PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spellcraft and Metamagic

RNightstalker
2019-06-16, 05:35 PM
This hasn't come up but I have a feeling it might so I'm doing my homework.

The Spellcraft skill doesn't mention anything about Metamagic effects applied to a spell, just magic effects.
Would someone be able to tell if metamagic was applied to a spell as it was cast, either how many effects were applied or which effects?

Venger
2019-06-16, 05:42 PM
No. You just identify the root spell. Spellcraft cannot tell you if they used metamagic or what kind they used.

Bohandas
2019-06-16, 06:01 PM
No. You just identify the root spell. Spellcraft cannot tell you if they used metamagic or what kind they used.

Which might indirectly reveal metamagic when cast by a sorcerer, as the spell wpuld take them longer to cast then the spell's listed casting time

Psyren
2019-06-16, 10:13 PM
I would allow this, possibly using the adjusted spell level to set the DC.

KillianHawkeye
2019-06-17, 07:33 AM

I would definitely do this provided that they have or are otherwise familiar with the metamagic feat(s) in question, and probably ad hoc an increase to the DC (maybe +5) if they don't.

Venger
2019-06-18, 10:42 AM

That's a really good idea

I would definitely do this provided that they have or are otherwise familiar with the metamagic feat(s) in question, and probably ad hoc an increase to the DC (maybe +5) if they don't.

That's smart too. +5 makes sense. It's the figure used in the current version of spell thematics, that obscure the original spell.

Psyren
2019-06-21, 10:45 PM
So I just realized that Pathfinder does have a specific way to detect feats (including metamagic) and class features in use - this is an expanded use of the Knowledge skill that appears in Spymaster's Handbook called Recall Intrigues (https://aonprd.com/Skills.aspx?ItemName=Knowledge). In addition to identifying metamagic, this lets you identify almost any feat with an observable component, such as the extra attack from Cleave.

RNightstalker
2019-06-21, 10:48 PM
So I just realized that Pathfinder does have a specific way to detect feats (including metamagic) and class features in use - this is an expanded use of the Knowledge skill that appears in Spymaster's Handbook called Recall Intrigues (https://aonprd.com/Skills.aspx?ItemName=Knowledge). In addition to identifying metamagic, this lets you identify almost any feat with an observable component, such as the extra attack from Cleave.

Thankfully I'm not in PF :smile:

Mike Miller
2019-06-21, 11:02 PM

I like that use of knowledge. I may have to steal it from PF.

Psyren
2019-06-21, 11:53 PM
Thankfully I'm not in PF :smile:

"Thankfully?" Uh, okay, homebrew something then I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like that use of knowledge. I may have to steal it from PF.

Yeah, I don't know how I missed it before. It even lets you identify PrC class features too, at a +10 DC.