PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph any Object and constructs & Undead clarification 3.5

OboTheHobo
2019-06-16, 06:08 PM
Can Polymorph any Object create undead and constructs? I've seen some posts about this in older threads referring to Wotc articles that give 404'd results [Example: h ttps://dnd.wizards.com/go/rg/20040601a] can anyone help give me solid proof that Polymorph any Object can do these things?

Trying to make Animated objects in my wizards spare time.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-16, 06:12 PM
My main concern is that polymorph can only have end forms that are the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin.

RoboEmperor
2019-06-16, 06:32 PM
By RAI yes.

By RAW... iffy?

The rules of the game articles concerning polymorph say you can because PaO lets you turn stuff into unliving materials like rocks so constructs and undead are included. But rules of the game articles are not RAW.

By RAW it's like polymorph except you can turn objects or creatures into objects or creatures.

Some objects are creatures. Intelligent Magic Items is one, Animated Objects are another. The Rules Compendium explicitly state you treat Animated Objects like creatures instead of inanimate objects so we have two different types of objects: creature objects and inanimate objects. You can argue golems are also creature objects because they are explicitly magic items. All constructs are either animated objects or artificially constructed creatures so if you can argue that the construct you want is an animated object then you can PaO into one.

Undead however has no leeway. They are never mentioned to be objects. Only that spells that have a fort save and affect objects can affect them. I mean maybe you can argue a corpse is an object and animating them turns them into creature objects and point out the similarities between them and constructs.

But ultimately, by RAI yes by RAW you need to rule lawyer.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-16, 08:01 PM
Found a non-broken link to WoTC forms h ttp://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040601a[/url]