PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ways to shore up my AC?

jaappleton
2019-06-17, 12:06 PM
So my next PC is a Oath if Ancients Dex-based Paladin, whose personality is very over the top justice-y. “Fear not, Citizen, for evil doesn’t stand a chance so long as I’m around!”

Unfortunately we’re fairly unlikely to come across many shops with the likes of Half Plate, full Plate, etc during this adventure.

Curse of Strahd

With starting golf I can nab Studded Leather for 12+Dex, putting me at 17.

I’ve taken the Revenant Blade Feat for +1 AC and +1 Dex. So 18AC there. Which is pretty good, but not amazing, as I’ll be on the front line.

So... I could make my race Warforged, and use their integrated armor (which doesn’t have a Str requirement. Yes, seriously) and have essentially Plate.

I could go Lizardfolk, but that’s just 13+Dex. So 19, all said and done.

Loxodon is 12+Con, but that’s only 15.

Simic Hybrid would also get me +1 AC. So essentially the same as Lizardfolk.

I would rather not cast Shield of Faith every battle.

Any ideas?

Wildarm
2019-06-17, 12:21 PM
Warforged would be your strongest option if there is not expectation of the armor being available.

Dipping Hexblade 1 would be possible if you're going Revenant Blade. Quick boost to your AC when you need it via Shield spell and makes you SAD. Need to put 13 into strength though to multiclass.

Tortle can give you 17AC. Stat boosts are not friendly to a Dex Paladin.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-17, 12:29 PM
Warforged would be your strongest option if there is not expectation of the armor being available.

Dipping Hexblade 1 would be possible if you're going Revenant Blade. Quick boost to your AC when you need it via Shield spell and makes you SAD. Need to put 13 into strength though to multiclass.

Tortle can give you 17AC. Stat boosts are not friendly to a Dex Paladin.

Hexblade is my suggestion, too, but I'd recommend 2 levels. That doubles the number of spell slots you can spend on Shield each Short Rest. Shield lasts an entire round, and combat usually lasts 3-4 rounds. Assuming you have a Rest between each fight (hopeful, but not unrealistic), that's +5 AC 50% of the time.

Makorel
2019-06-17, 12:30 PM
Curse of Strahd is full of undead yeah? Then you should be able to get good mileage out of Protection from Evil and Good.

If you're Dex based you can probably make good use of Defensive Duelist. Lucky is also an option to turn hits on you into misses.

If you've got enough strength multiclass into a spellcaster with access to Shield.

If you can't get your AC up as high as you like maybe try to increase your HP instead. High Constitution, Tough, things like Heavy Armor Master or Absorb Elements to reduce damage, etc.

jaappleton
2019-06-17, 12:42 PM
Curse of Strahd is full of undead yeah? Then you should be able to get good mileage out of Protection from Evil and Good.

Hot damn you're a genius!

Why go for +2 when I can impose DisAdv?! Completely forgot about that spell, thank you!

Sigreid
2019-06-17, 12:44 PM
No spoilers but go everywhere and search everything and you will be ok.

Quoz
2019-06-17, 12:58 PM
Realistically you're probably alright as is. Dont forget that you can take defense fighting style for +1 AC - but with a double scimitar you are probably better off with great weapon style, you get a lot of use out of rerolling 1's and 2's on 2d4.

Warforged will give the best overall results in strictly AC, but you lose access to the racial feat you wanted. Sword and board with defensive style gives 19+Proficiency, which is as good as it gets without magic or OP stats.

If you will also have a solid Wis or Con, picking up a dip in monk or barbarian for unarmored AC could be viable if more than a bit MAD.

If you really want to be the tank that does not break, you want to pick up Shield at some point. The Aberrant Dragonmark feat will be your best bet. Some tables won't allow that, but you listed Warforgedand Simic as options so you're probably fine. +1 Con, a Sorcerer 1st level spell and cantrip (go with utility like Mold Earth) and the ability to spend a hit die to upcast a spell. Really good for spells like Bless that give an extra target at higher levels.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-17, 01:08 PM
Realistically you're probably alright as is. Dont forget that you can take defense fighting style for +1 AC - but with a double scimitar you are probably better off with great weapon style, you get a lot of use out of rerolling 1's and 2's on 2d4.

Just so anyone knows, the GWF Style grants a 2d4 effectively a +1 damage bonus per hit.

jaappleton
2019-06-17, 01:13 PM
Just so anyone knows, the GWF Style grants a 2d4 effectively a +1 damage bonus per hit.

Hmm... Are you stating I'd likely be better off with just going for Defense fighting style?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-17, 01:17 PM
Hmm... Are you stating I'd likely be better off with just going for Defense fighting style?

Sure, if you want to! It's just a fact. What conclusions people come to after that is up to them.

Personally, I'd say the +1 AC is better. Just keep in mind that you're getting +1 more attack with the Revenant Blade than you would with someone using a heavy weapon.

So a Duelist with Extra Attack might get +4 damage per round out of his Fighting style, but a Revenant Blade user with Extra Attack might get +3 damage per round. For some, that might be worth it.

Personally, though, I don't like the idea of rolling (2d4)x3, rerolling 50% of all of your D4s. Ugh.

jaappleton
2019-06-17, 01:26 PM
Sure, if you want to! It's just a fact. What conclusions people come to after that is up to them.

Personally, I'd say the +1 AC is better. Just keep in mind that you're getting +1 more attack with the Revenant Blade than you would with someone using a heavy weapon.

So a Duelist with Extra Attack might get +4 damage per round out of his Fighting style, but a Revenant Blade user with Extra Attack might get +3 damage per round. For some, that might be worth it.

Personally, though, I don't like the idea of rolling (2d4)x3, rerolling 50% of all of your D4s. Ugh.

It does sound like a bit of a pain in the butt in practice, to be totally honest.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the +1 AC being the superior option here.

Vogie
2019-06-17, 02:40 PM
Studded Leather 12AC + 5 Dex + 2 AC (shield) = 19 AC

If you're using Revenant Blade instead of a shield, you'd definitely want Defense style, because the Revenant blade is a 2 handed weapon, which wouldn't allow Dueling fighting style to work.

Studded Leather 12AC + 5 Dex + 1 AC (Defense Style) + 1 AC Rev Blade Feat = 19 AC

However, you could also use one of the Natural Armors, such as being Lizardfolk or grabbing Mage Armor via Magic initiate or sorcerer dip.

Natural Armor 13AC + 5 Dex + 1 AC (Defense Style) = 19 AC
Natural Armor 13AC + 5 Dex + 1 AC (Defense Style) +1 AC (Dual Wielder feat) = 20 AC
Mage Armor 13AC + 5 Dex + 1 AC (Defense Style) + 1 AC Rev Blade Feat = 20 AC

Of course, Warforged makes it simple - you just get 16+prof, so you start with 18AC, then use a sword & board until level 9 when you have natural 20 AC because your prof bonus is +4.

And, of course, depending on your stats, you could also do:

1 level dip in Forge Cleric for +1 AC
1 level dip in barbarian for 10+DEX+CON AC (+shield or Rev Blade) calculation
2 level dip in Bladesinger, for +Int to AC 2x/short rest. Also gives you more spell slots, and ritual casting - however, you can't use shield OR a double blade, as it's a 2-hander.