PDA

View Full Version : Building an Enchanter Chancellor. An Enchancellor.

Mercurias
2019-06-17, 04:00 PM
So we all know the story of the evil Chancellor or Vizier who took control of the king and/or queen via hypnosis and had to be stopped by a band of plucky, ragtag misfits.

For an upcoming one-shot, I'm planning to roleplay that Vizier, one who had been caught and deposed before his plot could really come to fruition. The one-shot takes place out in a frontier town where he's been in hiding, and the party of misfits (including him, and ironically even more rag-tag than those who originally foiled him) is attempting to deal with the threat of an invading city-state.

For the race, I thought a Yuan'ti is a little too on the nose, so I was going to go with a Half-Elf.

Stats are point-buy, so I was going to go with 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 16 INT, 12 WIS, and 14 CHA.

For Skills, I was thinking Deception/Perception (Racial), Arcana/History (Class), and Persuasion/Insight (Courtier Background).

The campaign is running at level 10, which means two ASI's, which I was going to use to bump INT to 20.

By level 10, as an Enchanter I'll have Hypnotic Gaze (short-range hold in the event of emergencies), Instinctive Charm (Sanctuary as a reaction on a long rest) and Split Enchantment (Enchant spells affecting one target can affect one additional target within 5 feat of the original). My goal is to be a backup party face and a general wizard with emphasis on control via Enchantment spells.

How does all this sound? Are there any particular Enchantment spells you recommend? I'm pretty okay on Divine casting, but I'm inexperienced with the Wizard spell list. It's enormous.

Tiamatwing
2019-06-17, 06:37 PM
Playing a similar concept though winged tiefling rather than half elf and just hit level 12, been a fun and effective character to play even if I have had to moderate her most of the time due to 4/6 the party being good aligned and not wanting her to be killed as the power hungry/sociopathic monster she is.

Anyway to the spells, tasha's hideous laughter will be your bread and butter for fight to fight control, dominate person and hold monster for greater control and to aid any damage dealers due to hold monster's paralyzed condition, suggestion is another decent spell for subtle social manipulation especially if you want to add some sorcerer levels for subtle metamagic though personally haven't taken any myself due to not wanting to delay spell progression and love the idea of on demand tasha's or as my character calls the spell "giggle" due to the level 18 feature, yet to find a situation since getting modify memory to make use of it but another good pick mid game imo.

Kane0
2019-06-17, 07:48 PM
Some good enchantment spells to try out
1st: Tasha's Hideous Laughter
2nd: Hold Person, Suggestion
3rd: Enemies Abound
4th: Charm Monster
5th: Synaptic Static

Also make sure to grab a Familiar for spell delivery