PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Totem for Lizardfolk

napoleon_in_rag
2019-06-15, 06:21 AM
I am think about designing a Lizardman Barbarian. I feel that none of the current Totems make any sense. Why would a cold blooded, scaly lizardman feel kinship/attunement with a warm blooded furry bear? I see two solutions:

-Re-skin the current Totems with a reptile. For example: Totem of the Velociraptor would have the exact same abilities and bonuses as Totem of the Wolf. But cooler. Because Velociraptors are awesome.

---Or---

-Do some homebrew

What does everyone think? And does anyone have a reptilian Totem already homebrewed?

Aett_Thorn
2019-06-15, 07:41 AM
Just reskin the existing ones to be more swamp-affiliates.

Bear becomes Turtle
Tiger becomes Lynx
Elk becomes Deer
Wolf becomes Crocodile/Alligator
Eagle becomes Vulture

TyGuy
2019-06-15, 08:44 AM
I am think about designing a Lizardman Barbarian. I feel that none of the current Totems make any sense. Why would a cold blooded, scaly lizardman feel kinship/attunement with a warm blooded furry bear? I see two solutions:

-Re-skin the current Totems with a reptile. For example: Totem of the Velociraptor would have the exact same abilities and bonuses as Totem of the Wolf. But cooler. Because Velociraptors are awesome.

---Or---

-Do some homebrew

What does everyone think? And does anyone have a reptilian Totem already homebrewed?

Reskinning is easier and more practical than homebrewing. With a little creativity you could be done with conversions in an afternoon.

napoleon_in_rag
2019-06-15, 09:57 AM
Just reskin the existing ones to be more swamp-affiliates.

Bear becomes Turtle
Tiger becomes Lynx
Elk becomes Deer
Wolf becomes Crocodile/Alligator
Eagle becomes Vulture

I was thinking more "Mammalia" verses "Reptilia" than forest verses swamp.

JackPhoenix
2019-06-15, 10:20 AM
WGTE has these totem changes for Talenta barbarians:

Bear: Hammertail (ankylosaurus)
Eagle: Glidewing (pteranodon)
Wolf: Clawfoot raptor

LibraryOgre
2019-06-15, 10:23 AM
WGTE has these totem changes for Talenta barbarians:

Bear: Hammertail (ankylosaurus)
Eagle: Glidewing (pteranodon)
Wolf: Clawfoot raptor

I misread Hammertail as Hammerfall, now I want to go back to playing a Barbarian with a maul, just so I can quote Queen lyrics as part of a stirring speech.

"Here we stand, and here we may fall; history won't care at all. Make your peace, and light the lights; we show no mercy here tonight."

...if you are wondering, this would, by no means, be my first character influenced by song lyrics. I wrote an entire article that was, for some reason, printed, based on Queen and Prince lyrics.

JackPhoenix
2019-06-15, 11:05 AM
I misread Hammertail as Hammerfall, now I want to go back to playing a Barbarian with a maul, just so I can quote Queen lyrics as part of a stirring speech.

"Here we stand, and here we may fall; history won't care at all. Make your peace, and light the lights; we show no mercy here tonight."

...if you are wondering, this would, by no means, be my first character influenced by song lyrics. I wrote an entire article that was, for some reason, printed, based on Queen and Prince lyrics.

I'm not saying I created utterly stereotypical dwarf after I've heard Diggy Diggy Hole, but... I'm not saying I didn't :smallcool:

LibraryOgre
2019-06-15, 12:23 PM
I'm not saying I created utterly stereotypical dwarf after I've heard Diggy Diggy Hole, but... I'm not saying I didn't :smallcool:

I had a psi-stalker partially based on Cry Little Sister. (https://youtu.be/mrMLMV6E4CM)

Zhorn
2019-06-15, 09:24 PM
My Drunken Master Monk is a Stout Halfling called Pint:smalltongue:

On topic:
I agree with using dinosaurs as the replacement names for totems, but being a lizardfolk, would the names when translated into common just be literal descriptors of the creatures since that's how their language works? Example: spike tail, sharp tooth, long neck... and now I'm going to have to run all lizardfolk in my ToA games named after Land Before Times characters...

JackPhoenix
2019-06-16, 06:46 AM
My Drunken Master Monk is a Stout Halfling called Pint:smalltongue:

On topic:
I agree with using dinosaurs as the replacement names for totems, but being a lizardfolk, would the names when translated into common just be literal descriptors of the creatures since that's how their language works? Example: spike tail, sharp tooth, long neck... and now I'm going to have to run all lizardfolk in my ToA games named after Land Before Times characters...

Sounds plausible

3.5 ECS has a list of dinosaurs with real world name, common Eberron name, and name in draconic. Also available on Eberron wiki on "dinosaur" page.

Finback
2019-06-17, 02:12 AM

Gnoll ranger, from "Hungry Forever More" by The Historian Himself.