PDA

View Full Version : Singl class Mountain Dwarf

ZorroGames
2019-06-17, 06:48 AM
While 5e gives “good PC potential” every class (some way better) for most races, there are some classes that seem just begging some races to play them without Multi classes.

So, BLUF, tell me what classes in your opinion play to Mountain Dwarf builds best in RP and Optimizing terms for AL play only.

Gracias.

nickl_2000
2019-06-17, 07:39 AM
I mean with the stat bumps it screams Barbarian/Fighter.

They do get one thing that can allow you to do some weird stuff though. With the medium armor proficiency you can actually give yourself a decent armor class in a Warlock, Bard, Sorcerer, or Wizard with only 14 points put into Dex.

Wildarm
2019-06-17, 09:18 AM
I mean with the stat bumps it screams Barbarian/Fighter.

They do get one thing that can allow you to do some weird stuff though. With the medium armor proficiency you can actually give yourself a decent armor class in a Warlock, Bard, Sorcerer, or Wizard with only 14 points put into Dex.

For AL, that comes at the cost of an extra ASI needed to max your casting stat. You also don't get shield proficiency which means your AC is still pretty bad. I've never found Mountain Dwarf casters very appealing unless you are rolling for stats.

Mountain Dwarf Fighter can be a beast stat wise.

Mountain Dwarf Battlemaster Fighter
Glaive + Defense FS - 19AC in Plate and easy attack and disengage.
HAM(18 Str) or 18 Str/Con @ level 4
PAM @ level 6
GWM@ level 8
20 Str or Res(Wis) @ level 12

You just run around smashing things and using Precision Attack to land GWM strikes and Riposte to generate additional off turn attacks. Pretty classic high DPS melee fighter. You can choose via ASIs to be more offensive or defensive.

Willie the Duck
2019-06-17, 09:22 AM
Str-dominant grapple-rogue makes sense. Pretty much the only thing I can think of that doesn't have medium armor proficiency, but wouldn't also want a shield if they could get it.

Non-valor/swords bard who wants to take feats instead of getting that Dex up to 20 ASAP also benefit.

NaughtyTiger
2019-06-17, 09:35 AM
Fighter or barb is obvious.
But i agree with willy, my str rogue was fun to play, and plenty powerful

Mercurias
2019-06-17, 10:18 AM
For my own sheer enjoyment, I would play a Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight. I’d roleplay him as a blacksmith who dreams of making enchanted weaponry and armor, and run him with a Warhammer in one hand and a Shield in the other.

I’d grab Haste as soon as possible for its additional action, because even though Haste’s additional action only lets you attack once, you can use it for a SCAG cantrip, then use the level 7 War Magic feature to attack on a bonus action, and have your entire main action all set for bashing skulls.

Bonus points for getting someone to cast Enlarge/Reduce to make you Large, then attacking like a mad-Dwarf while shouting, “WHO’S THE SHORT ONE NOW?!”

Teaguethebean
2019-06-17, 05:07 PM
I’d grab Haste as soon as possible for its additional action, because even though Haste’s additional action only lets you attack once, you can use it for a SCAG cantrip, then use the level 7 War Magic feature to attack on a bonus action, and have your entire main action all set for bashing skulls

Actually haste doesn't let you use a cantrip with the additional action so no that wouldn't work

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-17, 05:13 PM
Conquest Paladin + Hexblade is a solid choice here.

You can put your Strength at 13 and leave it (well, 11 with the Mountain Dwarf). Then pump the rest of your stats into Constitution and Charisma, wearing Heavy Armor while ignoring the speed penalty, rocking a powerful Fear aura with a maxed out Charisma, while you use your weapon with the same attribute.