PDA

View Full Version : Let's make an Artificer Wizard

Ebon
2019-06-15, 07:49 AM
Just got around to reading the UA for the updated Artificer, and I noticed a few interesting changes. Spellcasting starts at level one, and you round up levels for multi-classing. This means a one level dip in Artificer will still have full caster levels, Con proficiency, and be only one level behind in spell progression.

This seems unique to the Intelligence classes, as both the Ranger and Paladin require two levels to access spellcasting. As a level one magic user, the Artificer can also uniquely start with the Warcaster feat if playing as a human variant.

I'm curious what your spell selections and combos would be for Artificer 1 / War Wizard 1 through 4 and beyond? With Intelligence 16, they start with 3 Artificer prepared spells (half of Artificer level one, rounded down is 0. Plus 3 for Intelligence mod).

I like the Artificer's ability to rotate spell selections, and the additional prepared spells really bolster their defenses.

Artificer Spells: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
Artificer Cantrips: Guidance, Thorn Whip

Wizard Prepared Spells: Level (1): Shield, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Sleep
Level (2) Spells: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Misty Step, Levitate
Wizard Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Ray of Frost, Toll the Dead, Prestidigitation
Wizard Rituals: Find Familiar (with Cure Wounds!), Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify

It seems like this wizard with an artificer start, gets most of the benefits of a Fighter dip and a Cleric dip, rolled into one. All while still being a full caster. I also like how this Arcane combination is open and feasible to all races.

Human Variant could also make any number of strong characters with a starting feat, such as the aforementioned Warcaster, or perhaps Heavily Armored, Lucky, Tough, Mobile, or Alert. All fun options.

I'm imagining a kind of Arcane Investigator, more field operative than strictly academic will worker. A generalist at home in the lab, on the battlefield, or exploring a cave.

What would be your spell selections?

Damon_Tor
2019-06-15, 09:47 AM
As a level one magic user, the Artificer can also uniquely start with the Warcaster feat if playing as a human variant.

Just a note: Artificers don't need Warcaster. Their spellcasting feature, in effect, makes all their spells into material spells, and their weapon or shield can be a focus.

I guess you'd need it for casting the wizard spells though.

Wildarm
2019-06-15, 11:13 AM
Just got around to reading the UA for the updated Artificer, and I noticed a few interesting changes. Spellcasting starts at level one, and you round up levels for multi-classing. This means a one level dip in Artificer will still have full caster levels, Con proficiency, and be only one level behind in spell progression.

This seems unique to the Intelligence classes, as both the Ranger and Paladin require two levels to access spellcasting. As a level one magic user, the Artificer can also uniquely start with the Warcaster feat if playing as a human variant.

I'm curious what your spell selections and combos would be for Artificer 1 / War Wizard 1 through 4 and beyond? With Intelligence 16, they start with 3 Artificer prepared spells (half of Artificer level one, rounded down is 0. Plus 3 for Intelligence mod).

I like the Artificer's ability to rotate spell selections, and the additional prepared spells really bolster their defenses.

Artificer Spells: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
Artificer Cantrips: Guidance, Thorn Whip

Wizard Prepared Spells: Level (1): Shield, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Sleep
Level (2) Spells: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Misty Step, Levitate
Wizard Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Ray of Frost, Toll the Dead, Prestidigitation
Wizard Rituals: Find Familiar (with Cure Wounds!), Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify

It seems like this wizard with an artificer start, gets most of the benefits of a Fighter dip and a Cleric dip, rolled into one. All while still being a full caster. I also like how this Arcane combination is open and feasible to all races.

Human Variant could also make any number of strong characters with a starting feat, such as the aforementioned Warcaster, or perhaps Heavily Armored, Lucky, Tough, Mobile, or Alert. All fun options.

I'm imagining a kind of Arcane Investigator, more field operative than strictly academic will worker. A generalist at home in the lab, on the battlefield, or exploring a cave.

What would be your spell selections?

Artificer 1 is a viable dip for a wizard but honestly, not much different than dipping knowledge cleric. You get very little of true value for an Artificer 1 dip beyond the Con save proficiency compared to a cleric dip. Saves investing in wisdom so you could get a higher Con. VHuman /w 14 Dex/16 Con/16 Int is a nice caster stat line.

Other artificer perks: Access to magic stone to use with tiny servants but that really doesn't come online till level 8. For spells I'd probably take access to Bless/Healing word over the artificer spell list and knowledge expertise vs tool proficiency. Still have not found an Art1/WizX build that I would not rather another dip or just straight wizard to be honest.

Dork_Forge
2019-06-15, 06:56 PM
An Artificer (Battle Smith) would be a great base for a Bladesinger, you get a crazy high AC and damage that keeps you competitive in melee with full martial builds. 6 Battle Smith 14 Bladesinger hits all the sweet notes for this, if you're using the elf restriction for Bladesinger than go High Elf or Shadar Kai.

Ebon
2019-06-16, 04:15 PM
In an optimized build, this Artificer/Wizard would have 18 Intelligence and another spell prepared. Faerie Fire (fluff it as my Neon Goo Gun) is a good substitute for Bless, and works nicely in parties greater than 3. In lieu of Healing Word, the familiar can deliver touch spells and can cast Cure Wounds at a distance. It's not a bonus action like Healing Word, but it is almost twice the healing with Intelligence 18.

The real benefit though is opening up more prepared spell slots for higher level spells as we advance. Eventually, the Shield spell will be the only level one prepared spell from the Wizards' list. By the time we're a level 8 Wizard with Intelligence 20, we get 13 prepared spells. This gets us 5 level one Artificer spells, Shield, 4 level two wizard spells, 4 level three, and 4 level four. All as a full caster, with Con proficiency, medium armor, and a shield. That seems pretty good.

MeeposFire
2019-06-16, 08:59 PM
I thought this would be a thread about the first pass at the artificer which was a wizard subclass.

Ebon
2019-06-18, 08:11 PM
I thought this would be a thread about the first pass at the artificer which was a wizard subclass.

Well, in style and feel, that's what I'm after. Maybe in a similar way a Fighter 2 / Wizard is as much an Eldritch Knight as the sub-class by the same name. I wanted to work out what mechanical options were available to this multi-class, and I really like the idea of an Artificer with a more spellwork slant.

In that vein, I re-fluffed all the spells below to be more technomagical in nature and style. This could work for a cybernetic creation, a steam punk tinkerer, or the survivor of a crashed space ship. Nothing mechanical changes, I just add an Artificer's spin to other magical effects.

Artificer 1 / Wizard 8

Level (4): Polymorph (Transmogrification Ray), Greater Invisibility (Dimensional Phase Disruptor), Freedom of Movement (Friction Negation Nylon), Dimension Door (Transportal Deployment Device)
Level (3): Fireball (Atmospheric Combustion Engine), Counterspell (Vibrational Disruptor), Dispel Magic (Harmonic Pattern Dissipator), Fly (Aviation Attunement)
Level (2): Misty Step (Portal Shift), Invisibility (Light Spectrum Cloak), Mirror Image (Holographic Misdirection Multiplier), Levitate (Gravitational Wave Negator)
Level (1): Shield (Personal Force Field)

Fire Bolt (Incendiary Emitter), Minor Illusion (Portable Holographic Projector), Toll the Dead (Existential Ennui Inducer), Prestidigitation (Gadets Galore)

Artificer Spells (1): Absorb Elements (Environmental Resuscitator), Cure Wounds (Metabolic Booster), Expeditious Retreat (Endoskeleton Locomotion Enhancer), Disguise Self (Persona Reconstructor), Faerie Fire (Neon Goo Gun)

Guidance (Skill Wire), Thorn Whip (Cybernetic Whip Attachment)