PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me find a Spell (or Power)

Erian
2019-06-17, 09:56 PM
I'm making a thought exercise of creating a viable character and I'm in need of a Power (or spell) to create a weapon (of force, or shadow material, or any other material, as long as it's temporary; it can't be a summon, tho, it has to be created for a fixed amount of time) that I can wield, for the design to work.
Something like the Pathfinder's spells:
Shadow Weapon
Holy Ice Weapon
Instant Weapon
(I don't need for it to be magical nor masterwork either)
I haven't been able to find something like this (the closest being Weapon of the Deity, but it requires me to already have the weapon with me; and Spiritual Weapon, but it attacks on its own and I don't wield it).
Thanks in advance! (remember it's 3.5)

P.s: I'd rather avoid creating the spell/power myself, as I'm trying to limit myself to published material (even 2nd party would be ok)

Jack_Simth
2019-06-17, 10:31 PM
Summon Weapon, Complete Mage? Conjouration(Summoning), rounds/level.
Call Weaponry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm)?
Greater Shadow Conjouration(Minor Creation(Quarterstaff))?

Edit: Huh. Summon Weapon is missing the clause for going away required by the Summoning Subschool (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning):

Summoning

A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells. (Emphasis added)

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-18, 12:32 AM
Shapesand. Wear it as a glove and turn it into a weapon at need.

Dimers
2019-06-18, 12:47 AM
Eh? Something wrong with the flame blade style of spell? Coz there are lots of those. Blade of pain and fear is particularly tasty.

Or minor creation?

If that doesn't work:
spectral weapon in SC
tetsubo of earth in OA
ice axe or ice gauntlet in SC
force whip in C.Arcane, sonic whip in SC
thunderlance in SC
prismatic bow in CM

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:05 AM
I appreciate the ideas.
Sadly, Shapesand is an item so not exactly what I was looking for.
Shadow Conjuration is more what I wanted but the % thing sucks.
And Creation seems like what I wanted (too bad it has a skill check and it's still a real item =/ )

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:08 AM
Those are very good choices (still not 100% what I'm looking for but I'm getting there).
Thank you all

Zaq
2019-06-18, 01:20 AM
I guess I don’t understand exactly what you need. Would just taking a dip in soulknife (or another “has a weapon” class, like shadowsmith or shadow sentinel) do the job? If not, what exactly are you looking for that’s different?

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:32 AM
I'm looking for a weapon power (or spell). One that creates a weapon (preferably one that's not the real object, like Weapon of the Deity, but that I can wield myself and apply all my stuff to it).

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-06-18, 01:40 AM
The psychic warrior's soulbound weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) is incredible for this.

You could also do a +1 sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful aurorum raptor arrow. It can be anything you want, any time you want. And it's super cheap, too! It's auto-bane to everything. You're always proficient with it. And if someone breaks it, you can just collect the pieces and put it back together again.

Alternatively, a soulknife/soulbow build, maybe?

Zaq
2019-06-18, 01:40 AM
I'm looking for a weapon power (or spell). One that creates a weapon (preferably one that's not the real object, like Weapon of the Deity, but that I can wield myself and apply all my stuff to it).

Can you please elaborate beyond what you said in the OP? What was wrong with Dimers’s list, and what would make the suggestions more to your liking?

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:44 AM
Ok. I'm looking for something that my character could have "at any time", that's not a physical object (or at least none that can be called as a possession) and that I can wield.
The Soulbound ACF looks good, I'm gonna check it a bit more but it may be what I want.

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-18, 01:45 AM

What aboit pyrokietisist, or the blackstaff spell?

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:52 AM
The pyrokineticist, if I got it right, engulfs an actual weapon. If so, that's not what I'm looking for (still a cool class).
Blackstaff also needs a base staff so it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Unless there's a way to change a non-weapon to a weapon? It's less cool than what I had in mind but it's still good.

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-18, 01:53 AM
The pyrokineticist, if I got it right, engulfs an actual weapon. If so, that's not what I'm looking for (still a cool class).
Blackstaff also needs a base staff so it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Unless there's a way to change a non-weapon to a weapon? It's less cool than what I had in mind but it's still good.

The pyro does not need a base weapon.

I will have time to book dive tomorrow afternoon. Ill see what I can find.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-06-18, 01:53 AM
Ok. I'm looking for something that my character could have "at any time", that's not a physical object (or at least none that can be called as a possession) and that I can wield.
The Soulbound ACF looks good, I'm gonna check it a bit more but it may be what I want.You're not restricted in having just one thing. You can have both the psywar ACF and the arrow above. And when you're not actively using the arrow as a weapon, feel free to shrink it down as a poison ring (from Dragon Compendium). It's a finger-ring with a needle, deals 1 damage on a touch attack, and is ideal for stealthily doling out poison and touch-attack sneak attacks. Feel free to wield one on every finger so you can have lots of options.

Also, since it's sizing and morphing, it can turn into anything that could be considered a weapon. Saws can be used as weapons, but they can also be used as instruments and to cut down trees. Daggers can be wedged in doors to keep them shut, or they can be used as utensils for cutting food, or to clean your fingernails. It's a really versatile utility tool in addition to being useful as a weapon.

If you're going with the soulbound ACF as well, I'd choose something really versatile, such as an elvencraft longbow. It's a quarterstaff, which is both a two-hander and a double-weapon, and it's a composite longbow, too, which is all sorts of useful. If it also contains a bayonet, bow-blade, and/or close-combat blades, it can deal bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage, as well. The only thing it isn't is a reach weapon, though there're options for that, too. There's a feat that allows any pole weapon you wield to count as both a reach and non-reach weapon, so...

Oh, and you can dance on it as well, if you want.

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:54 AM
Something like https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpontaneousWeaponCreation
Preferably something you can select the weapon

Erian
2019-06-18, 01:58 AM
I like the options that you're presenting (really, that sounds amazing and also powerful), it's just that right now I'm looking for flavor-only. Something like an energy weapon that I can call and banish.
And please remember that I'm not to take any objects with me (before or afterwards).

DrMotives
2019-06-18, 06:31 AM
Wu Jen has a bunch of elemental spells like this. Yari of Air, etc. Summons a weapon out of an element, proficiency is granted. Same fluff concept as the core druid spell Flame Blade. I'm away from my books, so I can't dig into details, but people do like Wu Jen for a gish, especially when Jade Phoenix Mage comes up.

Erian
2019-06-18, 08:33 AM
The Yari of Air is something I was looking for! Thank you very much! If there are similar spells please share them!

ShurikVch
2019-06-18, 08:59 AM
There are some spells (dunno how well they fit you):
Dragonmark Whip (Dragonmarked) Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Lightning Blade (Complete Arcane) Wu Jen 2
Moon Blade (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Spell Compendium) Hathran/Nentyar Hunter/Moon 3
Scourge of Force (Champions of Ruin) Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Sonic Whip (Spell Compendium) Bard 2
Thunderlance (Spell Compendium) Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Vile Lance (Book of Vile Darkness) Cleric/Mortal Hunter/Sorcerer/Wizard 3, Blackguard 4,
Whip (Oriental Adventures) Wu Jen 2

Also, Vileblade (Corrupt 6, Dragon #300):
This spell draws out and temporarily crystallizes a sword-shaped portion of the caster's soul that springs out from his hand. This blade-like beam is wielded by the caster as a +4 unholy longsword. All relevant feats, such as Weapon Focus (longsword) apply. The caster also gains proficiency with the blade if he otherwise lacks proficiency with longswords. The vileblade uses the caster's Charisma bonus instead of Strength on attack and damage rolls with it. In addition, all damage done by the vileblade is vile in origin. Vile damage can only be healed with magical healing performed within the area of a hallow or consecrate effect. A vileblade deals double damage against creatures with the opposite alignment of the caster. On a critical hit, the vileblade "infects" the victim's personality unless that victim makes a successful Will saving throw. This personality infection takes the form of a shift in alignment, matching the caster's for the spell's duration. The infected creature acts as though charmed by the caster during this infection.
Corrupt Cost: 1d6 Wisdom damage.

Telonius
2019-06-18, 10:33 AM
It's not exactly a spell or power, but the Incarnate Weapon soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum) lets you create a particular weapon (your alignment determines which weapon) out of Incarnum. Can't be sundered, gains enhancement bonuses depending on how much Essentia are invested.

Thurbane
2019-06-18, 05:37 PM
Enough levels in Binder can get you Eurynome's Maul.

Is this for a VoP build?