PDA

View Full Version : Character Idea: Banjo and Kazooie in 3.5?

SoraWolf7
2019-06-17, 11:02 PM
Okay, so I know we've had a few threads discussing Video Game Character builds, but I think this one's a doozy. I can't help myself after Banjo and Kazooie came back to Nintendo in Smash Ultimate. But let's get down to the real meat and potatoes of this idea: Two Characters acting as one unit in the vein Banjo and Kazooie do. I did a little research, and so far I have two methods that would allow us to replicate Banjo and Kazooie.

The first method is the Symbiotic Creature Template. Kazooie digs her claws into Banjo's back(pack) and makes herself at home.

Benefits of this choice:
- Using Banjo's physical stats (STR, CON, DEX) and Kazooie's mental stats (INT, WIS, CHA)
- Sharing Special Qualities and Special Attacks
- Skill Ranks are shared
- Only a +1 Level Adjustment, so if you want to play this, you can stack hella templates on Kazooie (Like Half-Dragon to reference her Dragon Kazooie form in Banjo-Tooie) and give her tons of power before making her fuse with Banjo, who probably has all the character Levels.

Drawbacks of this choice:
- When you separate, you can't rejoin for a day, and not without taking more damage.
- You can only use the movement options of the host, meaning no Kazooie Flight or Talon Trot
- Kazooie has to be two sizes smaller than Banjo, so in this case, we can't have a Breegul the size of a small dog and a Bear the size of a Human.

The second method would be a bit more reasonable, and probably more effective: Psionic Power Fusion. Banjo and Kazooie truly become one being.

Benefits of this choice:
- Uses the better of either's stats, meaning that Banjo and Kazooie can separate their scores according to their builds as needed.
- All feats, racial abilities, and class features are pooled
- Banjo and Kazooie can freely swap who is in control at the moment
- Their HP pool is their combined HP, and damage is split between the two upon the end of the power. This replicates their ability to separate in Banjo-Tooie perfectly.
- The creatures can be the same size, so Kazooie's wings will let Banjo fly.

Drawbacks of this choice:
- Requires an 8th level Egoist Power slot, meaning you have to wait a long time before you can truly be Banjo-Kazooie.
- Equipment between the two is fused, but you can only use one slot at a time. So you may be wasting good items during the fusion.

Obviously, the Fusion has the least drawbacks, but is more costly to use. Now, I'm a bit curious. I was trying to imagine specifically Banjo-Kazooie for this, but this would also apply to Yooka-Laylee, especially since Laylee is smaller than Yooka. What kind of shenanigans and character builds can we pull off using either the Template, or using Fusion?

Crake
2019-06-18, 12:00 AM
In banjo tooie the two of them are shown to be capable of splitting up, so symbiotic creature definitely doesn't work. A better option would be an athropomorphic black bear (to be medium) and an athropomorphic bird of some kind, probably a small one. Sit the bird inside the backpack, probably an extradimensional one, since banjo is shown to be able to fit inside it again in banjo tooie, and combine them into a "single" character by using the leadership feat. Aside from the invulnerability ability, which uses golden feathers, and they have to be shown how to do it, which means it could be seen as simply using consumable magic items, neither of them demonstrate any particular special abilities, so probably just mundane classes. Wait, I forgot kazooie can shoot and fart eggs, not to mention fire, ice and grenade eggs in banjo tooie. Most of the other abilities involve finding consumable items, like boots, or are just natural extensions of physical abilities, like kazooie carrying banjo, or doing an aerial speed dash. It's the eggs that will be hard to replicate, though you could just use the destruction sphere from spheres of power, and refluff the destruction blasts as eggs, using bludgeoning for normal, fire and ice for.. well, fire and ice, and the burst shape for the grenades.