PDA

View Full Version : [HOUSERULE] ready action and extra attack

alchahest
2019-06-18, 10:16 AM
First, I know how and why you don't get extra attack when you ready an action to attack - extra attack explicitly calls out "on your turn". I'm not asking for hinky reimaginings of RAW or RAI, it is very clear both in text and in clarifications that the RAI matches the RAW.

What I am asking is, given that the mechanical weight of an action for, say a caster could be anything up to the highest level spell it has (or mainly, a cantrip, that scales in better fashion than fighter attacks, and does not cost a resource, and often has additional riders), and that it takes up the action on your turn, and your reaction, would you allow it in your game for extra attack to work as a readied action?

As an example, a 11th level warlock who readies an action to eldritch blast an opponent when they move away from cover will get three shots at the target - a fighter with a bow who readies an action to shoot an opponent when they move away from cover will get a single shot.

I'm thinking of allowing extra attack to work with the readied action in an upcoming game as the players have been kind of leaning away from martials, citing this as one of the reasons (there are other reasons, but this is one that is less about perception and more about actual rules). Can you think of any reason I shouldn't house rule this?

Sgain, and I cannot stress this enough, I know what the RAI and RAW are around this, I'm talking about a house rule that specifically goes against it, not a creative reading that ignores the text. So please miss me with the "that's not how it works". I welcome "your houserule is broken and bad and this is why" however. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't want to start an argument that has nothing to do with my question.

nickl_2000
2019-06-18, 10:24 AM
They are both limited when you ready an action.

Martial - They only get 1 attack
Caster - To ready a spell they start casting it, then hold it until the triggering event happens. According to page 193 of the PHB holding that spell until the triggering event requires that the caster concentrate on the spell that they have readied. So, they lose concentration on anything else. Thus you are concentrating on Hex, and want to ready EB. To do so, you need to drop concentration on hex first.

Given this, I think they are actually pretty even. But that is a personal opinion.

Eyeofpie
2019-06-18, 10:31 AM
One thing that you may not have considered is that Readying an action to Cast a Spell also requires you to concentrate on the spell between the time you ready it and the time you use your reaction. While a level 11 Warlock can ready an action to launch a trio of eldritch blasts, they'll potentially lose any ongoing level 5 spells they were concentrating on to do so. I don't know if this fully balances martials vs casters taking the Ready action, but it's an important limitation that often gets ignored.

Vogie
2019-06-18, 10:45 AM
I mean, I do understand - it's kinda lame that, for example, a 5-9th level Hexblade Crossbow Expert Blade Warlock with both Thirsting Blade and Agonizing blast (for whatever reason) could either Ready an attack with his Heavy Crossbow to deal 1d10+Charisma damage, or Ready a spellcast of EB for 2 rays of 1d10+Charisma damage. While a 15th-level Fighter can ready a single 1d10+Str attack, a 15th level wizard can ready a 3d10 fire bolt. That seems off.

If I wanted to normalize it, I'd require ALL readied actions to require concentration, and also applies extra attack on attack options.

That means that all damage taken requires a concentration check to hold the readied action - if you're waiting for someone to walk around the corner, you could lose your concentration from a stray AOE effect, like fireball. That could be a Readied attack with extra attack (x2)(1d10x3), OR a readied Inflict wounds (3d10), OR a readied Eldritch Blast (1d10x3).

This would be a minor nerf to half-caster or half-martial classes - Bladelocks couldn't concentrate on both a readied thirsting attack and Hex, Paladins couldn't concentrate on both Shield of Faith and an attack, and War clerics couldn't concentrate on both a readied Divine Strike attack and Bless simultaneously.

alchahest
2019-06-18, 11:20 AM
I'm away from book right now, but is the rule for concentration that you can only concentrate on one spell, or one ____ ? I think besides spells and readying spells, currently nothing uses concentration, is that correct?

the wording might reflect that and make it possible to concentrate on a spell and a readied action? I am not opposed to overhauling big chunks to bring things together like this. I think fighters in particular wouldn't normally be too fussed about having to concentrate (as they are proficient in con saves and often have a positive con score), but those interactions with EKs and Paladins could be tricky.

Perhaps a middle ground - you can take extra attacks if you concentrate, or a single attack if not?

most half casters that would potentially have a concentration spell up will generally be a: smiting, b: sneak attacking or c: an eldritch knight (who is as likely to use an attack cantrip like booming blade in many scenarios)

all food for thought, thank you all so far for your input!

Contrast
2019-06-18, 12:11 PM
I'm away from book right now, but is the rule for concentration that you can only concentrate on one spell, or one ____ ? I think besides spells and readying spells, currently nothing uses concentration, is that correct?

You can only concentrate on one thing at a time.

There are things other than spells which require concentration - for example the glamour bards Mantle of Majesty ability requires maintaining concentration.

Vogie
2019-06-18, 12:16 PM

the wording might reflect that and make it possible to concentrate on a spell and a readied action? I am not opposed to overhauling big chunks to bring things together like this. I think fighters in particular wouldn't normally be too fussed about having to concentrate (as they are proficient in con saves and often have a positive con score), but those interactions with EKs and Paladins could be tricky.

Perhaps a middle ground - you can take extra attacks if you concentrate, or a single attack if not?

most half casters that would potentially have a concentration spell up will generally be a: smiting, b: sneak attacking or c: an eldritch knight (who is as likely to use an attack cantrip like booming blade in many scenarios)

Concentration is currently only used for spells, rituals, and spell-like abilities such as features that state they require it (such as the Minor Alchemy feature for Transmutation Wizards). I like the idea of being able to ready a full action using concentration, while something like a single attack (more of a flail) would not.

I wouldn't want to make it too obtuse, as the Concentration effect is a nice "binary-threshold" mechanic - You're either concentrating, or you're not. If you don't mind overhaulling things, then maybe expand the non-spell usage of Concentration as a mechanic. Such as:

Martials can Concentrate to avoid being flanked by a pair of creatures (but not 3+).
Anyone can Concentrate to use the Search Action as a bonus action.
Those who are Keeping Watch can concentrate to raise passive perception.
You can use concentration to give yourself a bonus on tracking a target if not proficient in survival, or attempting to understand someone speaking in a language you're not proficient in.

Teaguethebean
2019-06-18, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised nobody said this but additionally if Bob the fighter prepares to attack when the orc turns the corner but then the orc doesn't come he loses nothing but if Joe the wizard prepares a fireball if the orc turns the corner he loses the spell slot whether or not he attacks the orc. As the spell is cast immediately not when the condition is met.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-18, 05:02 PM
I'm stealing this.

...basically whenever Vogie puts is mind to something, I end up stealing it xD

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-06-18, 05:04 PM
I say that if you allow extra attack allow casters to ready cantrips without concentration.

I think it will fix it.
I now consider to use it myself, thank you for the idea :)