PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 psionic powers and the need to change class levels

samduke
2019-06-16, 11:13 AM
well pretty much like the title says this is for 3.5, we have a psionic class character with psionic powers and they need to change 8 class levels.

the question is how to do this by raw.
psychic reformation only does skills, feats, powers not levels from what I have seen.

we can use metamorphisis with Metamorphic Transfer for some SU love, but is there a 9 HD monster to turn into that has an EX or SU that could solve the whole question.
The only spell I can think of would be limited wish, wish, miracle or the like for certain to solve it and those are exp heavy.

So is there an easier, cheaper, better way to reset those class levels by raw?

Crichton
2019-06-16, 11:32 AM
well pretty much like the title says this is for 3.5, we have a psionic class character with psionic powers and they need to change 8 class levels.

the question is how to do this by raw.
psychic reformation only does skills, feats, powers not levels from what I have seen.

we can use metamorphisis with Metamorphic Transfer for some SU love, but is there a 9 HD monster to turn into that has an EX or SU that could solve the whole question.
The only spell I can think of would be limited wish, wish, miracle or the like for certain to solve it and those are exp heavy.

So is there an easier, cheaper, better way to reset those class levels by raw?

I'm a bit confused by your question, but it sounds like you have a character who wants to change their choice of class level, for 8 of their levels? There's rules for that in PHB2, starting on page 196. It typically involves your character going on an extended, challenging quest, at the end of which they can rebuild 1/5 of their class levels.

There are no powers or spells, or monster special abilities I'm aware of that allow you to just cast them and then re-choose your class levels. As you mention, Psychic Reformation doesn't extend it's abilities that far.

If you're referencing metamorphosis into 9hd creatures, is it safe to assume the character in question is level 9? So they want to rebuild 8 of their 9 class levels? At that point they're effectively not even the same character. Maybe just talk to the DM about retiring them and replacing them with a new character?

MisterKaws
2019-06-16, 11:58 AM
Kill him off and find another PC for the player. Or just re-stat him and keep playing. It's that easy as long as it's not grossly overdone, like changing from an Elf Wizard into a Minotaur Barbarian. If it's just changing from Ardent to Wilder or Psion, you can just do as I said if the DM isn't too stuck-up.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-06-16, 12:01 PM
PH2, Chapter 8 has rules on rebuilding a character, including changing class levels.

Ryton
2019-06-16, 01:02 PM
Well, you could use a Thought Bottle to store the characters current XP value, then use your method of choice to apply permanent negative levels until the unwanted levels have been removed. Since RAW the Bottle only preserves the XP value, they could arguably then use the Bottle to rebuild their character from there.

Ramza00
2019-06-16, 01:15 PM
You need your DM to insert a gem of rebooting such as this Marvel X-Men lore.

https://uncannyxmen.net/objects/siege-perilous (note there are 3 pages for this description so click next.)

samduke
2019-06-16, 02:03 PM
Short of the phb2 option i think thought bottle and negative levels might work

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-06-16, 02:34 PM
Well, you could use a Thought Bottle to store the characters current XP value, then use your method of choice to apply permanent negative levels until the unwanted levels have been removed. Since RAW the Bottle only preserves the XP value, they could arguably then use the Bottle to rebuild their character from there.This should work.

If your DM won't let you use negative levels like that, if you're human (or half-human, or have either the Human Heritage or Human Blooded feat), store your XP in the bottle, become an elan, then use the bottle. That...might work?

Silva Stormrage
2019-06-16, 02:36 PM
Psychic reformation doesn't state that it can't change levels only that "The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels".

What "Decisions of these sorts" means varies from DM to DM (Myself and my group allows psychic reformation to change class levels).

RNightstalker
2019-06-16, 03:02 PM
PHBII has the rebuilding "rules", but a simpler solution might be rebuilding a "new" character, depending on how high the party is, if 8 levels is more than half, it would spare a lot of headaches.

Why is there a need to change levels anyway?

Rebel7284
2019-06-16, 09:29 PM
Even if the DM rules that the thought bottle doesn't work, level drain by itself does work.
1. Get level drained to level 1.
2. Gain new levels as you level up.
"Experience is a river" concept means that you will catch up again very fast IF you survive.