PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Holy Ninjas Batman! A question about grappling hooks and invisibility

ChudoJogurt
2019-06-18, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I have a character who uses Invisibility a lot. If he gets a Rod of Ropes, and uses it to grapple-slide or grapple-hook around, would the rope itself be invisible when he shoots it out to latch onto something 300 feet away?

Venger
2019-06-18, 10:40 AM
I assume you're invisible through the invisibility spell. If so, it makes your gear invisible too. The rod of ropes is gear, so yes, it is also invisible, as are the ropes that blast out of it since they're still part of the rod, regardless of distance.

Doctor Awkward
2019-06-18, 12:07 PM
I assume you're invisible through the invisibility spell. If so, it makes your gear invisible too. The rod of ropes is gear, so yes, it is also invisible, as are the ropes that blast out of it since they're still part of the rod, regardless of distance.

If the character is invisible as per the invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm) spell, this is incorrect:

Items dropped or put down by an invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature. Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source). Any part of an item that the subject carries but that extends more than 10 feet from it becomes visible.

So if a character made invisible by the invisibility spell (or any other effect that duplicates or references that spell) uses a rod of ropes to attach to something more than 10 feet away, that part of the rope will become visible.

ericgrau
2019-06-20, 12:46 PM
You can however cast invisibility on objects, and overcome the problem with a 2nd spell. And you can make it permanent with permanency if you want. Since "xp is a river" the 1,000 xp isn't that bad. You'll get it back from accelerated gains within a level or two which is often long before an area dispel happens (if ever). Plus the dispel (if ever) may fail. Or simply cast invisibility twice each time, either way.

denthor
2019-06-20, 01:07 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned this factoid.

In the 2nd level spell any attack. Ropes grappling would be just that. You become visible. The rope becomes visible your still 300 feet away so you have a few rounds before someone can follow them back.

Same for the 4th level spell or potion

Now with a ring. You can shoot grapple become visible. Use the ring to become invisible again and tie the rope to a tree and move round 3

Action to tie rope, action to activate ring. Round 3 your free of anything holding you up from full round actions.

ericgrau
2019-06-20, 11:19 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned this factoid.

In the 2nd level spell any attack. Ropes grappling would be just that. You become visible. The rope becomes visible your still 300 feet away so you have a few rounds before someone can follow them back.

Same for the 4th level spell or potion

Now with a ring. You can shoot grapple become visible. Use the ring to become invisible again and tie the rope to a tree and move round 3

Action to tie rope, action to activate ring. Round 3 your free of anything holding you up from full round actions.
Nope, only if you attack a creature:

The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell.