PDA

View Full Version : Monsters as PC's (IC, 3.P)

Covenant12
2019-06-16, 04:45 PM
Midday Uktar 25, 1372 DR, the Year of Wild Magic. In Sundabar, the Silver Reaches, the Savage Frontier, Faerun. You are all seated around a stone table, with several stone ledges and chairs of various sizes to accommodate nearly anyone. This table is one of thirty (the others are fairly conventional, seating around a dozen), at a great feast in a large courtyard in the center of the city. This feast is both a thank you from the city, and a celebration of the breaking of the siege from the orcish hordes. There is a great bonfire in the center of the courtyard, with a variety of (again, conventional) animals roasting on spits around it. Past that is the tables loaded with food, and seating tables outside that. The warmth from the bonfire is a welcome change from the chill days recently, even at midday.

This siege of Sundabar lasted 16 days. All of you were in Sundabar for various reasons, when the horde struck. At that time, adventurers, freelance soldiers, mercenaries, and various combat-effective individuals were given a choice: A: Pay inflated and increasing prices for rooms in inns and food, for an uncertain length and hope the siege fails. B: Join the militia, get 3 hots and cot, and a stipend after the end of the siege. As well as supplies of ammunition and healing potions/spell support, and the like. You would then be assigned to defend the inner wall of Sundabar. This is not the first time the city has offered this deal (or the 10th). By rule, militia can never be ordered to leave the safety of the inner wall, only shoot from atop it and defend it.

The orcs’ siege was not overly effective. There were some pitched battles outside the city and between the walls, but they rarely got over the inner wall. Even then it was only a few, and they didn’t live long. There are many small groups of orcs remaining outside the walls, but none within a few miles, and most of them in hiding.

The militia are a motley crew, as many are adventurers this is not especially shocking. Your unit was even more so, assigned special tasks and scouting, occasionally referred to as the “misfits”. Most of the others were dwarves and humans, with a sprinkling of elves and half-elves, and a few other demihumans. Of particular note are the Thayan forces. While not in the militia, they have three tables allocated for them. Two tables each having a clear red wizard leader, with several grey robed wizards to either side. As most Thayans, they have no visible hair, including eyebrows. They keep to themselves, take little food, and all look to have goblets of wine only. Their third table is occupied solely by a mercenary named Kreel. He stands roughly 9’ tall of wiry, corded muscle. He is believed to be a troll, but stands more upright, has minimal green tone to his skin (more grey than green), and wears impeccably kept armor and gear. (including breastplate for his size) His only visible weapon is the largest truncheon you have ever seen, laying on the chair next to him. He has multiple empty large plates in front of him, as well as three oversized flasks.

The Thayans are a recent addition to Sundabar, the enclave being built just last year. This actually is outside the double walls of the city and has its own solitary stone wall. The understanding was the Thayans would defend that section, and they did. Kreel was the anchor to that force, conservatively killing over one hundred orcs himself. Though they had other mercenaries, they relied more on constructs and spell support. The Thayan enclave is blatantly and purely for trade. Sundabar is situated well between the Anauroch desert and Silverymoon, and on a major trade road besides. The Thayans are not actually trusted, as they generally have openly stated their preference of conquering Faerun in its entirety. For over two years they have focused purely on trade and made no known attacks on any country. Their enclaves are excellent trading emporiums, offering minor magical items at a 10% discount over normal price. This makes them very popular with adventurers. They pay Sundabar handsomely for permission to have the enclave, as well as accepting strict restrictions. Primarily no slavery or necromancy of any kind, and that any major crime in an enclave can be appealed to the city itself. This was an unusual concession, as more often Thayan enclaves are considered part of Thay itself, and fully subject to its laws.

Sundabar itself is a double-walled city of roughly 15,000. Approximately 40% human, 40% dwarf, 10% split of elf and half-elf, with the rest being a mix of demihumans and miscellaneous. It is positioned over very rich mines, including perhaps the most plentiful adamantite outside the Underdark. Sundabar is famed as producing some of the best magical weapons on Faerun.

A long stone table along one side of the circle contains a burly human with an impressive salt-and-pepper beard. He wears a visible symbol of Mielikki around his neck. He is flanked by five dwarves, none young, and one elderly human. They all wear either mithril chain shirts or wizard’s robes. (he wears a chain shirt) He is well known as Helm Dwarf-Friend, mayor of Sundabar. He stands, holds up a stone mug, and asks for silence. He then addresses all present at the feast:

Helm Dwarf-Friend: “My greetings, and thank you from myself and the people of Sundabar. This feast traditionally marks the end of the siege, and return to normal for its people. All of you performed bravely, and can collect your stipend when you leave or as desired near the entrance to this park.”
(Note: add 300 gp to your character sheet when you do)

“I hope you enjoy this feast, and are invited to stay as long as you please. The food and drink are on us and will be available until roughly midnight. I ask that you remain civil to all present, as you should at this point consider each other comrades-in-arms.”

“As many of you here, I was once both a mercenary and occasional adventurer. Those seeking fortune and glory may wish to consult the loremasters for opportunities in that regard. More directly, while not at war we are still fully in conflict with the orcs at this point. Any strictly freelance persons are hereby informed that a bounty of 50 gold an orc is posted, starting this morning and lasting at least a tenday. This is limited to orcs roughly within 50 miles from the city. Again, the loremasters may have information on where orcs may be hiding, or directly from some of our sergeants you served under. More typical adventurer tasks may also be found in the two primary inns suited to them, ‘Eights and Aces’ and the ‘Flying Monk Tavern’.”

“Finally, I want to say that my thanks are not hyperbole. I do feel loyal to those who have fought for Sundabar, and am able and willing to give personal advice and assistance to those who need it. I have contacts in most cities within several days ride, and can provide them for many others.”
“That aside, cheers to the success of the militia of Sundabar!”

(Raises mug to loud cheers, drinks a large gulp, and sits down.)
OOC thread is located here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?590032-(3-P)-Monsters-as-PC-s-OOC)

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 05:09 PM
Lassie raises her mug high, and downs it in one long draught. Ah. Good dwarven brew, nothing like it!

samduke
2019-06-16, 05:51 PM
lei while not much for strong drink raise a mug in response to the speech, turning to the others in her group well hobbes, my friend seems some orc are available for hunting.. scanning the group shall we?

JonU
2019-06-16, 08:46 PM
Hobbes listens to the dwarf speak over a mountain of meat, both cooked and raw. As the dwarf raises his mug, Hobbes follows suit and finishes off what was in the cup. When Lei speaks to him he pauses between bites and says Yeah, that wouldn't be bad side money. Perhaps we should stop by one of the inns and see what they may have. He then takes another bite of his food before finishing his thought I'm figuring this party will probably last a while; we could move over to one of those two inns when we are done here. With that said, Hobbes turns his attention back to the massive pile of meat. The raw meat, which he had to get straight from the cooks, still has the bone in it. As he finishes those pieces, he slides the bones into his bag as snacks for later. One other thing, he whispers to Lei, I would like to find a place to store my money. Walking around with 300gp is not a smart idea.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 08:56 PM
Lassy frowns a little. Now, look-I know we might not live here, but is antagonizing those who hate these folk really the best idea? It won't solve any of the root causes. Wouldn't it be better to try to find a more permanent solution?

tonberryking
2019-06-16, 09:31 PM
"Hrmph. They probably don't want someone like me getting drunk in here."

Ellenallen had had two flagons and was into her third, but she doesn't seem that much drunk or enjoying the hearty brew. A stone bench was dragged in from somewhere to keep things from being even more awkward for the militia member who may well be the only centaur in the city. Ellenallen laid her lower half over it so she could sit without her four legs uncomfortably folded below her on the bare floor. It miraculously held her body weight, but there was an ever looming weight on her mind.

Though she hadn't particularly liked her limited options when pressed to join the militia, she was obviously working through some pent up aggression with the way she met the orcs' brutality with her own savagery. Ellenallen was fairly sure the dwarves had already given her a nickname but she didn't know what the words meant, and being cooped up in this tavern was starting to get to her, her cropped tail flicking with agitation even now.

She needs something to do. A task, anything to take her mind off brooding.

DaOldeWolf
2019-06-16, 10:36 PM
Luin thanked the dwarf. "Thank you very much! It was a pleasure to be of service. I can olnly hope that we can meet on better cirumstances another day." Luin was still looking for clues for the statue. Still, it was always good to get more money to be better equipped in searching for it. He didnt expect much attention from anyone due to his small size. At the very least, he could enjoy some food even if dwarven wasnt exactly his favorite.

JonU
2019-06-17, 06:10 PM
As Hobbes finishes up his meal, he looks over at Lassy and says Lassy, I don't know that the folks of this city are to concerned with antagonizing the orcs considering how many times the orcs have attacked over the years. Hobbes then takes a look around the table before finishing, I'm going to head over to the Eights and Aces Inn. I want to get a room before all these people and maybe get a lead on another job. If you want to stay here Lei and keep partying, I'll grab you a room as well. With that he picks up his bag and his Earthbreaker and makes his way to the inn. Once he gets there and has his room (and Lei's if she asks), he heads back down to the bar area of the inn and sits in a corner. From the corner he watches the comings and goings and eavesdrops on nearby conversations while gnawing on one of the bones.

I'm assuming it would either be late afternoon or early evening by the time the speech was given.

Stevesciguy
2019-06-17, 06:45 PM
Lassy frowns a little. Now, look-I know we might not live here, but is antagonizing those who hate these folk really the best idea? It won't solve any of the root causes. Wouldn't it be better to try to find a more permanent solution?

"What would you suggest? While you aren't wrong, these orcs have been raised from birth to believe that it is their place to domineer over others, and to take what they want by force. It is rare, but there is such a thing as 'too far gone.'"

Covenant12
2019-06-17, 07:00 PM
Lassy frowns a little. Now, look-I know we might not live here, but is antagonizing those who hate these folk really the best idea? It won't solve any of the root causes. Wouldn't it be better to try to find a more permanent solution?A slender male elf with blonde hair and deeply bronzed skin (unusual near here, but not unheard of) addresses you: "Well said. And Silverymoon would likely agree, they offically and formally object to these bounties each time they are given." Some side glances from grumbling dwarves don't appear to feel the same, but they return to their ale soon enough. "That stated, Sundabar is diligent in announcing that the rare orcs meaning no harm should leave immediately. I often guard and scout for merchant caravans. The next month will be quite dangerous. If you see orcs, even the kindest person among you I'd suggest you not let them get in close. I will not be collecting the bounty, but if I kill no orcs in the next few tendays I'd be well shocked."He looks to be drinking mead, somewhat unusual for elves.

"What would you suggest? While you aren't wrong, these orcs have been raised from birth to believe that it is their place to domineer over others, and to take what they want by force. It is rare, but there is such a thing as 'too far gone.'""Sadly I have no ideal solutions. Long-term ideas tend to involve a war of annihilation, which I and Silverymoon would forcefully object to. They have limited resources and breed at an absurd rate. Status and respect are given to those who take valuables, especially weapons by force. I don't think any humanoid is irredeemable, but most orcs are not remotely trying. I am Ilimaris by the way, I apologize if I was intruding."

One of the mentioned dwarven sergeants, though not one you directly served under, approaches the group. "If you've had enough of orcs for a bit, the two inns mentioned are your best bet for variety. If you do, tell them Storn sent you. I know both the innkeepers well. If you want something specific, our loremasters are likely the most knowledgeable anywhere I've been. Save Waterdeep and perhaps Silverymoon. And my thanks for your service." He drifts away, holding a mug of ale but he doesn't seem to be drinking. He has a distracted and puzzled look.

Edit: it is almost 3PM, but dark comes early this time of year this far north.

JNAProductions
2019-06-17, 08:44 PM
Peace, if possible, Lassy says. She places a hand on her sword (still in its sheathe, of course) Or such overwhelming force that they never dare fight again if not. I'm an archon-we believe in offering redemption and second chances to everyone. But that doesn't mean we'll stand for evil.

samduke
2019-06-18, 10:32 AM
Lei gives hobbes some coin to get her a room, then continues listening to the conversation at hand, Well ladies and gents, if there are peaceful orc out there then let them leave, if there are non-peaceful ones I say slay them outright. As for other possible jobs the inns may have the answer, I shall go with hobbes to the Eights and Aces Inn, look at what they offer for jobs and we can discuss our next grand adventure over breakfast in the morning. with that she excuses herself and heads to the Eights and Aces Inn, upon arrival asks around about potential jobs and what they might offer for pay, then after getting that information will get her room key and head off to bed.

Covenant12
2019-06-18, 09:30 PM
Hobbes approaches the Eights and Aces inn without event, though most take effort to not be directly in his way. Outside the main doors, a stocky shield dwarf wearing a breastplate and holding a truncheon at hand takes a long look at him. Eventually lowering his raised and incredibly bushy eyebrows, he decides on: "Be careful with the furniture." and holds one of the twin doors open for him.

This inn has a large tavern occupying the entire ground floor. (presumably the rooms are in the two floors above) Not surprisingly, 6 crowded tables contain a mix of mostly humans and dwarves intent on a variety of card games. There is a very long bar along the far wall, and a bit over a dozen normal tables outside the gambling ones. It is a busy night, but outside the card tables there are a respectable number of empty chairs. Many fail to notice Hobbes's entrance, though several who do look fairly concerned.

A tall (for most human women, anyway) tawny-skinned woman with long, jet-black hair walks up to Hobbes. She holds a full tray of drinks easily. Hello, and welcome to Eights and Aces! A bit big there, even for my tastes....whatcanIgetya?"

Back in the courtyard: Ilimaris says "Again, well said. I do suggest you stay quite vigilant outside the walls of Sundabar. Nothing nearby can truly be called settled. That said, 'good luck, and godspeed on whevever your life's quest leads you.'" He then raises his drink and returns to his meal.

JNAProductions
2019-06-18, 09:36 PM
Lassy, after downing another mug, joins Hobbes on his journey to the inn. When approached by the woman, she responds with Something meaty and rare, if you would.

DaOldeWolf
2019-06-19, 12:45 AM
Luin heard about the inn. It was probably a good idea to find a place to sleep. When you are small and the outdoors isnt exactly a friendly area, he had to make sure to find a place to stay. He decided to follow to the tavern and book a room. Whatever the cost, he could probably pay at least one night. "Hello! I am looking for a room to stay in." he asks in a loud voice hoping to be heard of.

tonberryking
2019-06-19, 04:45 PM
"Well, if you two are going to the Eights and Aces, I'll go to the other Inn. Where should we meet tomorrow and discuss work options?"

Ellenallen mutters a half hearted request for Lei and Hobbes to come find her if they find a job at the first inn, getting to her hooves, and only staying long enough to hear their response. She honestly doesn't think rounding up orcs is such a bad idea so soon after the siege-- a hunt would slow down any attempts to amass another invading force any time soon-- but has no patience to argue the ethics involved. The centaur was getting very cross just sitting and listening to others argue, but waouldit have been right to demand they stop spoiling her meal? She just snorted. This group tolerates her more than... others have, better to just quit the scene rather than burn bridges.

She takes whatever longest route to The Flying Monk as she can; the dark doesn't bother her, and she's hardly drunk. Still... the appearance of the dark coated centaur may be awkward if the Inn's not able to accommodate quadrapeds.

"Oy! Do you have job offers here? ...And room for one such as myself?"

Given Ellenallen's unusualness, and she's kind of a jerk, I may need to roll diplo: [roll0]

Covenant12
2019-06-19, 10:16 PM
Lassy, after downing another mug, joins Hobbes on his journey to the inn. When approached by the woman, she responds with Something meaty and rare, if you would.At this point most of you have found a table, even a larger chair for Hobbes.

The black haired waitress says: Name's Tess, happy to get what you need. Extra rare steak we can do, and most meats in general. Hope you weren't aiming for our famous vegetable stew, though. Not much there but potatoes and stale bread. Rooms we have as well, most merchants left as soon as the roads were halfway clear. We're thankful for the militia, so tonight you can a nice room with a lock for a gold. Two small beds or one large, share if you like. Bunk in the common room is a silver, but we do have lockers for that. Drinks first though? Most of our customers stick to our ale, well above average here.

You overhear many conversations about fighting and hunting orcs, the majority of which you are sure are drunken lies. There are large caravans leading both west to Silverymoon, and east across the desert. The latter no one seems to find appealing, a long trek through a wasteland. Some may be still hiring. You hear bits and pieces of the Red Wizards expanding their trade wares, as well as hiring. Not the favorite employer, but they pay well. There is mention of an old crypt to north.. It sounds to be well explored in the past, but tends to find new inhabitants too often. A few mentions of disappointment with the innkeeper's offering, a tall, burly clean-shaven man in what looks to be solid grey but tailored work clothes.

At the Flying monk tavern, Ellenallen's self-introduction goes over well, even to some drunken cheers. One particularly drunken dwarf yells out "Ay! Ush milishia 'ave to stick together! Put 'er drinks on my tab." A nearby waitress seems leery but makes a small note in pencil. He invites you to his table, 4 dwarves and 2 humans well into celebration mode. The small blonde waitress says Rooms we have, a gold per night with breakfast included. We have bunks in the common room, but no offense meant I don't think you'd find them comfortable. Innkeeper usually knows about mercenary or adventurer work, he's by the counter with the keys above it. His name's Dorn. Ale or mead to start?

JNAProductions
2019-06-19, 10:32 PM
Don't think we're quite comfortable enough with one another to share a bed just yet, Lassy says with a chuckle. But ale and steak sounds wonderful.

Cocking an ear towards the most egregious of the liars, Lassy listens a little more carefully, seeing what exactly he's saying.

samduke
2019-06-19, 10:44 PM
After getting the information about the large caravans leading west to Silverymoon, and bits and pieces of the Red Wizards possibly hiring, Lei will grab her key and go to bed then meet up wit the others to discuss the jobs other than hunting orcs.

JonU
2019-06-20, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I think we'll have separate rooms. However, I would like the largest pitcher filled with the best ale you have! Hobbes leans back against the wall in his chair while he listens to the stories. One in particular catches his ear however as he hears a random dwarf claiming he did something that Hobbes actually did. Hobbes couldn't let it go and got up and casually walked over to the table. As he walked up he dropped his hammer with a rather loud thud. As he leaned over to the dwarf, he whispered I think you got your story mixed up. He looks up at the table and back at him then says to the group I'm all for a good story, but be careful of who's around when you claim to do something you could never do. With that said, Hobbes picks his massive hammer up and goes back to relaxing in his chair.

After a few hours of drinking, socializing, and getting proper credit to those who deserve it (really just limited to what he saw his group do in action), Hobbes talks things over with Lei, Lassy, and any other members of the small group that are present. Making sure to go find the others that went to the flying monk in the morning.

Once the meeting is over he heads up to his room and pulls a bone out of his bag chews on it till he falls a sleep. In the morning he gets dressed and heads downstairs to get breakfast while he waits on the others to wake up.

Covenant12
2019-06-20, 08:36 PM
Lei mostly picks up that while caravans to Silverymoon are common, they are relatively safer and guards/mercenaries paid less. Enough to make a profit, never get rich. The Red Wizards often hire guards/mercenaries to help search for rare material components, or magic in old ruins. They were, until recently, too busy protecting themselves for adventuring. The Red Wizards and their apprentices mostly kept to themselves at the militia celebration. They often post publicly for adventurers, but haven't today. Their enclave also does hiring, rumors say dealing with illegal goods and worse.

Lassy listens to a human in studded leather go to impressive lengths, often with quite skilled comedic timing, describing both epic solo battles with dozens of orcs, and narrow escapes from dragons and vampires. It isn't likely he's much believed, but he's a good enough story teller to be steadily bought drinks. There are a group of four humans, also in studded leather but much more travel worn, one-upping each other with stories of battles against giants, trolls, and demons. They are tall and muscular (two men, two women), and from what you overheard Rashemi barbarians, far from home. They all have very long hair, various shades of reddish-brown. Between their scars and gear, a decent fraction of those stories may be true. One male details a battle with a Red Wizard and a horde of zombies and skeletons. He mutters something about "witches" saving him in that one, none of them seem comfortable with the term. They claim to be traveling west tomorrow with the roads clear, they are on a term that doesn't translate well.
As they describe it, it sounds similar to the Australian "walkabout" in the real world. Both to broaden horizons and prove themselves.

The dwarf Hobbes leans over turns fairly pale, which is a lot of work for a gold dwarf. Some were displeased by this, but outnumbered by recent militia releases. Some of the dwarves never seem to fully stop drinking, but eventually things quiet down towards midnight.

In the Flying Monk, Dorn the innkeeper overhears Ellenallen and is impressed by her self-confidence. A swarthy and overweight human with a flushed face, he approaches and mentions in a low tone: "Too much for just you I think, even as strong as you look. But if you have other militia or friends interested, a gnome I know was looking for some competent help. He wasn't finding what he wanted this afternoon, and turned in early. Towards the end he was even offering a decent chunk up front, I could have him meet you in the morning if you want."

JNAProductions
2019-06-20, 09:13 PM
Lassy, while planning on doing what Hobbes was, decides against it. It's clear that for the man she's listening most to, none believe his tall tales-or at least, none believe him for long. But they're entertained and happy, even if they know it's fiction-hardly worth troubling the man over.

Stevesciguy
2019-06-20, 09:22 PM
Having become totally lost in thought, Zarakiel eventually returns to his surroundings, finding himself alone at the table. Feeling mildly embarrassed at his absent-mindedness, he quietly collects his earnings before casually flying over towards the Flying Monk. Although he had no need for food or sleep, he preferred a warm room to the cold night air. Finding the place quiet, he asks for a room - deciding to meet up with the others in the morning - and then promptly becomes lost in thought once more.

tonberryking
2019-06-21, 09:05 AM
"I know a few other people looking for work. We can manage."

Ellenallen asks the innkeeper what kind of job the gnome was offering, if he knows, as well as asking for a time and place to meet up. Following this, she politely (for her, anyway) joins the dwarven revelers for *a* drink and whatever it is they're eating. A drunk centaur is bad enough. A drunk centaur warlock is even worse and she nurses her drink accordingly before paying for a room rather than embarrass herself at the bunks. She's not the best reveler herself but she can be loud and just bellows in agreement with the drunks for a while before finally retiring.

Telling the staff to wake her an hour before the gnome arrives, she hopes sleep finds her first, without nightmares nor false hopes of memories of her prior life.

Covenant12
2019-06-21, 05:26 PM
"I know a few other people looking for work. We can manage."

Ellenallen asks the innkeeper what kind of job the gnome was offering, if he knows, as well as asking for a time and place to meet up. Following this, she politely (for her, anyway) joins the dwarven revelers for *a* drink and whatever it is they're eating. A drunk centaur is bad enough. A drunk centaur warlock is even worse and she nurses her drink accordingly before paying for a room rather than embarrass herself at the bunks. She's not the best reveler herself but she can be loud and just bellows in agreement with the drunks for a while before finally retiring.

Telling the staff to wake her an hour before the gnome arrives, she hopes sleep finds her first, without nightmares nor false hopes of memories of her prior life.Dorn: "That was a bit odd. He's a successful merchant in Sundabar, but he wanted a small plot of land cleared of danger before use. I wasn't aware he owned any, he has shop in the city. Presumably much of the danger being violent. I can have someone wake you if he's up first.

Zarakiel flying does cause some commotion, some of the watch call for reinforcements. The bouncer at the Flying Monk is silent as he enters, and for whatever reason none of the watch or shieldsar enter.

Tess didn't directly respond to Luin Whitefur's question, or simply didn't hear it. (there was moderate yelling at the time) A short, blonde haired woman in robes approaches, blushing moderately. (Common)"I hope this isn't rude, but are you an actual dragon? I study them as a hobby, but I don't recall reading of one with your coloration.""Or in Draconic, if you prefer. I rarely get to speak it with anyone but my master, and him not often."

At this point it is mid-late evening. Inside you can't hear the hourly bells, and in this region rarely are people accurate about time anyways. Ellenallen, Zarakiel, and Lei have recently retired for the evening. Eights and Aces is down to three active card tables. Half the heavy drinkers have passed out, hopefully somewhere safe. The Rashemi barbarians are at a corner table casually discussing something in their own language.

DaOldeWolf
2019-06-22, 04:38 PM
Dorn: "That was a bit odd. He's a successful merchant in Sundabar, but he wanted a small plot of land cleared of danger before use. I wasn't aware he owned any, he has shop in the city. Presumably much of the danger being violent. I can have someone wake you if he's up first.

Zarakiel flying does cause some commotion, some of the watch call for reinforcements. The bouncer at the Flying Monk is silent as he enters, and for whatever reason none of the watch or shieldsar enter.

Tess didn't directly respond to Luin Whitefur's question, or simply didn't hear it. (there was moderate yelling at the time) A short, blonde haired woman in robes approaches, blushing moderately. (Common)"I hope this isn't rude, but are you an actual dragon? I study them as a hobby, but I don't recall reading of one with your coloration.""Or in Draconic, if you prefer. I rarely get to speak it with anyone but my master, and him not often."

At this point it is mid-late evening. Inside you can't hear the hourly bells, and in this region rarely are people accurate about time anyways. Ellenallen, Zarakiel, and Lei have recently retired for the evening. Eights and Aces is down to three active card tables. Half the heavy drinkers have passed out, hopefully somewhere safe. The Rashemi barbarians are at a corner table casually discussing something in their own language.

Luin is surprised by how he was easily identified as a fake. There wasnt much point in hiding it though. "Yes, it is true. This was a magical form gained through a miscast spell. That is the reason behind my strange appearance." Luin replied trying to keep himslef from giving too much details on the subject. Still, it was better to be straight, at least to some level on the matter.

Covenant12
2019-06-22, 07:59 PM
Luin is surprised by how he was easily identified as a fake. There wasnt much point in hiding it though. "Yes, it is true. This was a magical form gained through a miscast spell. That is the reason behind my strange appearance." Luin replied trying to keep himslef from giving too much details on the subject. Still, it was better to be straight, at least to some level on the matter."That seems to be a fortunate result, to me. I look forward greatly to being able to fly, even for a short while. Break Enchantment can reverse a great many things, it isn't often clear which it can or can't. Sadly beyond my skills and I'm fairly certain my master's, either. I'll see what I can find on the subject but I don't recall anything on this."(Common) I'm sorry, that was rude of me to intrude. I rarely get a chance to speak Draconic as often as I read it lately. I'm an apprentice conjurer, my name is Rowan. I should probably be going. My master is out late celebrating the end of the siege, but arriving home later than him would be unpleasant. *To Luin* If I find anything I'll leave a note with the innkeeper. If you want to speak to me or my master about it, ask for the Sepret residence near the Hall of Vigilance. Hard to miss." Rowan curtseys and walk towards the door, lost in thought.

DaOldeWolf
2019-06-24, 07:58 PM
"That seems to be a fortunate result, to me. I look forward greatly to being able to fly, even for a short while. Break Enchantment can reverse a great many things, it isn't often clear which it can or can't. Sadly beyond my skills and I'm fairly certain my master's, either. I'll see what I can find on the subject but I don't recall anything on this."(Common) I'm sorry, that was rude of me to intrude. I rarely get a chance to speak Draconic as often as I read it lately. I'm an apprentice conjurer, my name is Rowan. I should probably be going. My master is out late celebrating the end of the siege, but arriving home later than him would be unpleasant. *To Luin* If I find anything I'll leave a note with the innkeeper. If you want to speak to me or my master about it, ask for the Sepret residence near the Hall of Vigilance. Hard to miss." Rowan curtseys and walk towards the door, lost in thought.

"Not at all. It was a pleasure having this bit of conversation. " Luin replies with a smile. He was glad about receiving some posible help for his issue. At the very least, there was a chance that they knew some details about magic that he didnt. Afterall, he still had a long way to go. "Thanks for offering. I think I Will gladly take any help I can get on the matter."

Covenant12
2019-06-26, 09:54 PM
Mid-morning Uktar 26, a dusting of snow overnight but otherwise quiet. Though snow fully melts often near the city, the moat is fully frozen over, as you observed on occasion from the fighting on it. Dorn wakes Ellenallen sometime near 8 and sends a runner to Eights and Aces to ask for the party members there. He has one of the larger tables with a hearty breakfast laid out, you have been fully assembled near 9 and a gnome comes down the stairs roughly 15 minutes later. He is a rock gnome, barely over three feet tall, with deep brown skin and a neatly-trimmed goatee. He wears finely tailored clothing nearly matching his skin. Including a fair amount of elaborate, fanciful stitching woven in. He has a friendly grin as he approaches your table, plants his feet and announces himself.

(Common)"Greeting and salutations! I am Jorbis Silverton. My friend Dorn informs me you may be able to help me out of a predicament I find myself in. I've recently come into possession of some prime farmland not far outside the city. Sadly, the fort designed for defense of my property is otherwise occupied. A scout who went near said he saw humanoids from a distance, though surprisingly they did not look to be orcish. The short version is I need those occupants out in the next few days so I can move in. I believe Dorn mentioned partial payment up front. If you'd be willing to sign a standard adventurer's agreement of intent, I could offer four thousand gold to secure my property. Half up front. Since there look to be seven of you I could make that 2,100 now, 1,900 on completion. I have a rough map from the scout but it isn't hard to find. I'd need you to head out in say, the next five days or I'd need to make other arrangements. I prefer to take a leisurely breakfast at the bar, so feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves."

He tips his head, deep enough it could be considered a slight bow. Jorbis then walks towards Dorn at the bar.

samduke
2019-06-27, 06:52 PM
So this gent wants us to storm a fort designed for defense, fortified by some humanoids of unknown type, rid it of the occupants presumably with minimum damage to the fort. Lei looking about Well it is a job and it pays reasonable.. Hobbes, would you like to storm a fort with me?

Stevesciguy
2019-06-28, 06:11 PM
"Perhaps I could fly over the fort walls and open the gates from the inside? That would make entering considerably more simple."

JonU
2019-06-28, 06:13 PM
It sounds like a decent pay day. But surely you can tell us of any vulnerabilities it may have? I love a good fight, but it doesn't make things easy when they have the advantages of a fortified wall. Hobbes leans back and considers it a moment longer. You know something. If you paid 2100 now and 2100 on completion it would make it rather easy to split up. Either way though, I'm in.

DaOldeWolf
2019-06-28, 07:21 PM
Luin decides to meet up Rowan´s master. He could get a few details that could be useful for his own research at the very least. He went to look for the Sepret residence near the Hall of Vigilance. He still could remember being told that it would be easy to find.

Covenant12
2019-06-29, 08:16 PM
It sounds like a decent pay day. But surely you can tell us of any vulnerabilities it may have? I love a good fight, but it doesn't make things easy when they have the advantages of a fortified wall. Hobbes leans back and considers it a moment longer. You know something. If you paid 2100 now and 2100 on completion it would make it rather easy to split up. Either way though, I'm in.

Jorbis seems to have fairly sharp hearing, stroking his goatee he responds: "There is a wide double gate, and the scout reports the sturdy wooden doors were at one point burned down. Also a porticullis but it was fully up, possibly damaged. From a distance it looked like you could walk in. There is a postern, or side entrance. It isn't easy to spot, but if it was it could be barricaded easily. That would be a tight squeeze for some of you, but I'm sure you could get through. I have the key for that if it would help. The walls are 25' to 30' high. If would be easy for someone with wings to attach a rope or rope ladder to one of the tower roofs, not always the wisest way." He glances over Ellenallen as he says this looking at her hooves, lost in thought. "I was planning on primarily requesting securing the courtyard, two buildings adjoining the walls, and three towers for the full price. The three towers have storage areas beneath, 15' by 15' rooms or so. If you cleared those I'd go an extra 200 gold, so 2100 now, 2100 on my arrival. I have a map as well, sadly only of the ground floor. Only the towers have underground portions, the great hall building never had them completed." He places a map on the table and walks back to Dorn at the bar.

https://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/VlatosWoW/Ground%20Floor.gifJorbis's Map (https://s1220.photobucket.com/user/VlatosWoW/media/Ground%20Floor.gif.html)

Covenant12
2019-06-29, 09:13 PM
Luin arrives in the vicinity of the Hall of Vigilance without incident. A fair amount of intense looks and curious stares, with only a couple mother keeping very small children under strict control. There are four medium sized, two-story houses that look to be entirely made of stone, save sturdy front doors. Though this isn't unheard of in Sundabar, most have some portions of wood, if not closer to half. All four have steady smoke coming from their chimneys. They have large brass placards on their doors, one with "Sepret" in a fanciful font you don't recognize.

On using the sturdy brass knocker, Rowan quickly answers the door. (Common): "Oh, I'm glad you came! I told my master about you, hopefully he knows more than I did. " Rowan then hesitantly touches one of Luin's wings very lightly, blushes, and dashes into the next room. (Common): "Master Sepret! Luin has arrived!" You are currently in a tiny entrance room, well stocked with cloaks, coats, and what looks to be water-resistant gear of various types. The next room is much more impressive, a burly old man wearing dark blue robes stands up from behind a desk to greet you. There are several shelves of books, three on the far wall behind the desk alone. The desk is very well made of a wood type you don't recognize. (could knowledge check if you want, local or nature) He is roughly six feet tall, and hair and beard that were likely black before they went mostly grey. (Draconic) "Greetings. My apprentice told me about your encounter last night. I've never actually seen a faerie dragon, nor met someone who claimed to themselves. Please take any seat if you want. Rowan tells me you are experiencing the effects of a magical misadventure. We both study dragons, as well as obviously, magic itself. I'm not likely to be able to reverse or improve this, but I may know who could. I am Conjurer Sepret, how may I be of service? He then bows slightly, and returns to his seat. There are two seats in front of his desk, two simpler ones at small desks on either side of the room, and three others of various types randomly around the room.

samduke
2019-06-30, 01:16 AM
looking over the map with some detail mentally noting each location, (to those around looking at the map) well going out and examining the fort to see its condition and defensible status should be the first order then ascertain the easiest way in , probably through the front if it is not barricaded, over the wall if it is probably the next, but getting that gate open should be priority I think, then a strict section by section search looking for enemy and ridding the area of them

JNAProductions
2019-06-30, 11:30 AM
Lassy, having heard from the runner of the potential mission, drops in. What'd I miss? What's the plan?

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-01, 08:08 PM
Luin arrives in the vicinity of the Hall of Vigilance without incident. A fair amount of intense looks and curious stares, with only a couple mother keeping very small children under strict control. There are four medium sized, two-story houses that look to be entirely made of stone, save sturdy front doors. Though this isn't unheard of in Sundabar, most have some portions of wood, if not closer to half. All four have steady smoke coming from their chimneys. They have large brass placards on their doors, one with "Sepret" in a fanciful font you don't recognize.

On using the sturdy brass knocker, Rowan quickly answers the door. (Common): "Oh, I'm glad you came! I told my master about you, hopefully he knows more than I did. " Rowan then hesitantly touches one of Luin's wings very lightly, blushes, and dashes into the next room. (Common): "Master Sepret! Luin has arrived!" You are currently in a tiny entrance room, well stocked with cloaks, coats, and what looks to be water-resistant gear of various types. The next room is much more impressive, a burly old man wearing dark blue robes stands up from behind a desk to greet you. There are several shelves of books, three on the far wall behind the desk alone. The desk is very well made of a wood type you don't recognize. (could knowledge check if you want, local or nature) He is roughly six feet tall, and hair and beard that were likely black before they went mostly grey. (Draconic) "Greetings. My apprentice told me about your encounter last night. I've never actually seen a faerie dragon, nor met someone who claimed to themselves. Please take any seat if you want. Rowan tells me you are experiencing the effects of a magical misadventure. We both study dragons, as well as obviously, magic itself. I'm not likely to be able to reverse or improve this, but I may know who could. I am Conjurer Sepret, how may I be of service? He then bows slightly, and returns to his seat. There are two seats in front of his desk, two simpler ones at small desks on either side of the room, and three others of various types randomly around the room.

"Thank you very much for receiving me. I am currently looking for a way to reverse the effects of this magic. At the very least, I am looking for a way to track the creature that was involved in the process to hopefully reverse the whole thing. Do you think you could help me me with either objective?" Luin asks.

Stevesciguy
2019-07-01, 11:02 PM
Lassy, having heard from the runner of the potential mission, drops in. What'd I miss? What's the plan?

"We've been asked to clear this fortress of unknown humanoids. As of yet, we do not have a plan; we are still trying to determine our course of action. The gates are apparently so badly damaged that they're wide open, but due to standard fortress defensive measures - murder holes and the like - attempting to walk through the gates would likely be dangerous."

JNAProductions
2019-07-02, 10:35 AM
I see. Aerial defenses, I'd assume? she replies, flexing her wings a little. Because depending on how good they are, we could pelt them with dropped rocks from above. Not fast, but distracting and effective.

samduke
2019-07-02, 12:19 PM
hard to say what they have for certain without going out there for a bit of scouting then maybe a reasonable plan could be hatched

Covenant12
2019-07-02, 09:11 PM
"Thank you very much for receiving me. I am currently looking for a way to reverse the effects of this magic. At the very least, I am looking for a way to track the creature that was involved in the process to hopefully reverse the whole thing. Do you think you could help me me with either objective?" Luin asks.(Draconic): "I hope you don't mind this:" *Casts spell* Detect Magic Conjurer Sepret pauses for half a minute, then continues: If there was a magical effect, it's long gone. I could try Dispel Magic if you wish, but I'd consider it purely for scientific purposes. The chance of it working is effectively nil. Break Enchantment is more likely, I am close but not quite able to cast it myself. The cleric at the nearby temple could, as well as many Loremasters. None for free I'd expect, sadly. As well as likely not today, they'd have to prepare it tomorrow. And to be honest, I'm not overly confident on Break Enchantment. This seems an unusual kind of instantaneous change. Not easy to reverse."

"Long term I'd be asking for better answers from the Loremasters or the Red Wizards. Both study esoteric magic, the former have a powerful cleric of Mystra, who may also understand this better. And I am willing and able to cast dispel magic, free of charge. Is there more detail about how or where this happened?"

Covenant12
2019-07-02, 09:27 PM
I see. Aerial defenses, I'd assume? she replies, flexing her wings a little. Because depending on how good they are, we could pelt them with dropped rocks from above. Not fast, but distracting and effective.

Jorbis tugs rather strongly at his goatee, gazing into a goblet of wine briefly. He looks up, and says: "No real aerial defense, and from the scouts report not very many humanoids. The southern towers are effectively platforms with low walls for partial cover. The northern two portions are proper buildings ringed with arrow slits, but wouldn't have any real defense against those flying up high enough. Scouting from above should be effective. If you were battering down both gates and portcullis, murder holes would be a real worry from a determined defender. With them apparently burnt to a cinder, it is roughly a 15 foot wide path you could cross quickly. But for the cautious the postern may be best. If you are interested it may be best to leave early tomorrow morning. Even if you left soon it could be pushing dark by the time you arrive. The kind of scouting you are discussing wants solid daylight."

"If you are, we could go to the Master's hall and get a standard adventuring contract this afternoon. Nothing fancy, just clearing the property of undesirables for payment."

tonberryking
2019-07-02, 11:01 PM
Ellenallen stands back from the others, her blue eyes darting from one speaker to the next. She also flicks her tail in annoyance; as fast as she's still growing, she doesn't like the idea of going into a cramped area, but on the other hoof...

"This job feels important. Any old orc or reaver could make use of an abandoned fort if someone doesn't clear it out and then we have another damn siege to coop us up."

From her vantage point above the others she looks over the map, brow furrowing. She's no tactician, but she tries to help. "Hey, your scouts seen anybody going in or out? They just stay there? And were they moving around at night any? If we attack at the right time we can get before they act."

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-03, 12:52 AM
(Draconic): "I hope you don't mind this:" *Casts spell* Detect Magic Conjurer Sepret pauses for half a minute, then continues: If there was a magical effect, it's long gone. I could try Dispel Magic if you wish, but I'd consider it purely for scientific purposes. The chance of it working is effectively nil. Break Enchantment is more likely, I am close but not quite able to cast it myself. The cleric at the nearby temple could, as well as many Loremasters. None for free I'd expect, sadly. As well as likely not today, they'd have to prepare it tomorrow. And to be honest, I'm not overly confident on Break Enchantment. This seems an unusual kind of instantaneous change. Not easy to reverse."

"Long term I'd be asking for better answers from the Loremasters or the Red Wizards. Both study esoteric magic, the former have a powerful cleric of Mystra, who may also understand this better. And I am willing and able to cast dispel magic, free of charge. Is there more detail about how or where this happened?"

"I suppose a try wouldnt hurt." Luin replies accepting gladly the generous offer. Even if it didnt work, it couldnt hurt to try either. "About the help from clerics, I dont know if I would have enough money to pay them either way."

"Well, there is the statue of the creature during the process of my change. I sometimes feel linked to it. Like, once in a while, I can sleep and have dreams of where it is. That is all I can think about when it comes to my current state." add Luin thinking about the details of his situation.

JNAProductions
2019-07-03, 09:13 AM
Jorbis tugs rather strongly at his goatee, gazing into a goblet of wine briefly. He looks up, and says: "No real aerial defense, and from the scouts report not very many humanoids. The southern towers are effectively platforms with low walls for partial cover. The northern two portions are proper buildings ringed with arrow slits, but wouldn't have any real defense against those flying up high enough. Scouting from above should be effective. If you were battering down both gates and portcullis, murder holes would be a real worry from a determined defender. With them apparently burnt to a cinder, it is roughly a 15 foot wide path you could cross quickly. But for the cautious the postern may be best. If you are interested it may be best to leave early tomorrow morning. Even if you left soon it could be pushing dark by the time you arrive. The kind of scouting you are discussing wants solid daylight."

"If you are, we could go to the Master's hall and get a standard adventuring contract this afternoon. Nothing fancy, just clearing the property of undesirables for payment."

If they aren't humanoids, what are they in there? Lassy asks.

Covenant12
2019-07-04, 06:53 PM
"I suppose a try wouldnt hurt." Luin replies accepting gladly the generous offer. Even if it didnt work, it couldnt hurt to try either. "About the help from clerics, I dont know if I would have enough money to pay them either way."

"Well, there is the statue of the creature during the process of my change. I sometimes feel linked to it. Like, once in a while, I can sleep and have dreams of where it is. That is all I can think about when it comes to my current state." add Luin thinking about the details of his situation.Conjurer Sepret: (Draconic)"Very well, can't hurt to try."Dispel Magic, +2 bonus since he stated it. He seems to be targeting you, but no saving throw is spell resistance check is triggered. (Draconic)"Ah well, good to know at any rate. I'd expect your best bet is to find this statue. I suspect it, unlike you, would register as fully magical. And far more likely subject to break enchantment. It can be very helpful long term to have friendly to have at least one temple happy with you, if not outright loyal to you. Clerics tend to be able to reverse a lot of horrible effects."

"Some of the loremasters are focused on divinations, as well as prophecy. The only spell I know that would directly solve it is discern location. I'm not certain if anyone in Sundabar can cast that. If not, someone in Silverymoon could. Getting them to do so may not be simple. Clerics have easier access to spells like that, but they come at great personal cost, and very possibly can simply fail."

"At any rate, I'd be happy to be informed as to your progress on this quest, it could be quite enlightening." (Common)"Rowan, once our guest leaves, please inform Loremaster Theogold that I'll need a lengthy meeting with him in the next tenday." (Draconic)"It was a pleasure meeting you, Luin Whitefur, but if there's nothing else I must return to my studies. Particularly if I hope to cast break enchantment in the next few months." Conjurer Sepret interlaces his fingers, and looks at you calmly.

Covenant12
2019-07-04, 07:10 PM
If they aren't humanoids, what are they in there? Lassy asks.Jorbis blinks a few times, and says: "My apologies, I'm afraid I misspoke. There certainly are humanoids, just not overly many. My scout also was certain they didn't have the bulk orcs tend to, more human or elven in size. His best view was from a distance through the main gates. He saw at least three moving, but could make out little detail. He tried looking in from a distant hill but the lack of detail made this unhelpful. Though he did see movement from there as well."

Ellenallen stands back from the others, her blue eyes darting from one speaker to the next. She also flicks her tail in annoyance; as fast as she's still growing, she doesn't like the idea of going into a cramped area, but on the other hoof...

"This job feels important. Any old orc or reaver could make use of an abandoned fort if someone doesn't clear it out and then we have another damn siege to coop us up."

From her vantage point above the others she looks over the map, brow furrowing. She's no tactician, but she tries to help. "Hey, your scouts seen anybody going in or out? They just stay there? And were they moving around at night any? If we attack at the right time we can get before they act.""No, for the several hours he observed none went in or out. He watched shortly after nightfall from a distance, no torches or fires were lit. I admit, what that isn't an orc and could more around freely in recent weeks is a concern. My bigger worry in monetary. The Shieldsar could quite effectively storm the fort. And this close to Sundabar, eventually will. Their fee for putting their soldiers at risk to do so would be severe. I've done well for myself the last few years, but if the Shieldsar take it I may have to forfeit the property. The mining and finished goods, particularly weapons, make this region fairly wealthy. Their demand for food is impressive, in Sundabar and the rest of the Silver Marches, and they pay well."

JNAProductions
2019-07-04, 07:12 PM
Fair enough-that's my bad, Lassy says. Undead, perhaps? They have no need for light, nor food or anything of the sort. And they can be slight of form.

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-05, 04:09 PM
Conjurer Sepret: (Draconic)"Very well, can't hurt to try."Dispel Magic, +2 bonus since he stated it. He seems to be targeting you, but no saving throw is spell resistance check is triggered. (Draconic)"Ah well, good to know at any rate. I'd expect your best bet is to find this statue. I suspect it, unlike you, would register as fully magical. And far more likely subject to break enchantment. It can be very helpful long term to have friendly to have at least one temple happy with you, if not outright loyal to you. Clerics tend to be able to reverse a lot of horrible effects."

"Some of the loremasters are focused on divinations, as well as prophecy. The only spell I know that would directly solve it is discern location. I'm not certain if anyone in Sundabar can cast that. If not, someone in Silverymoon could. Getting them to do so may not be simple. Clerics have easier access to spells like that, but they come at great personal cost, and very possibly can simply fail."

"At any rate, I'd be happy to be informed as to your progress on this quest, it could be quite enlightening." (Common)"Rowan, once our guest leaves, please inform Loremaster Theogold that I'll need a lengthy meeting with him in the next tenday." (Draconic)"It was a pleasure meeting you, Luin Whitefur, but if there's nothing else I must return to my studies. Particularly if I hope to cast break enchantment in the next few months." Conjurer Sepret interlaces his fingers, and looks at you calmly.

Luin thought about his situation. At the very least, it was right that he might need divine guidance to fulfill his quest. And while paying them for each spell sounded like a decent way to do it, maybe he could try offerring his capabilities to a church instead. Afterall, there were also things that only arcane casters could do themselves.

"Thank you very much for the assistance. I Will gladly keep you informed. Being in contact means that you can also inform me if you hear anything that could be of help. I hope you find success on your studies." He then goes to look for Loremaster Theogold to inform him s he was told.

Covenant12
2019-07-07, 12:26 PM
Fair enough-that's my bad, Lassy says. Undead, perhaps? They have no need for light, nor food or anything of the sort. And they can be slight of form.
"That is a reasonable possibility. Many undead look humanoid or even human fairly close, much less at a distance. If you want more detail I'm hopeful the scout would be in tomorrow morning. Please let me know either way."Jorbis returns to the bar, briefly raising his hand to get the attention of the innkeeper.

Covenant12
2019-07-10, 10:25 PM
Luin thought about his situation. At the very least, it was right that he might need divine guidance to fulfill his quest. And while paying them for each spell sounded like a decent way to do it, maybe he could try offerring his capabilities to a church instead. Afterall, there were also things that only arcane casters could do themselves.

"Thank you very much for the assistance. I Will gladly keep you informed. Being in contact means that you can also inform me if you hear anything that could be of help. I hope you find success on your studies." He then goes to look for Loremaster Theogold to inform him s he was told.The offices of the Loremasters is well known to anyone who's been in Sundabar a tenday, as all being off a respectable library in the Master's Hall. Which is conveniently hard to miss in the center of the city. A page in nondescript solid gray clothing ask you to wait briefly. When he return, he states simply: (Common)"Please follow me, Loremaster Theogold will see you now."

The Loremaster's library is roughly ten rows of shelves, five shelves per bookcase. Most books are sturdily bound in leather of similar size, more practical than exciting. There are rumors of additional, private libraries below these. The page takes you towards a wall, with five well made but unlabeled doors made of what looks to be Weirwood. He knocks briefly, then opens one of doors and says rather quietly: (Common):"Master Theogold?" He apparently sees a response of some kind as he slightly bows to you and leaves.

This office is only 10' by 20', but well thought out. There are two small tables on the near wall, and a large desk on the far, where a burly dwarf in dark blue robes sits. His hair and beard are a dark brown, with faint flecks of gray. The stated large desk is covered by a dozen books and at least three maps. The side walls are entirely filled with books, a quite motley assortment after the bland ones in the main library. He stands, points to a chair on the opposite side of the desk, and says (Common):"Please sit. I understand you have a message for me? As much as I appreciate the militia, I don't expect to have time for much else for nearly a tenday. The siege is lifted, but these will be "interesting times" for awhile longer."

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-11, 11:02 PM
Luin looks amazed at the amazing collection. He could only wonder about the contents of the books aligned just before his eyes. "I must first say that I am impressed by your huge collection. I dont think I have ever seen as many books in my entire time.". Luin had always enjoyed Reading, He could come back another time and ask for permission to check out the contents of those books. "Anyway, I was brought here to deliver a message to you, sir. Conjurer Sepret has asked for your presence."

Stevesciguy
2019-07-12, 06:43 PM
"That is a reasonable possibility. Many undead look humanoid or even human fairly close, much less at a distance. If you want more detail I'm hopeful the scout would be in tomorrow morning. Please let me know either way."Jorbis returns to the bar, briefly raising his hand to get the attention of the innkeeper.

"If they are undead, then this will be a rather simple job, notwithstanding the possibility of more intelligent undead."

JNAProductions
2019-07-12, 06:46 PM
"If they are undead, then this will be a rather simple job, notwithstanding the possibility of more intelligent undead."

How often do you see unintelligent undead appearing in masses without a more intelligent creator?

Come to think of it, Lassy asks, have their been any massacres at this castle?

Covenant12
2019-07-14, 01:39 PM
How often do you see unintelligent undead appearing in masses without a more intelligent creator?

Come to think of it, Lassy asks, have their been any massacres at this castle?Jorbis finishes chewing a large (for him, relative size and all that) bit of food, pondering. "Certainly no massacres or major battlefields. The fort is roughly 50 years old, it has varied between fully and lightly inhabited over that time. It may be best if I do see if I can make the scout available, I'll attempt have him here early tomorrow morning. I wouldn't want secondhand information to lead you astray."He then signals a waitress for more coffee.

Covenant12
2019-07-14, 01:54 PM
Luin looks amazed at the amazing collection. He could only wonder about the contents of the books aligned just before his eyes. "I must first say that I am impressed by your huge collection. I dont think I have ever seen as many books in my entire time.". Luin had always enjoyed Reading, He could come back another time and ask for permission to check out the contents of those books. "Anyway, I was brought here to deliver a message to you, sir. Conjurer Sepret has asked for your presence."Loremaster Theogold nods slowly, seeming distant for a brief moment. (Common)"Then I thank you. I will find some time to speak with him in the next few days. Conjurer Sepret was actually my apprentice a few decades ago. Very level-headed student, for a human. At any rate, when things settle down, you may wish to peruse the main library and its contents. With few exceptions, access to it is directly monitored, but not overly expensive. Notes and copying are more highly restricted, but are available."

He then stares at a map for several seconds, then looks back at you. (Common)"My apologies, once again too many things going on. Curious though, are you also a student of the Art? Sepret had a peculiarity of rarely associating with anyone who wasn't. Mild personality flaw really, but overall a solid student."

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-15, 07:00 PM
Loremaster Theogold nods slowly, seeming distant for a brief moment. (Common)"Then I thank you. I will find some time to speak with him in the next few days. Conjurer Sepret was actually my apprentice a few decades ago. Very level-headed student, for a human. At any rate, when things settle down, you may wish to peruse the main library and its contents. With few exceptions, access to it is directly monitored, but not overly expensive. Notes and copying are more highly restricted, but are available."

He then stares at a map for several seconds, then looks back at you. (Common)"My apologies, once again too many things going on. Curious though, are you also a student of the Art? Sepret had a peculiarity of rarely associating with anyone who wasn't. Mild personality flaw really, but overall a solid student."

"As a matter of fact, I am. I must say I appreciate the offer. I Will gladly take a look some other time. Its not always that I meet a fellow caster." Luin replies before the leaving the room. He didnt want to keep Master Theogold busy, especially with the designated calling from Conjurer Sepret. He could only hope that the next time, they met, it would be under a better set of circumstances than these ones.

Covenant12
2019-07-16, 09:25 PM
Early morning Uktar 27. The night is fairly quiet, enhanced by a solid 4 inches of snow. The morning is bright and nearly cloudless, Sundabar roads are well swept and nearly dry by 8AM. Shortly before this, Dorn sends runner to Eights and Aces requesting those sleeping there. To those at the Flying Monk, he addresses those up early enough.

"Good morning. Jorbis is fairly busy in his shop, but sent word his scout had returned. His name is Loros Blackrock, a rock gnome like Jorbis. If you were still interested in the job and had further questions, he is near a gathering of adventurers and mercenaries. Hard to miss, outside the main gates to the Master's Hall.
He should be there most of the morning. I expect he'll be easy to find. Gnomes aren't common in Sundabar, and his hair and skin color is similar to Jorbis. Speaking of adventurers and mercenaries, as whole they seem to be getting restless. So long cooped up in the siege, should be a lot going on today."

He is wiping and stacking serving trays as he speaks, while looking at you attentively.

samduke
2019-07-17, 08:06 AM
waking early Lei has breakfast then after getting the message about Jorbis grabs her things and sets out for the meeting place hoping that her friend hobbes will be not far behind

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-18, 09:57 AM
The next morning, Luin decides to take the words at heart and look for a new job to try using the magic from a church after. Afterall, he didnt have any traces to find the statue and standing around didnt seem like a choice either. He goes downstairs ad starts to have his own breakfast.

tonberryking
2019-07-21, 01:41 PM
Ellenallen nods.

"I'll go on ahead to talk to this scout and Jorbis himself. I wanna know more things and I think I may be able to get us a better deal..."

Having been gifted with speed, she eats a hasty breakfast and leaves for the Master's Hall in a clatter, at least assuring herself that at her size she won't be bothered by any crowd unless there are more centaurs than she's aware of in the area.

She eventually slows, figuring the others she's fought with will easily spot her, and tries asking around those gathered for any details the early-bird-heroes might have gleaned...

I also have specific questions to ask, and maybe bids for more pay from Jorbis, but I have better windows to ask/RP these tonight and tomorrow

Gather information check to see if all these other adventurers are her for the job Jorbis offered, and or if we've missed anything:

[roll0]

Covenant12
2019-07-21, 09:37 PM
A small courtyard slightly to the left of the main entrance to the Master's Hall looks to be your destination. The far end is a long table, with three shield dwarves spaced widely, each with a large ledger and various inkpots and papers. They are late middle age or older, wearing finely crafted leather armor. A human is standing in front of the center dwarf and has bags nearer to him on the table.

Perpendicular to this are four very long tables, sparsely inhabited by around 40 adventurers. More than having half are an expected mix of humans and dwarves, bur there are several wood elves, moon elves and half-elves. Some of the latter two are similar enough that it is hard to tell which is which. Only one small-sized humanoid is there, sitting with a moon elf and a human. He is a rock gnome of similar skin tone and hair color as Jorbis, but clean-shaven and fairly different facial features. All three look similarly equipped with mithril chain shirts and outdoor camouflage. The four Rashemi barbarians sit together, now wearing studded leather interwoven with white and grey furs. One humanoid has light blue skin and hair, likely an air genasi. He is with a group of humans who seem to know each other well.

The weather is cold but cloudless with little wind. The courtyard is impressively free of snow and fairly dry.

The gather information reveals no knowledge of Jorbis's job, unless you ask the rock gnome above directly. Most here are adventurers. Some seeking payment of bounties, more hoping for jobs from the Master's Hall or meeting with other adventurers to head out. Many have some ranger levels, otherwise they are a very mixed bunch. There are groups or orcs still around, but any large groups have been found and wiped out. Caravans are not expected to leave today except in large numbers, and those well guarded. You overhear that the joint temple of Torm and Tyr has some need of adventurers, but for whatever reason the adventurers discussing this weren't interested.

Your approach and appearance elicits several mild stares, more inquisitive than rude. Roughly a third of the 40ish here were in the militia, some of which you recognize. One wood elf in worn leather and skilled camouflage stares at you for some time, then shakes his head briefly and continues listening to a conversation.

JNAProductions
2019-07-23, 04:20 PM
Lassy eats quietly, a bit tired this morning.

DaOldeWolf
2019-07-24, 01:00 AM
Considering his situation, he decides to look for possibilities of orking with clerics of Mystra. He begins looking for them. Even if there werent as influential for the región, he knew about their presence here.He only hoped that they wouldnt look at his situation as harshly as those from the prominent religions. "Lets focus" he tells himself.

tonberryking
2019-07-24, 09:52 PM
Ellenallen ignores the stares And gives the staring elf a rude hand gesture in a flash but is quick to hide it.

She gets this treatment all the time, and thinks it little odd, so the dark centaur just navigates herself through the crowds, with some difficulty but eventually looms over the rock gnome.
"I come on behalf of Jorbis; he said you scouted the ruins and I'd like some additional information..." she shifts her weight around on her hooves before gesturing (not so rudely.) "Shall we talk here, or go someplace? I've a number of things to ask about what we're dealing with, and don't mind paying for breakfast from a street vendor." Away from all these prying eyes and ears goes unsaid...

[roll0] Diplomacy check.

Also, to keep things going along if he agrees Ellenallen will ask him the following:

What he can tell her about the people in the fort
If he thinks they're undead
Were there any signs of the fort occupiers hunting in the nearby land or where would they get food and water from the surrounding area if they needed it.

More Q's may be forthcoming...

samduke
2019-07-25, 07:52 PM
lei after hanging about part of the morning. meetts up with the group the meeting hall as they go to meet Jorbis

Covenant12
2019-07-25, 10:31 PM
Ellenallen ignores the stares And gives the staring elf a rude hand gesture in a flash but is quick to hide it.

She gets this treatment all the time, and thinks it little odd, so the dark centaur just navigates herself through the crowds, with some difficulty but eventually looms over the rock gnome.
"I come on behalf of Jorbis; he said you scouted the ruins and I'd like some additional information..." she shifts her weight around on her hooves before gesturing (not so rudely.) "Shall we talk here, or go someplace? I've a number of things to ask about what we're dealing with, and don't mind paying for breakfast from a street vendor." Away from all these prying eyes and ears goes unsaid...

[roll0] Diplomacy check.

Also, to keep things going along if he agrees Ellenallen will ask him the following:

What he can tell her about the people in the fort
If he thinks they're undead
Were there any signs of the fort occupiers hunting in the nearby land or where would they get food and water from the surrounding area if they needed it.

More Q's may be forthcoming...

The wood elf looks puzzled. He briefly shakes his head, then returns to a conversation with the group he is in.

The rock gnome has a winning smile, and displays it. He seems youthful and vigorous, but even as dark as his skin is he looks weathered from the outdoors. "I've eaten enough for some time, but I could do for a walk. You may have to slow your pace a fair bit, however." He looks to his two companions and says simply "Agreed?"They both nod and he starts walking out towards the city proper.

"Jorbis said to expect a motley crew, I found success with that myself in my dungeon crawling days. But to your questions: I only saw two at the same time, but there could be a bit more. Humanoid in shape, lacking the bulk of orcs or stockiness of dwarves. Human, elven, or half-elven in general size and shape.
Undead....not my first guess, but not impossible. Certainly not skeletons or zombies. Once you've encountered them a couple times you notice a jerkiness that is apparent hundreds of yards away. Ghouls or Ghasts though, that could make sense. Most other undead aren't happy with sunlight, these two seemed fine with it. The fort is close to a river, I'm sure they have a good well. I didn't see overly many tracks, but I did see a path made by a sled or something similar. Perhaps something dragged. But otherwise few tracks, humanoid or otherwise. Either they haven't been there long, or they don't see interest in patrolling. Or both. Certainly no hunting. I tried to get a better look from a nearby hill, but could only see one of them. No detail, sadly."

"I'd be happy to lead you there, I need to head north before midday regardless. There is a road that leads right by it if you need more time, honestly hard to miss. Jorbis seems eager for these lands, I hope it works out for him."

tonberryking
2019-07-30, 09:25 PM
Ellenallen nods and prompts him to answer things as she tries to herd the gnome back towards the inn she was stay at with the others, where she'll relay the information he gave to her to them.

"Being honest here," she begins, "I think this smacks of undead somethings holed up in there. Don't matter if we go by day or night if true, so we should head out as soon as possible an start causing a ruckus for Jorbis."

She looks down at the gnome and says something quite shocking. "You need a ride?"

Covenant12
2019-08-01, 09:16 AM
Considering his situation, he decides to look for possibilities of orking with clerics of Mystra. He begins looking for them. Even if there werent as influential for the región, he knew about their presence here.He only hoped that they wouldnt look at his situation as harshly as those from the prominent religions. "Lets focus" he tells himself.Asking around, what you hear about clerics of Oghma sounds less promising. The consensus is they focus on knowledge more than magic itself, and for unusual magics, a decent wizard would be better suited. There is a fairly powerful sun elf named Aenan, who is both a cleric of Mystra and a wizard. He is both well known for being a successful adventurer and having a flair for the dramatic. He is never seen without quite impressively detailed and ornate armor or robes, as suitable. And at least a full dose of typical sun elf arrogance. Elves usually follow their own gods, but Aenan seems devoted to studying magic in all forms more than worship precisely.

He is with a patrol group of Shieldsar roughly 80 strong. If nothing of interest is found they should be back in two days. Other than Aenan, you'd effectively be asking wizards and/or loremasters in general.

Covenant12
2019-08-01, 09:30 AM
Ellenallen nods and prompts him to answer things as she tries to herd the gnome back towards the inn she was stay at with the others, where she'll relay the information he gave to her to them.

"Being honest here," she begins, "I think this smacks of undead somethings holed up in there. Don't matter if we go by day or night if true, so we should head out as soon as possible an start causing a ruckus for Jorbis."

She looks down at the gnome and says something quite shocking. "You need a ride?"

A raised eyebrow quickly becomes a wide grin.
(Common)"Why yes, I do believe I could use one. I'm not sure some of my wood elf friends would believe me, but a good story for long nights of drinking. Before I leave I really just need to visit Jorbis, as well as an adjoining adventuring shop. But you want to gather your friends first, I assume?"

Loros then nimbly climbs on Ellenallen's back, with a modified horse mounting motion. No stirrups I'm guessing? He does this with an impressive agility and speed for one his size.
(Common)"I'd occasionally wondered what it would be like to tall in a city, as much it would be a drawback scouting. Off to the inn?"
Loros stretches his shoulder back a fair bit, looking pleased.

DaOldeWolf
2019-08-03, 07:56 AM
Asking around, what you hear about clerics of Oghma sounds less promising. The consensus is they focus on knowledge more than magic itself, and for unusual magics, a decent wizard would be better suited. There is a fairly powerful sun elf named Aenan, who is both a cleric of Mystra and a wizard. He is both well known for being a successful adventurer and having a flair for the dramatic. He is never seen without quite impressively detailed and ornate armor or robes, as suitable. And at least a full dose of typical sun elf arrogance. Elves usually follow their own gods, but Aenan seems devoted to studying magic in all forms more than worship precisely.

He is with a patrol group of Shieldsar roughly 80 strong. If nothing of interest is found they should be back in two days. Other than Aenan, you'd effectively be asking wizards and/or loremasters in general.

Considering his situation and analyzing the possibilities, he decides that it would be a good choice to wait for the return of Aenan. Meanwhile, he decides to look for a job to do around the area. He starts asking the locals for any tasks that he could assist them with, obvioulsy for a payment. A good way to pass the time and maybe gain some more coin out of it.

Covenant12
2019-08-04, 10:05 PM
Loros and Ellenallen gather the bulk of the party and head to Jorbis's shop. Said shop is solidly medium-sized, with what looks to be a finely crafted weirwood door and a sign stating "Jorbis: Fine Woodworks". Inside Jorbis is speaking to another rock gnome, this one a fair bit older but very possibly related.

The shop contains 16 assorted display cases, ranging from 2'X2' to 5'X10'. Many more small display cases line the walls, with additional items simply hanging on them. Most items usable by humanoids (or near-humanoids) and primarily or entirely made of wood are represented. This includes weapons (bows, crossbows, staves, nunchaku and more), a wide variety of instruments, as well as many more common tools. Axes have a few representatives (tool and martial weapon), swords are not visible, for example. Many are clearly masterwork quality or better, it seems likely all are.

Jorbis breaks off his conversation and walks towards you, smiling and addressing you: (Common)"Welcome to my humble abode! I hope things went well with Loros, he has far better expertise than I in these matters. I took the liberty of preparing platinum of our agreed price. If you desire some of that in gold I have a fair bit, but not the full amount easily."

"I have a simple adventurer's contract I'd like signed. Both your agreeing to the task for the upfront fee, as well as my promise for the remainder for clearance of the property. Which is spelled out as just the fort."

Said contract is three fairly short paragraphs. It is fairly standard, your agreement to clear the fort and receive 2100 upfront. Said fee implies intent to clear it, failure to attempt means you are obligated to pay it back. There is a sentence about if two or more of you die you may abandon it and keep the upfront portions.
The second is requirements for the second portion. It spells out the two main buildings, three towers and any rooms contained therein.
The third is a common declaration by all parties that no intentional deception is made by either party. As well as a statement of informed consent.

The following assumes agreement to the job, which has seemed apparent so far. Any disagreement I will attempt to handle in back-dated roleplaying, so to speak.
Loros buys some alchemy flasks and sunrods. He enters a changing room in the adventurer's shop and comes out partially in a mixed snow and woodland camouflage pattern, as well as white leather boots. After which he seems to easily keep up with the party's minimum 30' move speed in the city and overland.

You arrive at the Swordsgate (northgate) at roughly 10:00 AM. It is fully open, a guard of 8 shield dwarves in splint mail with a clear leader in full plate. All wear heavy metal shields and dwarven waraxes. The leader addresses you: (Common):"Adventurers, neh? Glad to see them, especially in these times.
The gates will close at dusk, but come openly with torches or brighter, and you would be let in after a few questions. 'Come back in glory, or back on your shield'" He stands at attention and raps his axe against his shield. The other eight echo the action and sound in unison, clearly a trained act.

The main road north is surprisingly cleared, though only 10' wide is mostly clear or snow. The sky is nearly cloudless with little wind. The latter you are thankful for, as midday it hovers about freezing.

You cover something over 10 miles without incident. Shortly after that you see a female wood elf sitting relaxed on a large gray rock, 10 yards to the west (left) of the road. She looks to be in a chain shirt, impressively camouflaged in white and brown for the environment. You safely assume she sits on the rock for contrast intending to be seen. She has a composite long bow sitting next to her, and a longsword at her hip. She looks at you calmly, reaching for neither. At around 60 feet she addressses you as a group:

(Common)"Hail and well met, adventurers! I request your aid. I have tracked a leucrotta just over the river to the west. It has a small lair, but I don't expect it to remain long this close to the city. As reward, I could see at least two dead orcs with gear, in addition to the reward for the thing's death. I will add arrows to help, but will claim no share of either. Frankly, I'd pay more than that not to touch the vile creature."

tonberryking
2019-08-04, 10:49 PM
Ellenallen signs the contract with a huff.

The centaur doesn't seem quite certain of what to take or buy, leaving only with horse blankets and warm clothes intended for larger beings, muttering about the hassle it presents.

"Do you have any holy water, or should we see a priest?" she asks dryly.

Beyond settling her affairs, she's quick to leave and canters literal circles around the others as they travel, glad to be finally outside of the cramped and too tight city. So of course, she seems a bit surly at the appearance of the elf maiden and her proposal...

"What in hell's a leucrotta?" she asks, to any who'll answer her.

Paying 16gp for a cold weather outfit. Willing to also pay 25 gp for holy water in case this really is an undead issue

Also, I forget if we have a bank, if Jorbis will hold her share, or if she'll need to leave it at the Inn, but Ellenallen isn't going to take her money with her.

Also... sense motive against this lady: [roll0] This smacks of a bandit trap.

Covenant12
2019-08-05, 10:42 AM
"Do you have any holy water, or should we see a priest?" she asks dryly.

(Common):"The shop next to mine keeps a small stock of holy water, I don't have a use for it. To my knowledge all holy water is created by clerics, both temples generally have very large amounts."

Beyond settling her affairs, she's quick to leave and canters literal circles around the others as they travel, glad to be finally outside of the cramped and too tight city. So of course, she seems a bit surly at the appearance of the elf maiden and her proposal...
"What in hell's a leucrotta?" she asks, to any who'll answer her.

Paying 16gp for a cold weather outfit. Willing to also pay 25 gp for holy water in case this really is an undead issue

Also, I forget if we have a bank, if Jorbis will hold her share, or if she'll need to leave it at the Inn, but Ellenallen isn't going to take her money with her.

Also... sense motive against this lady: [roll0] This smacks of a bandit trap.
There is a Bank of Sundabar. Run by dwarves, it has extensive magical protections. Most successful merchants in the city use it to some extent. Adventurers tend to keep their wealth handy, but some use the bank as well. Jorbis will keep your share until payment in full if requested, but that is an ususual arrangement.

A Know(nature) or Know(local) check of DC 10 reveals basic knowledge about leucrotta. All of which confirms the greater detail below. Even those who fail the check have occasionally heard it used as a curse word.

Sense motive reveals nothing worrisome. Details of her appearance seem normal for a wood elf, and those unfriendly to humans/dwarves likely wouldn't be anywhere near the city.(Common):"A recurring menace to these lands, thought extinct until a few years ago. An odd hybrid creature mixing hyena, stag, badger, with a lion's tail. Which sounds like an interesting animal but they are anything but. They detect as moderately evil to such spells, and are atrocious in appearance, smell, and behavior. A leucrotta kills for food, for sport, and because it likes to cause harm, including torture. When they were more numerous, a bit more than 50 years ago a meeting of the archdruids was unanimous: leucrotta deserve a quick death. They are blight, not natural creatures. No carrion eater or insect will touch a creature killed by leucrotta, much less the vile things themselves. The have glowing red eyes, and ooze an awful musk all over their bodies. They are quite durable, but I don't see it being a real threat to you if you are all alert.

(Gnomish):"Do you follow the Forest Queen?"
Loros nods. "I do. Godspeed on your journeys."
"And yours, friend of the forest."Loros nods during the exchange, looking pleased.

"Pardon the digression there. The thing's lair is roughly 2 miles to the east. Again, I'd appreciate the help, as would the Silver Marches. I know Silverymoon still maintains a bounty for leucrotta ears, I suspect Sundabar does."

Note: I changed the wood elf's color. Though a very different number it was too close to Loros's.

Covenant12
2019-08-11, 10:31 AM
Loros: (Common)"Much as I'd like to participate, I have to be a ways north before dark. You should be able to make out the fort from here, just to the west of the road. A bit under three miles to our north. But a ranger of Mielikki should guide you true. A bit far from the High Forest, though."

Wood Elf: (Common)"Yes, and traveling much of late. My pardon, my name is Fiellel Bonearrow, or that's as close as I can say in common. I've been assigned close to an errand-girl really, running messages between the cities of the Silver Marches and the High Forest. Wood elves try to encourage our young to travel a fair bit, otherwise we tend to stick to our own for the most part. Both trolls and orcs have been more active of late. Orc hordes are well known, but smaller bands have been found where they shouldn't be. At any rate, I'd also like to be in Sundabar by dark, orcs are more active at night."

There is a trail heading east, but with the snow it is hard to see. Other than Fiellel's footprints heading west to where you met, there doesn't look to be much recent. You are approaching a fairly dense grove of trees, evergreen for the most part and roughly 500' wide from north to south. At around 300' you hear what sounds like a woman screaming in agony. You think you hear a garbled "no" on occasion but otherwise make out no real words. This is quite loud and looks to be coming from directly in front.

Fiellel: (Common)"Though those screams could be real, this is more likely a trap. Leucrotta are energetic and skilled torturers, but they are better sound mimics. The actual screams could have been weeks ago. Stay alert and have weapons ready."

You approach slower now, screams getting gradually louder but no less intense.
The next post will be rolls for perception/stealth. I'm still learning better ways to do this but I will likely need more posts since I can't edit once made.

Covenant12
2019-08-11, 10:37 AM
Encounter checks:
Luin Whitefur: [roll0]
Hobbes: [roll1]
Zarakiel: [roll2]
Lassy: [roll3]
Ellenallen: [roll4]

Stealth: [roll5]

Covenant12
2019-08-11, 11:22 AM
Fiellel attempts perception check as well[roll0]

Covenant12
2019-08-11, 11:43 AM
Roughly 20' from the treeline, you hear a sudden shriek, still sounding like the same woman (Common)"No, please No!" followed by a hoarse chuckle. A quadruped drops from a 15' high branch and charges you. It has the head of a large, but warped badger with glowing red eyes. It drools excessively as it charges. As it gets closer, you see it has an oily coating over it's entire body. Up closer it smells quite rancid. It emits a high-pitched whine as it attempts a bite attack.

Bite target is 1-Hobbes, 2-Zarakiel, 3-Ellenallen: [roll0] To-hit: [roll1] Damage: [roll2]

Initiative checks:
Luin Whitefur:[roll3]
Hobbes:[roll4]
Zarakiel:[roll5]
Lassy:[roll6]
Ellenallen:[roll7]
Fiellel:[roll8]

Leucrotta:[roll9]

tonberryking
2019-08-11, 09:34 PM
With a bellowing yell, Ellenallen rears up on her hind legs and lashes out at the thing that hit her. She doesn't have time to summon it with any level of finesse but instead just attempts to blast the thing point blank before attempting to get away from it, dark, stormy energies swirl around her hand like blackened clouds before arcing out in a wail of energy that lightens into a pale green arc.

Two hoof attacks, and then a PB EB with MB (mortal bane) thrown on top:

Hooves-[roll0] [roll1] Damage: [roll2] [roll3]

EB- [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Covenant12
2019-08-18, 12:50 PM
Hobbes yells, entering a rage while stepping 5' forward. He attacks the Leucrotta with Earthbreaker and bite.
Earthbreaker: [roll0] to hit, damage: [roll1]
Bite: [roll2] to hit, damage: [roll3]

Rage is +2 hit/damage(all attacks), and +1d6 damage to Earthbreaker(but not bite).

Covenant12
2019-08-18, 12:54 PM
The Leucrotta takes a solid hit but remains focused on Ellenallen, snarling and drooling.
Bite: [roll0] to hit, damage: [roll1]

Covenant12
2019-08-18, 12:58 PM
Fiellel grimaces at the leucrotta's appearance. She moves 25' to her right and fires an arrow.
Composite Longbow, [roll0] to hit, damage: [roll1]

Stevesciguy
2019-09-03, 10:25 AM
With a mighty flap of his wings, Zarakiel takes into the air, then charges straight towards the creature at full speed. As he gets close, he brings his mace towards the creature in a swift uppercut.

Full-Round Action: Charge the monster

Attack is made with a full power attack. Furious Focus means that I don't take the penalty on my first attack this round.

Attack Roll: [roll0](gets +2 from charging, already added)

Damage Roll: [roll1]

-2 to AC this round

Covenant12
2019-09-03, 05:23 PM
The mace solidly hits the beast's torso with a loud crack, and the Leucrotta collapses to the ground. A moderate amount of blood has come out, even from bludgeoning damage. It does not appear to be breathing.

Fiellel still looks alarmed and angry. She moves adjacent to the Leucrotta, and fires two arrows into the thing's chest. They sink deep but it does not twitch. (Common)"Sorry, they can be crafty at times, and are deceptively smart. More, I really hate the things. Without hands or even paws, they rarely carry treasure. Aside from the value of their ears. But they do sometimes keep it in their lairs. If not I saw humanoid corpses near the lair, maybe 200 feet into the copse of trees. I'd like to examine the tracks nearby. It looked to be solitary, but I'd like to be sure. You can keep anything you find, I'd rather not touch anything it did."

The corpse gives off a very strong musk that is not at all pleasant, likely from the very oily fur. A small amount of recent snowfall only shows this beast's tracks heading into the trees.

Covenant12
2019-09-11, 05:57 PM
Fiellel slowly makes her way along the Leucrotta path into the grove. While somewhat dense, none of the trees are overly tall and are very evenly spaced. After 50' or so you have to assume they were planted. The Leucrotta's tracks are similar to oversized deer, and fairly easy to spot in fresh snow. 150' or so in, you spot two dead orcs outsides what looks like a small burrow.

Careful examination of the lair finds that the burrow contains what you suspect is a goblin, dead for two days or more. Only suspect as it is missing a head or arms. The stench from the Leucrotta is overpowering, thankfully the burrow is small with a wide opening. There are some bone fragments scattered in the burrow, but not many or large ones. The corpse is wearing small-sized studded leather armor, with a fair amount of mud and blood on it but in good shape. Also on the corpse are 5 days hard rations, 2 waterskins, 20 crossbow bolts (small light crossbow), and 2 daggers at the waist. A coin pouch contains 40 gp and 100 gp in small gems. A nearby amulet is solid black with a purple border. Also nest to the goblin is a well-worn wand and a scroll case, sealed.

The orcs are wearing a breastplate and hide armor, respectively. The breastplate has specs of rust but looks sturdy, the hide armor is rotted in places and has several holes. By comparison, the two great-axes near the bodies are in fantastic shape, though with some blood and dirt on them. The handles have detailed and well made leather for grip, and the blades look quite sharp. Both masterwork, at a guess. They have 50 gp between the two of them, and each carries 2 days hard rations, 1 waterskin, and a dagger. A small-sized light crossbow is several feet from the orc corpses. The one wearing a breastplate looks like he had his throat torn out, the one in hide armor dozens of small cuts. The one in the breastplate has a stone necklace with a crudely shaped eye in the center, the one in hide the same black/purple disc as by the goblin. You think the black/purple discs may be silver but its hard to be sure. The orcs look roughly a day dead.

Fiellel circles the clearing twice, then addresses you: (Common):"As I suspected, the Leucrotta looks to be alone. They do often travel in pairs or small groups but never separate for long. When you are done, I'll walk with you to the fort but there I must leave you. I hope to be in Sundabar by nightfall, and I have much to report."

Covenant12
2019-09-22, 10:08 AM
Uktar (November) 27, afternoon.

The brief walk through the wooded section is eerily quiet, you don't see any tracks besides yours or the Leucrotta's. The sky remains mostly cloudless, what little wind there is makes it fairly chilly. The sun does melt some of the snow, but any in deep shadow can get quite deep.

At roughly 4:00 PM, you approach the fort along the main road, and see a motley crew of three individuals. (which could easily describe yourselves)

Largest in overall size is a giant owl. Somewhat hunched over while speaking on the ground, it has an assortment of white, brown, and dusty gray plumage. He wears studded leather barding and apparently has been watching you since before you saw him, even with his size.
Close behind is what looks to be a gray-skinned troll. He wears oddly designed leather armor, and carries no apparent weapons. But his claws look especially dangerous.
Last is more human-sized and shaped, but looks either a muscular air genasi or actual Djinni. He has long blue-white hair and beard, and looks finely dressed, both clothing and studded leather armor. He has the traditional scimitar at his hip and has some sort of longbow.

As you approach they seem to watch you calmly, until around 100' distance. At this point, Fiellel calls out: (Common):"Hail, Orthon!!" and then continues in Sylvan."Greetings, and well wishes to you and the Forest Queen. You are far outside the forests I'd expected to see you next, but I suppose I could say the same for myself?"She then address those closer to her. (Common):"My apologies, that was rude of me. I speak Sylvan far more than common lately, at least near my home. The giant owl's name is Orthon, and I'd trust his acquaintances better than most random travelers. I've never had an interest in outright adventuring, but I've known several well. Three is not a great number for that. Safety in numbers, and some monsters can incapacitate instantly. A few more and hopefully you'd recover in that case. Sundabar has surprising wealth, hopefully you can all profit from this? I can stay a few minutes, but I will have to push to reach Sundabar before dark.

Xenopax
2019-09-22, 10:43 AM
Tark took a deep breath of the air around him. It sounded somewhat like an angry huff of breath but it was really just him memorizing the scent of everyone here. From the feathery scent of the Giant Owl, to the Flowery scent of the Faeries. He gave off a slight growl that was his way of saying hello, and strode forward. He walked different than most trolls. They usually hunched over and looked somewhat shifty, losing a few feet off their height from posture. Tark didn't do any of that. Well atleast not much. He was still a troll after all and old habits died hard. So his top was a tiny bit hunched over, something they could see him try to correct but just kept shifting back into the set posture. It had the effecct of making him waver from 13 and a half feet to 14 over and over again.

He extended one hand to shake with whoever would take it. Getting to know each other was important! His claws were set in a way so that if a little un tried to shake his hand, he wouldn't have touched em with the claws. That'd have been bad blood to injure someone already after not even an hour of meeting them! "Iz Tark. Just Tark. Troll," He said in broken common. The fact that he was a troll should be obvious but that didn't stop him from saying it. After all someone might be blind and they had to think of everyone. His eyes were covered by the mask but he was scanning everyone here, seeing how much of a threat each posed. He wasn't meaning anything bad by it, but being careful was good and knowing what you're dealing with was even better. He was still a predator after all.

Anachronity
2019-09-22, 07:06 PM
Orthon offers a brief bow, spreading a wing out in front of himself.

Greetings to you, Fiellel.(Common) "And greetings to your company as well." He offers, his large eyes seeming to settle in particular on the unearthly Zarakiel. He was not familiar with such beings in an academic sense. But the Order was quite fond of portraying the likenesses of angels and benevolent gods, and so the sight of the archon brought back memories.

The large owl, though relatively kempt, still shows signs of a life lived in the wilds rather than a city's confines. He remains quiet yet tense while the menacing Tark makes his own introduction, ready to interject or intervene if the troll's heritage led to misgivings.

Covenant12
2019-09-23, 07:36 PM
Fiellel looks concerned for a time, then approaches and shakes the (rather comically larger) hand.
(Common):"Greetings, Tark. I've heard of few trolls outside the Evermoors, although I know of at least one troll adventurer. Or perhaps mercenary-for-hire is more accurate, but he's been loyal to those who pay him for several yours. He tends to heavy armor, though. I can attempt to give word to Sundabar that a troll is about who isn't hostile, but at best it will take time for that word to spread fully. I hope you have some tolerance for hostile statements and attitudes."

(Common):"That said I wish you the best, and may our Lady of the Forest guide your travels."

She faces the three of you behind her, and addresses you:

(Common):"I can relay a message if you like, as thanks for ridding the area of that menace. Or was there something you wanted the authorities in Sundabar to know?"

Stevesciguy
2019-09-23, 09:27 PM
Zarakiel eyes Tark warily for a moment, before also shaking his hand.

(Tongues)"Well met, friends. I am Zarakiel. Have you come to assist in the investigation of the fort?"

He turns to Fiellel:
"I can't think of anything, myself. Thank you for your guidance."

DaOldeWolf
2019-09-23, 10:34 PM
Luin isnt sure how to introduce himself. Being the tiniest there meant he was the easiest to miss. He stayed just besides Mark waiting for a proper time to join in the conversation. (Common)"Its a pleasure meeting you all! My name is Luin Whitefur. I came here to give my assistance of this endeavor." He speaks with a bit of a loud tone, hoping he could get some attention his way.

Covenant12
2019-09-24, 08:44 PM
Zarakiel eyes Tark warily for a moment, before also shaking his hand.

(Tongues)"Well met, friends. I am Zarakiel. Have you come to assist in the investigation of the fort?"

He turns to Fiellel:
"I can't think of anything, myself. Thank you for your guidance."Fiellel: (Common):"Again, thank you very much for the assistance. I hope to see you again."

She makes a slight bow towards Orthon, then heads south at easily double-pace, moving nimbly. She looks sturdier than most elves but you aren't sure she can maintain that all the way to Sundabar.

You are roughly 300' from the fort, directly in front of the main gates. Both sets look fully destroyed, what little wood remains is burnt. The porticullis is not visible. Otherwise the fort appears intact. The walls are fully 25' high, considerably taller on the towers and great hall.
There is clearly a level path in front of you, but there's enough snow to not reveal much else. No obvious tracks since last night's snow are visible, at least very close to you.
The sharpest-eyed among you may see inside the keep, but not much but what should be the stables.

Wisps of clouds move quickly, otherwise clear weather with mild but chill wind.

Anachronity
2019-09-25, 12:31 PM
"Curiosity. At least, speaking for myself, I've been taken with a curiosity for this strange and aged abode."

Orthon turns his head towards Luin in the swift yet halting manner of an avian creature. Then nods in acknowledgement of the minuscule dragon, reticent to disregard another due to a difference in size.
"I would rather like to explore it," he continues, "and numbers make any such venture safer. I would do so alongside yourselves, if I may."

Auranghzeb
2019-09-25, 02:30 PM
Gudu greeted the strangers with an elaborated bow.
"May the peace of the ancients be with you" my name is Gudu. I am a celebrated author on my way to Silverymoon, where I shall meet my editor. And on my way there I met these two fine adventurers and we heard about this location. I am an accomplished scout."
He said eloquently and confident to the point of arrogance.

Then he took the bow and checked the line.

Xenopax
2019-09-25, 11:26 PM
Tark paid little head to their conversation, sniffing the air. He pointed one long finger at the fort and the stables. "Dead. Smell like not human. Horse remnant too. Much of it. Some Dead be old," He said slowly, taking deep breaths of the air with each word to make sure he was sure about what the scents were and he wasn't messing up

DaOldeWolf
2019-09-26, 09:33 PM
"Should we send somebody to scout the area?" Luin makes the suggestion. He could even offer himself for the task if no one was up to the task even if it wasnt exactly an specialty of his. He could even send his familiar for the job though it all depended on the circumstances for everything to go smoothly.

Xenopax
2019-09-26, 11:53 PM
"Iz good at...break scouting? Dey no see mah little'uns coming. Cause dey be looking at da big'un. Me," He was trying to say that he could scout but would probably provide a distraction instead. So a bad scout. He scratched his back and went on three limbs for a second to grab a wandering lizard and push it into his mouth, squishing and devouring the poor thing. He needed constant food after all.

Anachronity
2019-09-27, 09:01 AM
"I will. I will, keep my distance. But I should still be able to discern much."

The great owl steps away as he speaks to spare the others the gust of his wings, particularly the tiny dragon. He then takes flight, slowly circling about the fortress twice. The first round he keeps a great distance, not much closer than the rest of the group, merely trying to identify any obvious living creatures or potential aerial defenses. Barring any such discovery the second circling is closer, perhaps about 60' from the castle's perimeter as he peers within its walls for signs of inhabitants or dangers.

Covenant12
2019-09-28, 09:12 AM
https://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/VlatosWoW/Ground%20Floor.gifJorbis's Map (https://s1220.photobucket.com/user/VlatosWoW/media/Ground%20Floor.gif.html)

There isn't a lot immediately outside the fort. You see a path leading roughly north 50' outside the main gate, but not clearly this high up and there is fresh snow covering it. You don't where it leads to anything very close.

The top of the two buildings, gatehouse, stables, postern, smithy, and towers are fairly flat, and not much visible. Partially covered with snow but you don't think deep. The three southern towers have narrow stairs leading down into them.
The two buildings look to have 3 floors. The northwestern one has arrow slits on all three floors, the great hall only the third. There is a 5' wide walkway on the third floor between the buildings, that looks to allow entrance to either.
The smithy has no northwestern wall (and likely never did), and is basically two walls, a roof, and an anvil. Both sets of doors to the stables are open but intact, though you can't see much high above, even at an angle.
You don't see visible blockage over the postern, at least nothing bulky. The door entrance to the great hall areas is open, and likely broken to some extent.

There is a humanoid corpse just outside the Great hall doors, half covered by snow. It doesn't look to be wearing armor and has taken a lot of damage, even more than necessary to kill it. Medium size, not much else clear at height.

The door to the northwestern building is closed, and guarded.
At a distance they look to be dwarves in splint mail. Wearing helms, wielding battle axe and shield. They do not seem to shift in any way while you observe them, even movements of shield or axe.
Knowledge Nature check: 15+7=22. You really don't think they could be alive, at least nothing resembling natural world life. Otherwise the armor covers them fully, hard to be sure.

Auranghzeb
2019-09-28, 12:19 PM
Gudu, tries to recall any information from the fort. He approaches the building from above but does not interfere with the eagle's scouting.

Covenant12
2019-09-28, 01:13 PM
Gudu, tries to recall any information from the fort. He approaches the building from above but does not interfere with the eagle's scouting.Not an overly impressive history. Some small battles with evil humanoids or wandering monsters, nothing written about in detail.

It has been worked under several extended families and a few merchant companies, likely all shield dwarves. While profitable, it is difficult to keep safe, or rebuild when abandoned when hordes or massive forces approach. It has been repeatedly abandoned for a few years at a time due to these costs.
Sundabar Vale is one of two major crop/breadbaskets for the entire Silver Marches. Near rivers, the land is incredibly fertile. Sundabar and other cities are wealthy from mining and a few other activities, and have a huge appetite for fresh food.

You could look in detail at something specific, probably with a perception check. But Orthon's scouting seems accurate.

The knowledge checks required with your modifiers would be absurdly hard to fail, so you are quite confident the two guards are dwarven zombies or dwarven skeletons. The lack of movement implies mindless creatures under orders, and humanoid-shaped constructs who can wield weapons are exceedingly rare. Most other humanoid sized and shaped undead are not mindless, so would at least shift and look around once bored. You also agree with Orthon that they are certainly not alive.

Auranghzeb
2019-09-29, 10:12 AM
Gudu flies bthe ack to rest of the group.

The place seems abandoned, but there are some undead guardians at the door. Maybe the responsible of the corpses we see. Stern Dwarven guardians.

Anachronity
2019-09-30, 08:48 AM
Orthon is not far behind the djinn, landing a comfortable distance away so as not to disturb the others with wing-driven winds.

"It is so, truly unfortunate. A sign that more terrible things than pests dwell within. We should see them lain to rest."

DaOldeWolf
2019-09-30, 09:45 PM
"Well, it seems like a pretty easy battle. I believe it would be for the best to finish them in a fast way while creating the least amount of attention. We odnt want to attract any unnecessary atention." Luin suggests though he decides to ask about the enemies. "Can we overwhelm them by numbers?"

Auranghzeb
2019-10-02, 05:59 AM
Gudu:

I suggest a frontal attack, mindless undead do not react quickly to threats so we need to be swift.

He places one arrow into his bow and takes fly approaching the fort again. Getting into shooting range.

Anachronity
2019-10-02, 08:31 AM
Orthon nods assent and ascends into a slow circle about the fortress, ready to dive down at the undead creatures, but cautious not to draw too close until the others are ready. From the sound of it there was no telling at what exact distance the guardians could begin to react to them.

Covenant12
2019-10-02, 09:58 PM
The path to the fort is fairly uneventful. You note a snowed-over but clear path of what is likely some sort of sled around 50' east of the main gate, the path leading north. It likely went north at that point as well as into the fort, but the latter is harder to judge without a real survival check.

The two in splint mail have faintly glowing red eyes visible closer up. They look to watch Tark and Ellenallen as they approach. They look angry, but move close to not at all. You think you spot slight shifts of the axes, and inch, three at most.

There are many arrow slits, no light is visible from any. Your path to the splint mail pair shows more disturbed snow, increasing as you approach the great hall entrance. The corpse there looks to be a be an orc or perhaps larger half-orc, wearing no armor, little clothing, and has numerous bite and claw marks. No visible items of note, but he? is lying on his stomach.

As you cross the great hall entrance you see a dark corridor leading in. The doors are fully open and damaged but should be functional. From the map, the Great Hall has an arrow slit in to the apparently dark main room. Anyone in it looking could see you clearly in the sunlight but you could not see them. The stables doors are open but intact. You see stalls and hay, not much else in the dim light at a glance. The doors to the three towers are closed, as is the postern. The northwest (guarded) building has some sort of wooden beam blocking it, on this side. It doesn't match the rest of the fort.

The two in splint mail still do not move at around 60', when you give a signal to attack in unison. (meaning full surprise round) The two react sluggishly and awkwardly as this happens.

Initiative:

Tark [roll0]
Elllenallen [roll1]
Luin Whitefur [roll2]
Zarakiel [roll3]
Gudu Sileso [roll4]
Orthon [roll5]

Xenopax
2019-10-02, 10:31 PM
Tarks first reaction? Take a quick breath and hit himself into his favoured battle position, slacking his arms to the sides and getting his claws ready to...well claw the enemy! He gave a growl as he cracked his claws open. a troll version of cracking his knuckles. He would move up to them, waiting for them to get into range before attacking himself though. But as soon as they did? Attack!

Swift: Initiate pugilist Stance for +1d6 damage, fuse styles for Dragon Style
Move Action: Move 30 feet closer.
Standard action, delay until they're in range and attack with a Flurry Strike. Not sure if I can mix a bite attack with it though so if I can't, then void it.
[roll0]: Claw Attack(s)
[roll1]: Claw one
[roll2]: Claw two
[roll3]: Bite Attack
[roll4]: Bite Damage
[roll5]: Pugilist Strike damage in order

Anachronity
2019-10-03, 08:17 AM
Orthon dives upon the farther guard, claws outstretched!

fly down to attack the more distant guard, use Wolf Fang Strike to attack twice...
Attack 1: [roll0] for [roll1] damage
Attack 2: [roll2] for [roll3] damage
+1 to attack and damage on each of those if I had time to use Studied Target (a move action) beforehand (no reason not to IC, but I sorta forgot about it until now OOC)

Auranghzeb
2019-10-03, 06:15 PM
Gudu closes in within range of his bow and shoots at the undead on the left side of the door.

Shooting his longbow:
[roll0] damage [roll1] both the damage and the attack include the +2 from the knowledge devotion check

DaOldeWolf
2019-10-05, 06:38 PM
Luin thinks its better to use one his special magic tricks just for the situation and keep his spells for later while inside the fortress. He starts concentrating his magical energy and releases it against one of the undead.

Using a single point of my arcane reservoir to use the Sonic blast arcane exploit. Its a fort sav to take half damage.
Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

tonberryking
2019-10-08, 09:41 PM
Ellenallen has a lance. When she sees the others unload their ranged attacks, the centaur kicks off into a gallop and makes a straight line for the dwarf not being targeted by spells and arrows. She doesn't holler nor cry a battle roar, she stays silent until right before putting a final thrust of her lance into the charge, crying an inhuman sound and suddenly eldritch energy spirals around the lance shaft like a magical drill. She hopes it drills a hole through the living dead.

Sorry for my silence. I've had medical issues, medicine reactions and some craptacular days at work.

[roll0] Charge attack +2 to hit, -2 to AC until her next turn (AC is now 19)

[roll1] Quadruple this damage. Hideous Blow damage: [roll2]

Covenant12
2019-10-08, 10:13 PM
The closer zombie's torso is massively punctured, destroying it. A hateful gleam fades from it's redish eyes, but as it does a vile, tingling wave washes over Ellenallen and Orthon. The other zombie is revitalized by this, and is looking angry.

Negative energy damage, Ellenallen and Orthon. DC 15 Reflex save for half. The other zombie heals this much. (no save)

[roll0]

Xenopax
2019-10-08, 11:02 PM
Tark had messily punctured and destroyed the last zombie, ripping it to shreds and had continued savaging the body for a second after it died. He tore off it's head with a single bite before moving onto the next, Claws seeming to lengthen and gleam in the light, ready to kill the newest prey.
Manuever: Flick of the Wrist
Bronze Knuckle: Swift Action
[roll6]: Bronze Knuckle Damage in Order

Covenant12
2019-10-09, 08:04 PM
The second zombie's eyes fade as the claw does massive damage to the torso, hopefully not damaging the splint mail overmuch. Another wave of wrongness emanates from it, and the courtyard goes silent.

Negative energy damage to Tark, Orthon, Ellenallen: [roll0] DC: 15 Reflex save for half.

Though there is a lot to take in, you notice the door in front of you is intact, closed, and strangely barred from your side. This is clearly not part of the original construction. Also fairly shoddy work by contrast, an average strength human could likely force it open from the inside. The rest of the stonework of the fort is quite good, likely dwarven. The passage to Great Hall is in full darkness.

Xenopax
2019-10-09, 08:56 PM
Tark shudders as a wave of negative energy washes over him. Trolls are creatures who constantly grow and grow, so to feel his natural regeneration...the opposite of it...it felt wrong. So wrong. He disliked it immensely and gave a roar as he bit off the zombies head, consuming it as a way of ignoring the pain. Food always helped, even rotten zombies.

Either way he moved himself over to the door and put his shoulder against it, ready to slam through once the others gave the signal.

[roll0]: Reflex

Auranghzeb
2019-10-10, 04:27 AM
Gudu came down and examined the zombies.

Then he glanced along the courtyard. He didn't like the arrowslits, but if someone was going to use them to ambush them then they had lost their chance.

Tark, let me check if there are any traps before you put your frame through that door.

Burning one inspiration point to get a +3 on perception [roll0] and disable device [roll1]

Anachronity
2019-10-10, 08:26 AM
With the malign light desecrating these earthly vessels extinguished, Orthon takes a moment to shudder at the numb pain their destruction had inflicted.

He then sets to work mending any injuries with any tools provided, remarking as he does so: "Barred, from this side. But poorly. Perhaps to contain more of these. Mindless things, they might not know a blocked door from a wall."

Covenant12
2019-10-11, 04:29 PM
Rapidly approaching dusk, the hallway towards the Great Hall is very close to pure dark. Four humanoids, vaguely human but somewhat hunched over and wearing little but rags, move swiftly out into the courtyard. They all look disturbing and warped, with faintly glowing reddish eyes. Their claws look sharp, even from this distance.

One towards the back looks more dangerous, and addresses his fellows: (Common):"They are not from the Mistress, kill them all!" You hear a sharp hissing from 1-2 of the others, and they move at you as a group.

Initiative: Monsters: [roll0]
Party: [roll1]

Covenant12
2019-10-11, 04:56 PM
All four charge various party members, snarling with a good bit of spittle flying. As they close they look more disturbing, enlarged and filthy teeth that are quite sharp. Which they proceed to try and bite you with.

One attacks Gudu Sileso: Hits AC [roll0] for [roll1] damage. DC 12 Fort save vs. paralysis if hit.
One attacks Tark: Hits AC [roll2] for [roll3] damage. DC 12 Fort save vs. paralysis if hit. AC is flat-footed.
The third attack Ellenallen: Hits AC [roll4] for [roll5] damage. DC 12 Fort save vs. paralysis if hit.

The leader also attacks Ellenallen: Hit AC [roll6] for [roll7] damage. DC 15 Fort save vs. paralysis if hit.

Before that, Gudu Sileso and Ellenallen must make a DC 15 Fort save vs. sickened. As must any who close within 10' of leader.
Assuming flying at 20'.

Gudu Sileso: [roll8]
Ellenallen: [roll9]

Auranghzeb
2019-10-13, 09:36 AM
Gudu was taken by surprise by the violence of the attack. He dodged the creatures claws but he immediately felt his stomach revolt at the stench of the creature.

His memory traveled fast trying to recognize the monster.

Knowledge religion I guess[roll0](the -2 of sickened is already factored)

And then tried to fend the creature over with a mighty slam adding extra power to the hit with his inspiration.

Slam [roll1]+whatever the knowledge devotion gives and damage [roll2]+whatever the knowledge devotion gives. Using two inspiration points one on the attack and other in the damage, both rolls have the sickened -2 factored. Then tumbling away from them.

Anachronity
2019-10-14, 09:05 AM
Orthon lashes out at the nearest of the abhorrent beings

Move to the closest one
Fort vs. Stench?: [roll0] (not sure if the normal ghouls have stench or not.
and claw: [roll1] for [roll2] damage
crit?: [roll3] for [roll4] extra damage

Covenant12
2019-10-14, 04:17 PM
Ellenallen flinches at the foul bite:

Fort Save vs. paralysis: [roll0]
The ghoul charged before the ghast, so -2 from sickened is intentionally not included.

Covenant12
2019-10-14, 04:26 PM
The ghoul lets out a high-pitched shriek and collapses, emitting a vile force as he falls.
Negative Energy damage: [roll0] DC 15 Reflex save half.
Tark: [roll1]
Orthon: [roll2]
Ellenallen: [roll3]

DaOldeWolf
2019-10-15, 03:13 PM
Luin considers himself to be in a bad position. He decides to move away from the ghast considering the sort of dangerous creature it is. "Undead are such annoying creatures." Luin complains knowing that he doesnt have any spells or abilities that could ease teh situation. At the very least, he could try again to attack with his long range move.

Luin is moving 20 feet down on the map. Then he use his Sonic blast using my second arcane reservoir point. Two left.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Stevesciguy
2019-10-15, 06:47 PM
Zarakiel looks down at the ghast, his normally stoic face now contorted with disgust.

"(Tongues)With Pelor's light, you shall be dealt with swiftly."

With those words, he dives directly towards the ghast, heavy mace glowing with holy power.

Fort Save: [roll0]

Power Attacking for full and charging. Furious Focus means I do not take a penalty on my first attack.

Attack Roll: [roll1]

Using Divine Might to add my Charisma to my damage roll this round. That consumes 1 use of lay on hands.

Damage Roll: [roll2]

Xenopax
2019-10-15, 07:48 PM
Tark would effortlessly dodge the blow from the ghast, hitting back with one of his own! Well more than one. Teeth and claws, all the way.
Swift action: Pugulist Stance + Dragon Style
Standard: Flurry Strike

Covenant12
2019-10-15, 08:31 PM
The Ghast, after spinning around repeatedly trying to face all three attacks, is brutally mauled and collapses with a groan.
The remaining Ghouls look mildly confused, but still hateful towards you in the extreme.
The second Ghoul then goes down to Tark's hits, with a muffled shriek and a burst of vile energy.
Negative energy, DC 15 Reflex save for half. Damage: [roll0]
Zarakiel made the save vs. stench, Tark's will be here and not included in Reflex save.

Stench, Fort 15 DC for Tark: [roll1]

Tark: [roll3]Possible -2 for sickened, and maybe +1 for arcane defense?
Ellenallen: [roll4]

And yes, the Ghast did not give off a negative energy burst.

Covenant12
2019-10-15, 08:41 PM
Ellenallen's only possible action is Eldritch Blast at the final Ghoul. So now that the absurdity of attacks of opportunity on a paralyzed caster lowering her defenses is no longer there....
Eldritch Blast: To Hit [roll0]. Damage: [roll1]

Covenant12
2019-10-15, 08:46 PM
The remaining Ghoul seems now not just angry and vile, but outright deranged in features. He snarls and attacks Tark.
Bite: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Claw: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Claw: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

Save vs. Paralysis DC 12 Fort, per successful hit.

Covenant12
2019-10-16, 09:03 PM
The stench from the Ghast is still present, but no longer overpowering. Not that the other undead corpses smell overly good. The zombies were clearly dwarven, likely shield dwarves. They only have splint mail and a battle axe (each), and finely made but old clothing.
The ghouls have nothing but rags and worn-out boots, one of three actually barefoot. The ghast has better clothing and comparatively decent shoes. He also has a purse that contains gems and 5 gold. 3 Blue quartz, 5 large Onyx, and 1 well-cut piece of jade. The purse also contains a wand.
The wand is the only thing that detects magic on the corpses, or in the immediate vicinity. The corpse is clearly orcish, maybe two days dead. He has been excessively bitten, likely by the ghouls. But not overly much of the corpse has actually been eaten, odd considering 4 of them around. He has nothing but rough-cut clothing, now torn and bloody.

The barred door now sounds like it has a repetitive, almost rhythmic dull *thump* sound coming from behind it. Not the door itself, but further back. The bar could fairly easily be lifted, and then the door opened out.

It is now fully dusk. Low-light vision will work for a short while, then struggle with moon-light. There are arrow slits in the two buildings but not the towers, no light comes from them.

You can't see much into the stables without entering them, but you notice the south-western tower has a disturbing amount of webbing around it. Nothing visible of interest near the Great hall building, other than the orc corpse.

Say 7 charges of CLW wands to heal to full, if you skimp on Tark. Paralysis lasts 5 rounds max, sickened several minutes according to Gudu Sileso. Up to you if you want to wait on the latter.

You can simply count the gems as 380 GP total if you want to sell them, plus 5 actual gold.

tonberryking
2019-10-17, 04:03 PM
Stumbling forward once the paralysis wears off, Ellenallen snorts and stamps a bit, but calms down. Damned if the undead aren't full of nasty surprises. In fact, to keep any more nasty surprises from occuring, the centaur aims a few eldritch blasts callously at the head of the orcish corpse until there's nothing left of the head, or at least until she's satisfied leaving whatever stump is left when her ire abates.

"Just in case that was going to get back up. Are we alright though? I don't know if these carrion can convert living people or not..." she growls, seeming rather antsy about the prospect of dying to this first assault.

Before approaching the thumping door, I wanna cast detect magic at the stables and case the general area before venturing inward. Assuming she can even fit in the door:

Search: [roll0]

Covenant12
2019-10-17, 04:38 PM
The only magic you detect is from the wand, and items yourselves are carrying. With darkvision you see the ground-level interior of the stables. The upper level has two ladders leading up, typically storing hay. The ground level is mostly individual stalls. Fairly clean, with a couple mounds of horse droppings at least two weeks old.
Against the far wall (from center-north doors) there is a pile of what looks like broken and discarded tools. Nothing in the pile detects magic.

The stables were designed for horses, the main doorway is over 10' wide, the east one a bit over 5'.
Gudu Sileso's Know(religion) would reveal Ghoul's bite can carry disease that can turn you into a ghoul, but that would take over a week. And it would be obvious if you had the disease.

Auranghzeb
2019-10-18, 07:40 AM
As the dusk gives way to darkness Gudu finds extremely ironic that the Troll is the one who may need a torch.

He approaches the door where the thudding sound is coming from, but with care and searching for traps.

Covenant12
2019-10-18, 06:33 PM
As it nears dark, the wind picks up a bit, with the occasional serious gust. Still cloudless, approaching a full moon means visibility is reasonable outside. Other than the thump sounds, it is very quiet. Said sounds persist, not varying in volume or frequency, once every few seconds.

You do not find any traps, the bar doesn't look overly heavy. This door, as with the other external doors in the fort, open inward. There is a small handle on the right side, presumably to pull it shut. The door fits well, no spacing on the top or sides to the hallway beyond. There is a tiny gap on the bottom, you aren't sure if you could see into it from ground level.

Otherwise not a lot of note, the well looks clean and functional, as does the anvil at the smithy. The webbing near the door to the southwest tower is fair frankly worrisome. The patches are avoidable but looks sturdy. All the tower doors look firmly shut. And have similar handles to the northwest building.

All buildings, except perhaps the great hall could be entered from the air, and have stairways leading down. The two northern buildings have a high 5' walkway between them. It isn't clear if the great hall building could be entered there without close inspection.

Stevesciguy
2019-10-21, 06:29 PM
"I suppose we may as well deal with whatever is causing this thumping, enemy or otherwise. Tark, if you could be nearby while I lift the bar, it'd be much appreciated."

Zarakiel walks to the door, then seems to just stare intently at it.

I'd like to detect evil in the direction of the door, please

Covenant12
2019-10-21, 07:23 PM
Though outright evil is not detected, you feel a sense of foreboding while standing near the door.

Removing the bar is uneventful, it weight 10 pounds or slightly less. The door opens inward to the right, showing an empty hall behind. It is roughly 8' wide and almost 10' from floor to ceiling. Directly to your left, a very small room with stairwell leading up goes out of sight around the corner. The room looks quite barren.

The hallway is in darkness, and terminates at a solid door facing you, and another to the right. The hallway continues to the left out of sight. Both doors are closed. The thumping sound is now louder, clearly coming from somewhere around the corner to the left. It continues the steady rhythm.

Once the door is opened, the area near the visible doors radiates notable evil. It doesn't appear to be from an item or creature, but the area itself.

Though there is traces of snow in the stairwell area, the hallway forward is very clear.

Stevesciguy
2019-10-21, 09:30 PM
"End of the corridor has been desecrated - appears to be attached to an altar to an evil deity, likely behind one of those two doors. We should be careful - undead within the desecration will be especially strong, and the presence of an altar implies that we're getting close to the necromancer. Or at least, that we're getting close to where they created their undead. Are we ready to move in?"

Xenopax
2019-10-22, 11:26 PM
"I smell da dead un's all 'round. Da bitey onez and da Stinky onez. Dere's old smell down by da end. Smellz wrong. Long Fangs? Tark commented as he took the front, hoping his regeneration would cover the rest of their party from any major blows. if anyone else wants to take the front, just move infront of him, he won't stop you

tonberryking
2019-10-23, 10:54 PM
Ellenallen's ...unique physiology and body make up is at times a delicate balance born from haphazard black magic medicine, and while normally has a robust health, sometimes a softer shell is bared. She looks a little sickly after taking that bite and is all the more frustrated for it.

"There's a lot of magic here and whatever that thumping is... I don't even know! Maybe some damn ghoul is stuck on a door..." She tries to enter, very frustrated for the effort, and prepares her eldritch powers, forgoing the use of her lance in such tight quarters.

"I'll follow whoever's brave enough to investigate. I'll cut the culprit before it gets too close..."

DaOldeWolf
2019-10-23, 11:45 PM
"I can try to discern the magic. It might at least help us understand its nature better." Luin replies as he prepares to cast his spell. He was there to offer magical asssistance afterall, so he had to give his best.

Luin casts detect magic

Knowledge arcana check: [roll0]

Covenant12
2019-10-24, 04:28 PM
As it grows fully dark, the wind dies down dramatically. The stench of undead is both in front of and behind you. You quietly discuss what's ahead and options, otherwise you hear nothing.. Save for the persistent *thump* coming from the hallway, somewhere to the left of the visible doors.

DaOldeWolf
2019-10-24, 11:01 PM
Luin decides to share his findings with the others. "I detect some evocation magic on some sort of altar. It isnt to our benefit but it shouldnt cause of any harm either. Be careful with the hallway, I can detect some necromancy at work. This spell trap might turn someone into an undead. What should we do?" Luin finishes to let the other give their opinions about the situation.

Covenant12
2019-10-25, 03:49 PM
As you discuss options, something approaches in the darkness.

[Stealth roll: [roll0]

Perception:

Luin Whitefur: [roll1]
Ellenallen: [roll3]
Gudu Sileso: [roll4]
Tark: [roll5]
Orthon: [roll6]

I'll add initiative as this will basically be the surprise round:

Enemy: [roll7]

Party: [roll8]

Covenant12
2019-10-25, 03:52 PM
Outside the entrance, while you watch, you hear a deep and eerie *bark* comes from a distance behind you. From somewhere in the courtyard to the east. Your minds spin in panic, as you struggle to keep your composure.

DC 13 Will save vs. panicked. This is a fear effect, so Zarakiel is immune and grants a +4 morale bonus to all of you.

Ellenallen: [roll1]
Gudu Sileso: [roll2]
Tark: [roll3] Maybe +1 from arcane defense? I'll check if it matters.
Orthon: [roll4]

Auranghzeb
2019-10-26, 10:48 AM
Gudu feels a shiver down his spine. But he recovers from the initial scare.

What is that?

He prepares his bow, aiming it at the darkness from where the aura came, ready to shoot whatever comes from there.

Ready action to shoot using an inspiration point for the damage. [roll0] damage [roll1]

DaOldeWolf
2019-10-26, 06:52 PM
Luin ants to find out about the creature on the dark. "I´ll make you reveal yourself." Luin proclaims as he creates 4 sources of light and moves them into the darkness to try to reveal whatever was behind the last attack.

Using SLA of dancing lights.

Covenant12
2019-10-26, 09:28 PM
The dancing lights provide short range illumination, and are sent 100' east in the vicinity of the great hall entrance and the main gate. Outside 60' they show the surroundings much clearer than the prevailing moonlight, but reveal nothing you hadn't seen before.

The fresh snow from this morning, however, is a different story. You look at the revealed area as the dancing lights move.

DC 13 Spot/Perception check to notice a change in the snow. Survival will be used if that's better.
Orthon can roll on his turn if he isn't panicked during his action, currently he can't.

Zarakiel: [roll1]
Ellenallen: [roll2]
Gudu Sileso: [roll3]
Tark: [roll4]

Stevesciguy
2019-10-29, 12:33 PM
"Hmph. Invisibility shall not protect you, foul creatures. Pelor's light illuminates all."

With a flourish of his empty hand, Zarakiel's eyes begin to glow with a faint holy light.

Zarakiel casts See Invisibility

Covenant12
2019-10-29, 03:08 PM
A shadowy form comes into view, within the range of dancing lights. It seems to bend and shift as you watch it, and even now would be difficult to spot if you weren't looking right at it. You are quite certain it was not visible without see invisibility active.

It is vaguely human in bulk, but clearly a quadruped. Otherwise you can make out no clear details, even the head. You suspect it is corporeal, but viewing it seems similar to what you've heard about displacer beasts.

Xenopax
2019-10-29, 10:56 PM
Tark would take a double move action forward, slightly on his guard so the thing didn't attack him. he made a move thing with his hand, trying to tell the others to cover him if need be. Either way, he would intake the air trying to smell what was going on.

tonberryking
2019-10-30, 03:22 PM
Ellenallen wonders if they'll ever get out of this place, her frustration and growing sense of nausea and illness get her into an onery mood, too focused on hate to feel fear over the situation.

Stomping at the ground, she leaps forward, raising a hand and fires off an eldritch blast that screams over the air and plummets down at the beast. Evidently she put something special into the blast as it bubbles arcane energies that barely seem stable right before it hits...

Not gonna charge this one, but I'm getting JUST within range for an EB and taking a shot with Mortalbane added in for an extra 2d6. I believe that this leaves me with three shots of it.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Covenant12
2019-10-30, 08:56 PM
An angry growl comes from somewhat in front of Tark. A shimmering, shadowy blur moves rapidly west directly at him. The snow he sprays is more clearly visible than the creature himself, but either is enough for a rough position.

Ellenallen has Know(Planes) ranks, enough that I've decided she realized not to use Mortalbane (outsider). Should be still 4 uses on Eldritch Blast itself today.
So base 2d6 instead of 4d6, conveniently half of rolled damage is 6.

Both Ellenallen and Sudu Gileso would hit, but total concealment is 50% miss chance. 51 or higher on 1d100 is a success.

Ellenallen: [roll0]
Sudu Gileso: [roll1]

A crazed-sounding incoherent yell comes from the hallway behind the previously barred door. Though loud it sounds somewhat muffled, by door or otherwise.

Initiative: [roll2]

Covenant12
2019-10-30, 09:00 PM
The shadow creature charges in, trying to bite Tark's leg and pull him off-balance.

Hit, Damage: [roll0], [roll1]
Trip attempt if hits, no counter-trip: [roll2]

Stevesciguy
2019-10-31, 05:32 PM
"A mummy. How delightful. You two should assist with the strange shadow creature, I'll handle the mummy - I am very well equipped to handle such a creature. I can see the shadow creature from here, so I should be able to direct you to hit it if need be."
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
Ready action: attack the mummy if it appears. Zarakiel will wait until it comes outside, however. He isn't going to go into the hallway

Auranghzeb
2019-11-01, 06:48 AM
Gudu tried to recognize the displacer beast.

Knowledge arcana [roll0] this should giv gudu an extra 2 to attack and damage

Not a good situation, but the paladin was surely better suited to fight the mummy, and Tark could use some help with the displacer beast.

Gudu glided swiftly next to Tark, drawing his scimitar and slashing at the four legged creature.

Flyby attack drawing scimitar as part of the movement, bow is held with left hand. Using 1 inspiration point to attack + whatever i get from knowledge devotion [roll1] damage [roll2] +2 from knowledge devotion. miss chance [roll3]

Covenant12
2019-11-01, 09:23 AM
Gudu's blade cuts deep, the beast lets out a short whine and seems to shift away from him. The patch of snow now has a fair bit of blood on it.

Outsider, but still +2 bonus as you guessed. 10 damage I believe.

It is a Shadow Mastiff, you've experienced most of its abilities. Actual bright daylight, the Daylight spell or better prevents his shadow blend ability. Darkvision, torches, dancing lights, and continual flame don't help at all.

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-01, 07:43 PM
Luin decides to assist against the displacer beast considering the circumstances. "Lets get rid of the creature first. I just hope I manage to him them." Luin declares as he prepares to cast a spell.

Casting magic missile to attack the displacer beast.
[roll0]

tonberryking
2019-11-01, 09:14 PM
While she knows the bite of an outsider probably wouldn't poison her the same way the ghouls are forcing her hand in the future to see a cleric, Ellenallen seems slightly reticent to get too close to anything on this trip anymore. To a point. She sprints up, outside of the mastiff's reach as her eldritch energy spirals over her hand and splits, forming a pole and a jagged sword like blade that she quickly grips in both hands before arcing a wicked cut down at the creature, trying to keep it out of biting range.

Eldritch glaive, time to test this sucker out:

[roll0]

[roll1]

Covenant12
2019-11-02, 07:42 AM
The creature shrieks and falls the ground. There are still stray wisps of shadow, but it is now fully visible.

From a distance, it looks like a very large black/grey dog. Closer inspection (Tark and Gudu Sileso) reveals it is considerable more disturbing. It is absurdly muscled, and it's face (particular jaw/mouth) looks angry and twisted. Possibly dangerous spikes are down the ridge of its back, and on its legs and tail.

It still bleeds rapidly, fitfully taking the occasional breath. Tark and Gudu Sileso are quite confident it isn't moving without quick aid.

Covenant12
2019-11-02, 08:02 AM
Before you have time to catch your breath, a new creature appears.

The mummy you heard earlier opens the far door directly in front of you, and shambles forward.

It's eyes gleam red and if anything, even more hate-filled than the undead previously. The sense of wrongness is palpable at a distance, and an unpleasant smell reaches you that smells of very old death.
Your hair stands up on the back of your neck, and you try to fight off an involuntary shiver.

It has stopped very near the Ghoul Glyph location. The mummy does not seem aware or interested in the trap, focused purely on Zarakiel and Luin Whitefur. You are confident it didn't go off.

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-05, 12:42 AM
Will Save DC 16: [roll0]

Edit: Welp, I cant take any actions. :smallyuk:

tonberryking
2019-11-05, 10:01 PM
Ellenallen fires a shot off at the mummy as soon as it appears, sculpting her glaive into a shrieking massive bolt of energy with a few deft motions of her hands. She follows this up by hefting up her lance, getting ready for a charge...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eldritch blast, and I'm gonna try to charge it next turn.

Stevesciguy
2019-11-08, 05:12 PM
Seeing that his companions had dealt with the odd invisible creature, Zarakiel turns to face the mummy, mace held at the ready.

"Do not be afraid, my friend, for Pelor's light is particularly suited to destroying undead."

And with that Zarakiel moves swiftly down the hallway, holy light gathering around the head of his mace as he goes. He is careful not to touch the glyph on floor.

Chaaaaaarge!(Literally, I am charging) Zarakiel is going to fly down the hallway if there's room, or simply run if there's not. Either way, he's going to be sure to avoid touching the glyph.

Attack Roll: [roll0]

Power Attack for full, first attack this turn doesn't take penalty. Also going to use Divine Might this turn. -1 use of lay on hands.

Damage Roll: [roll1]

Covenant12
2019-11-09, 05:22 PM
The Mummy, if anything, looks even angrier. His eyes glow a move visible red than the ghouls and ghasts, and convey something deeply distraught. He groans, bashing Zarakiel with both forearms.

Standard slam attack: To-hit: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]

tonberryking
2019-11-10, 12:47 AM
Ellenallen takes that as her cue, hurdling towards the mummy with her lance, its haft once more laced with a screaming spiral of eldritch energy that she puts faith in to punch a hole in this godawful terror. Where the hell did anyone even find a mummy and why bring it here? She doesn't know and only cares about getting rid of it...

Charge. AC is now 19, but I'm attacking it with reach

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

...That's 33 damage from the charge, right? 38 in all?

Covenant12
2019-11-10, 10:06 AM
The Mummy takes a massive, gaping torn hole in his torso. Large enough that it would certainly kill anything living. Sadly he is clearly not living, though he lets out a high-pitched that briefly makes your bones ache.

38 damage done, but Mummies have 5/- damage reduction. Which doesn't apply do eldritch blast damage but definitely does for a lance.
So the Mummy has taken 33 damage at this point.

Stevesciguy
2019-11-10, 06:02 PM
"Excellent hit! Now for my own."

Zarakiel sidesteps around the mummy, attempting to trap it between himself and Ellenallen. Once there, he brings his mace upward in an underhanded swing, head of the mace radiating light once more.

Move Action: move to square opposite Ellenallen

Standard Action: attack mummy

Full Power Attack, no penalty from Furious Focus, I'm not sure if we're flanking yet or not, so I haven't added that bonus
Attack Roll: [roll0]

Using Divine Might:
Damage Roll: [roll1](1d8+21)[25](rerolled in OoC thread)

Covenant12
2019-11-10, 08:06 PM
The Mummy swipes with his right arm as Zarakiel flies overhead, putting his shoulder into it.

The Mummy is then notably more damaged. But the growl after the hit from Zarakiel sounds angry, not so much in pain as you would expect.

He then follows up, slamming both forearms into Zarakiel at once.

AoO: To-hit: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]
Standard action, Slam: To-hit: [roll2], Damage: [roll3]

tonberryking
2019-11-11, 08:45 AM
Ellenallen takes advantage of the mummy's distractions and just tries to put her lance through the thing's head, rearing up and slamming it down in a heavy thrust.

AC is back to 21 I guess.

[roll0] From flanking
[roll1] two handing it
[roll2] Eldritch blast

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-11, 03:55 PM
Considering his options after being released of the paralysis, Luin decides to use his Sonic blast against the mummy. He had a way to recover his power after the battle if it was necessary. Luin concentrates and aims at it.

Using Sonic blast. One point left.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Covenant12
2019-11-11, 05:32 PM
The final two hits do severe damage to the Mummy's torso, causing it to break and buckle, nearly severing in half. He collapses with a weak, wordless groan. As he hits the floor, the smell of death, rot, sand and salt linger for a bit. Not at all pleasant.

The Mummy has a visible belt pouch and very visible finely engraved leather anklet. Otherwise corpse and mummy wrappings. He looks previously human, though a very large individual.

A doorway to the left is the source of the thumping sound. You see what looks like a dwarf zombie with one arm dragging himself in the left corner room.
He is attempting to drag himself through the doorway. As Zarakiel watches, he seems stuck in a repetitive loop. He pushes the door further open, which causes a *thump*. As he attempts to get through, it closes partway and blocks his shoulder, knocking him back somewhat.
Then he stops and pushes the door further open, and this repeats. He is glaring at Zarakiel as he does this, but continues failing to get through the door.

The open door direct across from you has no light at all from outside. (Darkvision works.) It looks like the Mummy damaged it opening it somewhat, and is has numerous empty, sturdy wooden boxes. These look like storage boxes, and there is a fair amount of debris piled in the corner.
Both Zarakiel and Tark(at a greater distance) smell a concentrated, unpleasant smell of death and rot from the room the Mummy came from.

Stevesciguy
2019-11-11, 09:50 PM
"One less of the foul undead in the world. Good work, my friends."

Zarakiel wanders toward the stuck zombie, gazing at it curiously.

"I must admit: I assumed the thumping was going to be something far more ominous than a zombie stuck in a door. How humorous. Best make sure he doesn't unstick himself and cause us trouble."

With a swift motion, Zarakiel brings his mace down on the zombie's head. He does so again for good measure, then rights himself and returns to stand with the rest of the party.

Covenant12
2019-11-11, 10:05 PM
As you enter the hallway, you are faced with four doors, effectively west, east, northwest, and northeast. The east and west doors are closed. The northeast was opened by the Mummy, the northwest the incomplete zombie. The latter has one arm and close to no legs. That room has only a few sturdy wooden storage boxes and traces of snow, apparently it was abandoned there.

The northeast room is apparently the source of the desecrate aura. The evil is palpable without actual detection. A stone table is near the center, decorated with many dark circles with purple borders, similar to the ones found in the Leucrotta's lair. This table has an orc corpse, sturdily tied up, apparently killed from a cut to the neck. An impressive amount of partially dried lies blood beneath. He has been dead perhaps a day. The far end of the table has a makeshift altar, again with purple/black circles. The room also has many small pieces of long rotted clothing, as well as the occasional long-dead body part. There are more open wooden storage boxes, and the arrow slits have been blocked by debris and dark fabric, no light enters the room. One of the open wooden boxes contains a surprising 500 gp. On the walls are more purple/black disks, some overlaid over smaller silver ones. Smells of death and undeath are strongly present.

In the far corner is a large and finely crafted wooden chest. It appears to have no lock but is firmly latched.

Approaching the northeast door triggers a response: An eerie, deep voice in Common originates from nowhere you can discern:

"I hurt myself today. To see if I still feel. I focus on the pain. It's the only thing that's real."
"The needle tears a hole. That old familiar sting. I try to kill it all away. But I remember. Everything."
"What have I become? My sweetest friend. Everyone I know. Goes away. In the end."

The voice goes silent and nothing follows. An eerie feeling persists anywhere near or in the northeast room, however.

tonberryking
2019-11-13, 08:06 AM
Ellenallen's entire body tenses at the sound of the voice; this is clearly getting out of hand as she then stops the earth hard with an angry hoof. "Oh that's just great. How awful would this place be if we'd come any later, I ask?!"

She has abandoned using her lance in such cramped quarters, seeming ready to make a glaive of energy at a moments notice, and after fitting into the northwest room cases it with a frustrated, yet cautious, eye.

"Bloody Necromancer's been shacked up in here, if you ask me, but one of you two-leggers help me out here-- what're the odds that box can hold a person?"

She doesn't expect it to hold treasure or any kind of boon. In fact, she looks ready to demolish it...

Hooboy...

Kn: Arcana, first on all the creepy crap in this room; El wants to try to discern what kind of spells/rituals were being performed here: [roll0]

Second Arcana roll to try to discern if the voice is from a ghost, an enchantment, or is some kind of mummery meant to scare off people: [roll1]

Perception to tell if she can hear any breathing/noise from the box with the latch: [roll2]
And, finally, I am pretty sure I've taken damage, but I have CLW potions: [roll3] assuming you have to be caster level...second to make one?

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-15, 07:41 PM
Luin decides to assist with the room search by casting his detect magic spell again. Its better to ne prepared in case there could be more traps in the área and prevent any losses.

Casting detect magic
Rolling: [roll0]

Covenant12
2019-11-15, 11:58 PM
Uktar (November) 28th, dawn: Still cold and a bit windier now, a moderate amount of clouds out. No snow this morning, but this evening is possible.

The fort looks well designed on closer examination, likely dwarven craftmanship. It would be fairly pleasant, except for the various corpses laying about, undead and otherwise. The three southern towers still have their external doors shut on the ground level, and can also be entered from the roof of each tower. The Great Hall building's main doors are fairly thoroughly destroyed. The walkway to it from the northwest building's upper floor is another possible entrance. In full day the stable looks like it was previously well kept, nothing new of interest. Tark also smells nothing new; with the ghast corpse nearby that may not mean much. You are confident the postern has not been opened in weeks minimum, but looks functional.

At dawn the path leading north outside the main gate is more apparent. Even with some snow since it was made, it is 5'-6' wide and even, from a sled or something similar.

Stevesciguy
2019-11-16, 03:33 PM
"Somewhat less foreboding in daylight. Quite a nice fort, really. Where to now? I think we should clear the rest of the towers before heading deeper in. Don't want anything coming up behind us, after all."

Xenopax
2019-11-16, 05:10 PM
'Fore we move...Da dead 'uns shoud burn. To ashs,"
If Possible, Tark would begin gathering as many of the Undead Corpses as he could without leaving the general vicinity.
"Dey be still fuel. Proppa dead talker bring back,"
It was hard to bring back ashes, so as much as he disliked fire he would stack em up and back off into the corner or wherever. He just needed to be extremely far away from the fire is all.

Covenant12
2019-11-16, 08:54 PM
You break nearly a dozen boxes and pile the various corpses into a makeshift pyre. The wood burns well, and while the smell is fairly unpleasant, the warmth is welcome, even at a distance.

It is roughly 8 AM, and the bodies mostly burnt when....

A constant screaming and wailing starts coming from what seems like inside the southeast tower. It sounds vaguely humanoid, but no words of any language can be made out. It somewhat blurs together, but easily several sources are present.

Ellenallen and Sudu Gileso I both rolled in low 20's on Knowledge(the planes). I bricked Zarakiel's

They are both confident the screaming is not remotely humanoid at all, but an evil extraplanar creature(s).

Though quite disturbing, it becomes apparent the screaming is suspiciously steady. It doesn't really get louder/softer or worse/better.
The sound would be exceedingly muffled from the door alone (closed, open inwards), but comes out more effectively from the tower roof. From previous aerial scouting, the stairway down doesn't have a door or equivalent preventing entry.

Covenant12
2019-11-18, 07:43 PM
The eerie screaming continues, growing somewhat louder as you approach the tower. Opening the door reveals:

A group of writhing, thorny red stalks as thick as a human and nearly 10' tall. Star-shaped leaves ring the plant around a large, spiny seedpod at its heart. Two bristly vines sprout from either side of the pod. In addition, the dirt floor of the tower in writhing red vines, apparently the source of the screaming.

The northern wall looks to have several humanoid corpses piled up. The more intact and visible ones look dwarven, in partially rotten clothing. There is a stairwell leading up and a basement hatch, barely visible through the writhing vines.

You have the drop on this....thing.

tonberryking
2019-11-18, 11:03 PM
Drop this.

Ellenallen looks... well, her pallor is ashen no matter if she was bitten by a ghoul or not, but she seems more robust once more as she snorts in frustration. Ironically, the centaur is clearly sick of this.

"HELL'S BELLS, WHO PUT ALL THIS SCUM HERE!?!" she asks aloud to the heavens before just firing a big literally screaming bolt of energy at the mass of plant tendrils.

"We might need some of those dwarf corpses to identify later, so don't just burn this room to cinders!"

EB-[roll0]

Damage with mortal bane: [roll1]

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-20, 08:58 PM
"I can try casting a spell. Lets see if I can take him out." Luin declares as he casts his magic missile spell. He guesses that he should be able to worn it down a bit.

[roll0]

Stevesciguy
2019-11-22, 01:10 PM
Zarakiel looks at the writhing vines, then down at his mace.

"Er... I do not believe my weapon of choice will be particularly effective here. Would anyone happen to have a spare sword or axe?"

tonberryking
2019-11-22, 03:59 PM
"On my left side!" Ellenallen actually happens to have a spare longsword, picked off some recently dead corpse during the city siege who no longer needed it. She shifts from hoof to hoof, not taking her eyes off the plant monster but it's easily drawn if one needed to take it.

Covenant12
2019-11-24, 12:00 PM
The bizarre red plant launches an odd looking sphere from its central portion, which explodes into a sport cloud, covering Tark and Zarakiel. Thorny growths begin painfully and horrifyingly growing out of their faces quickly. The cloud also has a redish tinge, which fades very quickly.

The mass of vines lurches upward, and moves towards Tark and Zarakiel. The vines coming from the ground fully retract as it does so, thankfully removing the constant screaming.
As it moves closer, the two large vines on either side could function as arms. Otherwise, you can't make out much in the way of features, like eyes/head/face.

Tark takes [roll0] damage.
Zarakiel takes [roll1]

The demonthorn mandrakes actions are: standard action(spore pod), 5' step. Roll20 is accurate. Tark is at 10'/melee reach, Zarakiel can melee with a 5' step.

Xenopax
2019-11-24, 01:55 PM
Tark had spent the last turn relaxing his arms and getting himself ready for a decisive strike of utter brutality. The spores would hit him and sure they'd hurt but his natural regeneration would kill them off soon enough.

Either way, Tark delays until the Mandrake is in Melee Range, before exploding into violence. For a few seconds all anyone can see is Claws and Teeth and Fists.

Everything is delayed until the guy gets up and close.
Last turn I delayed the swift action for a Bronze Knuckle boost. This turn I use a swift action to get Flash Kick up.
Full Attack Action with +2d6 from Bronze Knuckle, An extra Kick at -2 and +2d6 and a + 1d6 from Pugilist Stance

Attack Rolls
[roll0]:Claw
[roll1]:Claw
[roll2]:Kick
[roll3]:Bite

Damage Rolls
[roll4]: Claw
[roll5]: Claw
[roll6]: Kick
[roll7]: Bite

Boosts
[roll8]: Claw
[roll9]: Claw
[roll10]: Kick (Pugulist + Bronze Knuckle + Flash Kick)
[roll11]: Bite

Covenant12
2019-11-24, 04:45 PM
The viciously aimed blows hit the plant brutally. Audibly snapping near the center, it very nearly breaks fully in half. From its 'torso', a redish sap-like substance oozes steadly for a bit and then stops.

The corpses along the north wall look to be all dwarven, in various states of decay. None very recent, you estimate a few years to a few decades. The wear nothing but partially rotted clothing, most of which appears to have once been finely crafted. Likely what they were buried in.
They number 20, stacked fairly neatly in an orderly pile.

The corpses have no possessions themselves. The plant detects as evil but that seems to be fading steadily after death. The only magic is faint, coming from a storage box along the back wall.
Said box has no lid in sight, but has a fair bit of Onyx (550 gp), A large piece of Jade (100 gp), and a potion. The potion is the only source of magic in the tower. It detects faint transmutation.

It also contains something odd. A fairly large piece, what could be described as a tablet, measuring a very even 2'X2'X4". It is very lightweight (a pound if that), but the coloring is strange. It is faintly metallic, but a solid grey-brown combination that doesn't look natural.
You are having a difficult time telling if this is stone, metal, or other. It has a fair amount of writing in the Draconic alphabet on one side. This is deeply but finely engraved, both the edges of the square and engraving in perfect condition.
The alphabet is Draconic (so are 5 common living languages in Faerun), but the words don't match anything any of you are familiar with. This seems very out of place, and puzzling. Detailed examination with detect magic finds nothing.

There is an open set of doors in the floor, unworked dirt but for that surprisingly clean and neat. Light comes in from the narrow spiral stairway up, leading to the roof previously scouted. You are confident you could declare this tower secured.

DaOldeWolf
2019-11-26, 12:00 PM
Luin sighs in relief. "Well, this misión might finally be complete. Does anyone have a way to inform about our success?" Luin wonders about the mysterious words in Draconic. Maybe, he could write them the words down to later investigate more about them.