by another player, but I'm not sure we're that organized lol.

Polymorph:
This spell transforms a creature with at least 1 hit point that you can see within range into a new form. An unwilling creature must make a Wisdom saving throw to avoid the effect. A Shapechanger automatically succeeds on this saving throw.

The transformation lasts for the Duration, or until the target drops to 0 Hit Points or dies. The new form can be any beast whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a Challenge rating). The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its Alignment and personality.

The target assumes the Hit Points of its new form. When it reverts to its normal form, the creature returns to the number of Hit Points it had before it transformed. If it reverts as a result of Dropping to 0 Hit Points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce the creature's normal form to 0 Hit Points, it isn't knocked Unconscious.

The creature is limited in the Actions it can perform by the Nature of its new form, and it can't speak, cast Spells, or take any other action that requires hands or Speech.

The target's gear melds into the new form. The creature can't activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its Equipment.

Bag of Devouring:
This bag superficially resembles a Bag of Holding but is a feeding orifice for a gigantic extradimensional creature. Turning the bag inside out closes the orifice.

The extradimensional creature attached to the bag can sense whatever is placed inside the bag. Animal or vegetable matter placed wholly in the bag is devoured and lost forever. When part of a living creature is placed in the bag, as happens when someone reaches inside it, there is a 50 percent chance that the creature is pulled inside the bag. A creature inside the bag can use its action to try to escape with a successful DC 15 Strength check. Another creature can use its action to reach into the bag to pull a creature out, doing so with a successful DC 20 Strength check (provided it isn't pulled inside the bag first). Any creature that starts its turn inside the bag is devoured, its body destroyed.

Inanimate Objects can be stored in the bag, which can hold a cubic foot of such material. However, once each day, the bag swallows any Objects inside it and spits them out into another plane of existence. The DM determines the time and plane.

If the bag is pierced or torn, it is destroyed, and anything contained within it is transported to a random location on the Astral Plane.

suplee215
2019-06-14, 10:39 PM
THe only problem is if the DM gets annoyed at this or have greater plans. I made the mistake of giving a bag of devouring to my party who used it quite smart to do what you say. To make up for how the players were using it to cheese encounters (I was throwing things with low saving throw at them so maybe all my fault) but also to add a cool lore element I turned the Bag of Devouring into an "egg" of sort. If the players fed it up pass a certain point the bag will summon a modified Krasis (from Ravinica book) that was hostile to everything. I of course had store clerks warn them of such a possibility when they went looking for more info/another bag. Ultimately it depends on your group's playstyle though.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-15, 09:23 AM
THe only problem is if the DM gets annoyed at this or have greater plans. I made the mistake of giving a bag of devouring to my party who used it quite smart to do what you say. To make up for how the players were using it to cheese encounters (I was throwing things with low saving throw at them so maybe all my fault) but also to add a cool lore element I turned the Bag of Devouring into an "egg" of sort. If the players fed it up pass a certain point the bag will summon a modified Krasis (from Ravinica book) that was hostile to everything. I of course had store clerks warn them of such a possibility when they went looking for more info/another bag. Ultimately it depends on your group's playstyle though.

Thanks for a reminder about DM plans. We're going to be in what I suspect is a modified module this time so getting someone important to the story devoured might be bad.

I'll have to read the DM a bit.

Maelynn
2019-06-18, 05:39 AM
Oooh. That is quite the evil act.

Although... when I read the title I immediately thought of morphing a Bag of Devouring to make it look like a Bag of Holding (before I realised Polymorph has a creature restriction), so I'm not sure which of us has the most evil idea.

I agree that you should check with the DM for any issues with key NPCs vanishing. I know (both as a player and as a DM) that it can be fun to toss something at the DM and let them figure out a way to deal with it, but this goes a bit beyond that as it might cause a serious problem.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-05, 01:34 PM
Oooh. That is quite the evil act.

Although... when I read the title I immediately thought of morphing a Bag of Devouring to make it look like a Bag of Holding (before I realised Polymorph has a creature restriction), so I'm not sure which of us has the most evil idea.

I agree that you should check with the DM for any issues with key NPCs vanishing. I know (both as a player and as a DM) that it can be fun to toss something at the DM and let them figure out a way to deal with it, but this goes a bit beyond that as it might cause a serious problem.

Yeah, I think we're fighting giants for a bit and they're probably ripe for being turned into a red eared slider, or something benign to be dropped into the bag of devouring.

I guess they'll get their one save and get ate...the DM should be thrilled I'm not spamming Animate Objects at least :(