PDA

View Full Version : Casting Spells Remotely, Through the Scrying Glass

unseenmage
2019-06-16, 02:25 AM
What are the ways one can cast spells where one isn't?

I seem to recall that scrying sensors can have some spells cast through them.

Astral Projection.
Familiars.

Can you cast through portals and Ring Gates?

Can you wish for an object on one side of a ring Gate and have the object appear on the other?
Does this count against the Ringg Gate's lbs per day limit?

What other means are there to cast remotely?

noob
2019-06-16, 03:04 AM
What are the ways one can cast spells where one isn't?

Astral Projection.
Familiars.

Can you cast through portals and Ring Gates?

Can you wish for an object on one side of a ring Gate and have the object appear on the other?
Does this count against the Ringg Gate's lbs per day limit?

What other means are there to cast remotely?

there is a specific divination spell that allows to cast evocation spells through it.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-16, 04:08 AM
Void Disciple allows you to cast Stilled Silenced spells as if you were anywhere within 1000 miles, while remaining undetectable to everything that can't see souls and minds (so pretty much everything without Mindsight, and perhaps Magic Jar).
This works by allowing your soul to leave your body and go see what's going on. Very few things in the game can see or attack a wandering soul, and yet it can take purely mental actions.

However note that this ability is very poorly written : your GM will probably limit it somehow if you start really abusing it. It's interesting on high-level enemies though !

Zaq
2019-06-16, 10:30 AM
It’s only Medium range, but this is one of the intended functions of project image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/projectImage.htm).

Getting a little bit more creative, there’s always things like glyph of warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm), that one metamagic feat that turns a spell into a triggerable “don’t step on this square!” trap, and so on. Perhaps not as simple as what you initially described, but it DOES fill the function of casting a spell at a place you aren’t.

Palanan
2019-06-16, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by unseenmage

I could’ve sworn the same thing. I seem to recall being scried on, with bonus effects, by Gulthias while we were in Nightfang Spire or thereabouts.

At one point we were also scried on by Halaster while lost in Undermountain, but I don't recall if there were any spells being cast through the scrying, just his unhinged laughter. That guy really got on my nerves.

Originally Posted by noob
there is a specific divination spell that allows to cast evocation spells through it.

And the name of this spell is…?

Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax
Void Disciple allows you to cast Stilled Silenced spells as if you were anywhere within 1000 miles….

Can you explain how this works? The Void Disciple can remotely sense up to 1000 miles, with a DC 25 Spellcraft check, but I’m not seeing any ability that allows you to cast spells across that range.

The only exceptions are the ability to use Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Discern Lies and Detect Thoughts while sensing remotely, but these spells have no effect on anyone but yourself. Since these are granted as class features at specific levels, it follows that casting any other spells while sensing remotely would be disallowed.

noob
2019-06-16, 10:46 AM
I could’ve sworn the same thing. I seem to recall being scried on, with bonus effects, by Gulthias while we were in Nightfang Spire or thereabouts.

At one point we were also scried on by Halaster while lost in Undermountain, but I don't recall if there were any spells being cast through the scrying, just his unhinged laughter. That guy really got on my nerves.

And the name of this spell is…?

Can you explain how this works? The Void Disciple can remotely sense up to 1000 miles, with a DC 25 Spellcraft check, but I’m not seeing any ability that allows you to cast spells across that range.

The only exceptions are the ability to use Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Discern Lies and Detect Thoughts while sensing remotely, but these spells have no effect on anyone but yourself. Since these are granted as class features at specific levels, it follows that casting any other spells while sensing remotely would be disallowed.

The spell is eye of power.
and I was wrong it is not limited to evocation spells.
also it works like arcane eye so you need to bring the eye close enough.