PDA

View Full Version : Master of Kicks (PrC)

Mr.Moron
2007-10-07, 12:55 AM
This is my first attempt at "Homebrew" anything and as such is probably way out of whack. It's monk-like prestige class and a somewhat bland concept (A guy who is good at kicking things), but I figured starting with something simple would make for good practice.

Requirements:
Alignment: Any Lawful
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus(Unarmed Strike)
Skills: Jump 8 Ranks

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills
The Master of Kick’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill are) Balance(Dex), Climb(Str), Concentration(Con), Escape Artist(Dex), Hide(Dex), Listen(Wis), Swim(Str), Tumble(Dex), Jump (Str)
Skill Points at each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +0 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Great Kick, Monk Abilties
2nd | +1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Kick Specialization
3rd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Flying Kick
4th | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Master Kick Technique
5th | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Phantom Kick
6th | +4 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Roundabout Kick
7th | +5 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Kick Focus
8th | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Master Kick Technique
9th | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | -
10th | +7 | +7 | +7 | +7 | Kick Assault [/table]

Great Kick(Ex)
At the 1st level a Master of Kicks gains a Great Kick attack. Great Kick is considered an unarmed strike in all respects, except that it is treated as a two-handed weapon. Great Kick can be used as a standard attack action and as the weapon for any ability that requires an attack roll. Great Kick cannot normally be used as the weapon for a full attack action, unless otherwise noted by an ability. However, Great Kick can be used as part of a full attack action, granting a single Great Kick attack at his full Base Attack Bonus in addition to any attacks that would normally be made, this incurs no penalties.

Monk Abilities:
A Master of Kicks class levels stack with his monk levels for determining his unarmed damage, AC bonus, unarmored speed bonus and the progression of his Ki Strike class feature.

Kick Specialization:
From the 2nd level onward a Master of Kicks is treated as if he had Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike) for all attacks made with his Great Kick.

Flying Kick
At the 3rd level A Master of Kicks gains Flying Kick(Cwar, 99) as bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Master Kick Technique
At the 4th and 8th levels a Master of Kicks may choose one of the following abilities:

Rapid Kicking(Ex): As a free action a Master of Kicks may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability, he may make a full attack action that round with every attack being a Great Kick. He does not gain his bonus Great Kick attack normally associated with a full attack action when using this ability.

Stunning Foot(Ex): A Master of Kicks may expend two daily uses of his stunning fist ability when he declares a Great Kick attack. This ability acts just like Stunning Fist, however the DC is increased by ˝ his Master of Kicks level.

Leg Thrust(Ex): A Master of Kicks may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability when he declares a Great Kick attack. If the attack hits, instead of taking damage his opponent is pushed backed a number of feet equal to the damage the attack would have caused. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Sudden Kick(Ex): When a Master of Kicks makes an attack of opportunity against an adjacent foe he may expend one daily of his stunning fist ability to immediately make a second attack with his Great Kick.

Phantom Kick(Su)
From the 5th level onward the Master of Kicks may make an attack with a Great Kick as if it were a reach weapon a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

Roundabout Kick
At the 6th level a Master of Kicks gains Roundabout Kick (Cwar, 105) as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. The bonus attack is always made as a Great Kick.

Kick Focus
From the 7th level onward a Master of Kicks is treated as if he had Greater Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) for all attacks made with his Great Kick.

Kick Assault(Ex)
At the 10th level a Master of Kicks can make a full attack with Great Kick attacks at the end of the a charge as if he had the “Pounce” ability. He may use this a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

JackMage666
2007-10-07, 01:00 AM
Overall, it's very nice, except...

Power Kick(Ex): When using his Great Kick attack with any ability that would have him take a penalty on the attack roll, a Master of Kicks may increase his attack bonus by up to 5 or the penalty enforced by the ability, whichever is lower.
This gives them +10 Damage wih every great kick at no cost, which is a bit much. I'd nix this ability, as they get +2 damage and +1 attack with Great Kick thanks to other abilities already.

Mr.Moron
2007-10-07, 01:03 AM
Overall, it's very nice, except...

This gives them +10 Damage wih every great kick at no cost, which is a bit much. I'd nix this ability, as they get +2 damage and +1 attack with Great Kick thanks to other abilities already.

Excellent point. Removed, hopefully I'll think of something suitable to stick in that slot, as I wanted the 9th level to be the only one with no ability benefit.

EDIT: I stick something in there that is (I think) a bit tamer.

Ralfarius
2007-10-07, 10:45 AM
I have a quick question:
Was this inspired by a certain NES video game?

Overall, I find this PrC to be an interesting idea. It sets the stage for a sort of overarching concept of 'schools' of a monk's martial art. Perhaps a punching-based PrC, and one that uses staves?

The three of them could get together and beat up a gang of hatchet-wielding thugs. :smallwink:

Mr.Moron
2007-10-07, 11:30 AM
I have a quick question:
Was this inspired by a certain NES video game?

You mean Kung Fu? That's the only NES game I can think of where kicking is vastly superior to other attacks. Still, no not inspired too much by anything more just a random idea.

Overall, I find this PrC to be an interesting idea. It sets the stage for a sort of overarching concept of 'schools' of a monk's martial art. Perhaps a punching-based PrC, and one that uses staves?

Certainly a possibility, might be fun to take a shot at those. I need more excuses to practice getting ideas out there. Well more the staff one, with all the "Stunning Fist" stuff monks already felt rather punch-oriented to me.

Ralfarius
2007-10-07, 11:33 AM
Actually, the NES game I spoke of was Kickmaster (http://www.gamespot.com/nes/action/kickmaster/index.html)! The name just sparked a memory of me playing through this semi-bad game, with the nigh nonsensical intro. All in all, a glorious 8-bit experience.