PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney Todd - the trailer is out!

DomaDoma
2007-10-06, 09:41 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pZT2r3xiKlQ

They seem to be treating a certain element of the plot that I took for part of the basic premise as a spoiler, but I guess if they'll be that way, I'll respect their wishes.

Johnny Depp is doing a Rex Harrison, it seems, if a particularly good one. Good thing all the other leads have singing ability in spades (Anthony and Johanna were picked off the amateur stage for their phenomenal voices, they say).

Definitely going to love the Backstory In Living Color.

The only thing that concerns me is that Bonham-Carter's Mrs. Lovett has none of the false-maternal bubbliness that really escalates the creepy factor.

Renegade Paladin
2007-10-06, 09:51 PM
Heh. My high school did the musical. I played Judge Turpin. :smallamused:

Raistlin1040
2007-10-06, 09:56 PM
Hmm. Starring Depp and Rickman, with Burton directing. Looks great to me!

Pensive Pine
2007-10-06, 10:22 PM
I can't wait! And I'm glad that they didn't leave the singing part out of the trailer completely.

Serenity
2007-10-06, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry to see that Depp really can't sing. Still, if Rex Harrison can do it in My Fair Lady, there's no question that Depp can do it as Sweeney. As for Bonham-Carter, she seems to be drawing her characterization largely from Patti Lupone in the recent revival, who played a much more overtly sinister Mrs. Lovett to great effect.

DomaDoma
2007-10-07, 08:13 AM
Huh, I just noticed Timothy Spall in the credits. So is he Beadle Bamford, then? Poor guy can't seem to pick up a role with a spine, can he?

Raven T.
2007-10-08, 09:22 PM
My sister talked me into seeing this on campus about a month ago. I'm not much of a musical person, but this...this should be interesting, to say the least.

Mmmmm...meat pies...:smallbiggrin:

doki
2007-10-10, 06:22 PM
Oh my! OMGZ Johnny Depp lol.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-11, 01:58 PM
I am very sorry to say that I think this looks utterly terrible. Which is a pity, as I like Johnny Depp and Tim Burton... but JD can't muster a good singing voice, HBC has always got on my nerves, and it lacks the true horror that TB films should have - and the evil that Sweeney deserves. :smallconfused: Oh well.

Greebo
2007-10-11, 02:08 PM
I'm very much looking forward to this. I just hope they cut that awful song by Joanna in beginning with the bird...

Malik
2007-10-12, 12:16 AM
Did anyone else think Johnny's Sweeney sounded like Captain Jack Sparrow?

Serenity
2007-10-12, 01:14 AM
Yeah...there's a few lines in the trailer that are spot on Jack Sparrow accent. Most are less so,though, but it is still a tad annoying.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-12, 02:13 AM
What is 'pulling a Rex Harrison'?

I also find that it is a pity that I am seeing a bit of Jack Sparrow in some of those scenes. Depp being a better actor than Ford, I am holding out some hope that Sparrow will not do to Depp what Solo did to Ford.

Serenity
2007-10-12, 08:12 AM
Rex Harrison was a very well-respected actor who played the male lead in a number of musicals (My Fair Lady being one of the most noteable) and who couldn't sing a note. Instead he 'spoke-sung' his parts, as Depp is doing, relying entirely on his acting chops to 'sell' the song.

DomaDoma
2007-10-13, 05:11 PM
I'm very much looking forward to this. I just hope they cut that awful song by Joanna in beginning with the bird...

You also saw the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn version on DVD, I take it? Don't worry, I also have the soundtrack and minus that particular Johanna, it's a great song.

EDIT: George Hearn, not Patrick. Where the heck did that come from, anyway?

Pensive Pine
2007-10-13, 06:50 PM
I thought it was George Hearn on the DVD (although I actually saw it on VHS, before DVDs existed/were prevelant (I can't remember exactly...)

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-10-13, 08:30 PM
Hmm, i think the jack Sparrow thing is mostly just a result of a similar accent/ that being a role that fresh on everybody's mind, or at least my mind...

prongs43
2007-10-17, 05:31 AM
I think that's because Jack Sparrow is close to Depp's normal voice. If you've ever seen Sleepy Hallow, he kind of sounds like Sparrow as Ichabod Crane. The big difference is that he's not slurring his words like Jack Sparrow does.

Greebo
2007-10-17, 08:19 AM
You also saw the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn version on DVD, I take it? Don't worry, I also have the soundtrack and minus that particular Johanna, it's a great song.

EDIT: George Hearn, not Patrick. Where the heck did that come from, anyway?
I hope so because I have the VHS and the soundtrack and in both cases, I *loathe* that song...