PDA

View Full Version : Shoving and SCAG cantrips

Rosgath
2019-06-16, 07:07 PM
So I have a question for y'all. Is it possible to replace the attack from the booming blade and Greenflame Blade spells with a shove? The reading of the cantrips says the attack must be made with a melee weapon, and shove rules say that shoving is a special kind of melee attack, but shove doesnt indicate that it isn't a weapon attack(and I can totally see ways that you could shove an opponent using a weapon). In fact, players wielding Two handed weapons can still replace attcks with shoves.

I would think that RAW you should be able to, but what do you guys think?

Mith
2019-06-16, 07:09 PM
By RAW, it would be "No". Since a "melee weapon attack" is something quite specific.

I would still allow it though.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 07:44 PM
By RAW, it would be "No". Since a "melee weapon attack" is something quite specific.

I would still allow it though.

Why? I for one would NOT allow it-they're quite powerful enough on their own.

Zhorn
2019-06-16, 07:57 PM
Reading over the rules, I'm inclined to think "no" by RAW and I would baseline rule it as such at my table.

... But if the PC had some feat or ability that made sense for them to be generally better at wielding a shield as a weapon (shield master, tavern brawler, etc) I would then probably allow it under conditions that fit the theme of the spell. example: shoving a target prone I'd allow with Booming Blade (thunderous energy crackles from you shield and wreaths the target as you slam them to the ground), shoving a target back I'd allow with Green Flame-Blade (a burst of green fire erupts from your shield as you strike the target, also burning an adjacent enemy).

Rosgath
2019-06-16, 08:14 PM
Now I feel like a dunce.

I just read the shove rules a bit closer and by default shove requires you to take the Attack action so it can't be combined. Man that would be pretty cool though...

Mercurias
2019-06-16, 09:31 PM
I would allow it, since a melee attack is a component of the requirement of the cantrip. I don’t know if it counts RAW.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-06-16, 10:06 PM
RAW: no. Shoves are not attacks with a melee weapon. Shoves can only occur as part of the Attack action.

RAI: doesn't matter, it would have no effect as the cantrips effects trigger on hit. And shoves neither hit nor miss, as they don't use an attack roll at all. So you get nothing from doing it as part of a cantrip instead of shoving normally.

Mith
2019-06-17, 12:49 AM
RAW: no. Shoves are not attacks with a melee weapon. Shoves can only occur as part of the Attack action.

RAI: doesn't matter, it would have no effect as the cantrips effects trigger on hit. And shoves neither hit nor miss, as they don't use an attack roll at all. So you get nothing from doing it as part of a cantrip instead of shoving normally.

Fair point. I was forgetting it was a single skill contest rather than a hit and then skill contest.