PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a STR based, mounted halfling fighter with TWF, dual-wielder and 2 lances

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 03:32 PM
In lieu of a recent discussion, I thought I'd throw this idea out there. Take a really big and strong halfling fighter who's at a disadvantage to other races but really good at fighting with two REALLY BIG knives(lances), place it on a medium sized mount and give it dual wielder. Following the rules is this broken, or just plain ridiculous? Or am I missing something?

Kyutaru
2019-06-15, 03:47 PM
Sir Didymus would approve of such a build. It's not all that crazy and I can see you never dismounting in combat given the stature of the character.

stoutstien
2019-06-15, 04:24 PM
In lieu of a recent discussion, I thought I'd throw this idea out there. Take a really big and strong halfling fighter who's at a disadvantage to other races but really good at fighting with two REALLY BIG knives(lances), place it on a medium sized mount and give it dual wielder. Following the rules is this broken, or just plain ridiculous? Or am I missing something?
Need to go caviler for the mounted buffs and to keep your steed alive.

Brookshw
2019-06-15, 04:44 PM
Will you call your attack "giving it the horns"?

Can you get favored enemy or similar vs. windmills?

Lunali
2019-06-15, 05:29 PM
Just to add to the hilarity, those aren't really big knives, those are full sized lances you have mounted to your mastiff (or w/e)

Sparky McDibben
2019-06-15, 06:06 PM
Their heraldric motto is "Sun's Out, Guns Out."

Dualswinger
2019-06-15, 06:14 PM
Go swords bard and gain your mount through find (Greater) steed.

Tenders transformation yourself. The buff applies to your mount as well. Go full greyskull

sithlordnergal
2019-06-15, 06:22 PM
Broken? No, not at all. I've messed with this build multiple times. My only issue is that I am bound by AL rules, which makes this build difficult to pull off

Contrast
2019-06-15, 07:00 PM
...but really good at fighting with two REALLY BIG knives(lances)

I mean these 'knives' are long enough to grant reach so I don't really think you can quite get away with that fluffwise in my opinion.

Other than that I'd consider doing it as a paladin instead of fighter so you can at least re-summon a mount when it (inevitably) dies. I would also carry some other weapons around with you for when being mounted isn't an option for whatever reason.

Also, depending on how your GM operates, keep in mind you may well never find a magic lance, let alone two.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 07:05 PM
My only issue is that I am bound by AL rules, which makes this build difficult to pull off

Is this due to a combination of point buy, the lack of a bonus to STR, and starting equipment packs lacking mounts?

Kyutaru
2019-06-15, 07:44 PM
Other than that I'd consider doing it as a paladin instead of fighter so you can at least re-summon a mount when it (inevitably) dies.

Or be a necromancer and build your own mount out of parts from other people's mounts.

sithlordnergal
2019-06-15, 07:45 PM
Is this due to a combination of point buy, the lack of a bonus to STR, and starting equipment packs lacking mounts?

Its due to point buy and lack of a strength bonus. I can get decent stats, but I'll only have a 14 strength. In order for the build to work perfectly, I need Mounted Combatant, Dual Wielder, 20 Charisma, and 18 strength. At best I can get Mounted Combatant, Dual Wielder, 16 Strength, and 20 charisma

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 07:53 PM
Other than that I'd consider doing it as a paladin instead of fighter so you can at least re-summon a mount when it (inevitably) dies. I would also carry some other weapons around with you for when being mounted isn't an option for whatever reason.

I like this idea since medium mounts look squishy in the statblock. Maybe start as fighter for TWF, then MC paladin and grab defense fighting style. Backup weapons would be two halfling sized lances(rapiers).

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 08:04 PM
At best I can get Mounted Combatant, Dual Wielder, 16 Strength, and 20 charisma

If a modifier difference of -1 is your biggest gripe I commend you brother.

Damon_Tor
2019-06-15, 08:07 PM
I like this idea since medium mounts look squishy in the statblock. Maybe start as fighter for TWF, then MC paladin and grab defense fighting style. Backup weapons would be two halfling sized lances(rapiers).

Keep in mind, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from using another PC as your mount.

Haldir
2019-06-15, 08:08 PM
If you don't mind UA, Battlesmith Artificer comes with a very nice Built-in Mount that heals with a cantrip and can be replaced every day for free. Also moving your attack stats from STR to INT will help you avoid penalties. Also some really nice spells.

Edit- Forgot to mention the BattleBot has some innate scaling, which probably makes it the best class for mounted combat.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 08:13 PM
Or be a necromancer and build your own mount out of parts from other people's mounts.

Now that's just wicked. Maybe necro/oathbreaker?

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 08:44 PM
Keep in mind, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from using another PC as your mount.

*mounts the flying wizard

sithlordnergal
2019-06-15, 09:08 PM
If a modifier difference of -1 is your biggest gripe I commend you brother.

X3 Well, its a difference of having 16 strength at level 20 vs 18 strength at 20. That 1 can make a lot of difference.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-15, 09:34 PM
Will you call your attack "giving it the horns"?

Yes, he's into metal \m/

Can you get favored enemy or similar vs. windmills?

I'd rule that as favored terrain: Holland