PDA

View Full Version : Any uses?

doliest
2007-10-06, 10:37 PM
Ok, really, I have a question for people out there, have you ever designed things like settings & Campaigns for no real reason? I mean, Ill design sci-fi settings using Star trek planet rules for no reason other than I'm bored, some times filled them with species and designs, knowing I'd never use them. Just wondering does anyone else do this kind of thing?

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-06, 11:04 PM
Yes, yes I do. Most of the stuff in my sig? Made from boredom. Some of it has become serious projects, but all started as the product of my possession of Far Too Much Free Time.

Machete
2007-10-07, 12:29 AM
Doing so right now.

NOW EDITED

dndHomebrewRaces

Silicon Folk

30 ft. speed

+2 INT -2 CON -2 DEX

10 ft reach long big arms like gorilla

-2 Balance and -2 Tumble skill check Racial Penalties

White with Colored Blotches by region

eat sand and bones

Rock Folk

20 ft. speed

+2 STR -2 DEX -2 WIS

Heavy Load: Tripled carrying capacity.

dr 2/-Adamantine or Magic

Natural Armor +2

Darkvision 20 ft.

Stone Heritage: Affected by spells and items that do damage to Earth Elementals as if they were Earth Elementals.

eat wood and coal and combustibles

Rabbit Folk

+2 DEX -2 WIS

40 ft speed

+2 Jump and +2 Listen Checks Racial Bonus

Tough Hide: Considered as having Natural Armor for purposes of all effects and feat choices besides an actual base AC bonus

Weak Heart: -2 Morale Penalty on all saving throws against fear.

Extreme Alignment- Rabbitfolk are forced to take one extreme part alignment law, chaos, good, or evil.

Lean Metabolism- Rabbitfolk need to eat and drink twice as much as other medium creatures.

No LA Catfolk

30 ft. speed

+4 DEX -2 STR

Low Light Vision

Sprint- A catfolk can double its natural base speed for a number of rounds equal to 2 + its CON modifier. A catfolk is fatigued after using this ability.

Tough Hide: Considered as having Natural Armor for purposes of all effects and feat choices besides an actual base AC bonus

Short Attention Span: Concentration is always a Cross-Class Skill for a Catfolk

Primal Emotions: -2 to all Will Saves

Mushroom folk

+2 CON -4 CHA

Poisonous Flesh: +5 to Saves against poisons, Creatures biting or swallowing a mushroomfolk must make a DC 16 Fort Save or be sickened for 1d4 rounds and vomit up the mushroomfolk if swallowed.

Regeneration- A mushroomfolk regenerates lost limbs and other nonessential body parts when its hitpoints return to full either naturally or magically. Mushroomfolk that are undead or lose their CON score cease to produce spores and lose this ability until they regain a CON score.

Very Murky Eyesight -4 Spot and Search checks

Blindsense 20 ft.

Walrus Folk

-4 INT +2 STR +2 CON

Natural Armor +1

Bite Natural Attack 1d6 damage

Improved Grab (Ex) To use this ability, a Walrus Folk must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

+2 Racial Swim Bonus when wearing Light or No Armor

Mole People

+2 STR -4 WIS

Burrow Speed 5 ft.

Racial Weapon Proficiency- War Shovel 1d8 weapon that deals slashing or bludgeoning damage, 20 Crit x2.

Tremorsense 15 ft.

Darkvision 15 ft.

Front Claws 1d4/1d4 Natural Weapons

-4 Spot and -4 Search Racial Penalties

Light Sensitivity- Mole Folk are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Name and aestetical changes as well as some tweaks will be put in place before the final edit as well as extensive fluff.

Magnor Criol
2007-10-07, 12:30 AM
For just about every game that has one, I'll spend more time in the map / scenario / etc. editor than I will in the game itself.

For example, Neverwinter Nights - even right now I'm tinkering around with a module, and going to great time-consuming lengths to be thorough about simple things. Even though no one but myself will ever play this module - assuming even I play it, which assumes I finish it, which isn't guaranteed - because NWN is now outdated by NWN2.

So, yes. I create things for the sake of creating and no other reason all the time...it's probably my #1 time sinkhole.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-07, 12:37 AM
People make settings for a reason?!? Well, some of my stuff I hope to eventually use (maybe even publish, as if thousands of other people don't have the same goal...), but really, it's for fun.

JackMage666
2007-10-07, 12:39 AM
Y'know, Machete, all but the first one were +1 LA, right?

Also, the greatest example of this is - the d30.

brian c
2007-10-07, 12:52 AM
Y'know, Machete, all but the first one were +1 LA, right?

Also, the greatest example of this is - the d30.

Eh, the Rabbit Folk are fine for LA 0, but the rest should be +1. Maybe even Silicon, because of the 10ft reach.

JackMage666
2007-10-07, 12:55 AM
Eh, the Rabbit Folk are fine for LA 0, but the rest should be +1. Maybe even Silicon, because of the 10ft reach.

Rabbitfolk are too perfect as Rogue's, Scouts, and other Stealth/Quick base races and such. They're really good as Sorcerersand Wizards as well. They're not so good with Divine, but that's the only place they faulter.

I didn't even notive to 10 ft reach - They're all +1 LA.

Machete
2007-10-07, 12:57 AM
Nope, they are all supposed to be LA 0. I like to compare them to the Dwarf, Human, and Gnome to see if they are overpowered.

Like I said, works in progress.

JackMage666
2007-10-07, 01:02 AM
Rock Folk

20 ft. speed

Stonecling 10 ft. Speed as per Spiderclimb on dry, clean stone surfaces but not gem, metal, crystal, dirt, mud, ore, sand, earth, or lava.

+2 STR -2 DEX -2 WIS

Tripled carrying capacity

dr 2/-Magic

Natural Armor +3

Hide in Plain Sight- Only functions in an area (all of their occupied square(s) and all bordering squares) completely made of stone, crystal, dirt, mud, ore, sand, and earth.

Darkvision 40 ft.

Stone Heritage: Affected by spells and items that do damage to Earth Elementals as if they were Earth Elementals.

eat wood and coal and combustibles

Natural Armor, Damage Reduction (though weak), and most importantly Hide in Plane Sight, warrants at least +1 LA. The overal -2 ability score doesn't displace it enough.

I could do the others and send them to you in a PM, if you'd like, but they are all overpowered compared to base races.

Machete
2007-10-07, 01:17 AM
Please see edits, still works in progress.

Fluff has to be written up, and then the crunch rewrote to meet the fluff.