PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Necromaster feat

Segev
2019-06-18, 12:57 PM
A feat for those necromancers who aspire to control entire armies of minions. Yes, it means they probably are minoring in Enchantment:

Necromaster
You are particularly adept at using magic to compell the undead.
Undead creatures suffer disadvantage on saves versus any spells you cast which inflict the Charmed condition.
Undead Charmed by you count as having been created by you.
You are considered proficient in charisma checks against the undead.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-06-18, 02:43 PM
I like where this is headed.
I think adding a prerequisite of “be able to cast A spell or use an ability that creates or summons an undead creature.”

That way Hexblade Warlocks and warlocks in general can make use of it.

Segev
2019-06-18, 03:51 PM
I like where this is headed.
I think adding a prerequisite of “be able to cast A spell or use an ability that creates or summons an undead creature.”

That way Hexblade Warlocks and warlocks in general can make use of it.

I don't think 5e feats have prereqs, do they?

Hypersmith
2019-06-18, 04:43 PM
I don't think 5e feats have prereqs, do they?

Either ability scores (dex or str 13, etc), a race (halfling, etc), or (the ability to cast one spell). Those are the only prereqs 5e uses afaik

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-23, 11:15 AM
Don't most of these spells have the "doesn't affect undead or constructs" clause?

Great Dragon
2019-06-23, 02:54 PM
Animate Dead creates one Zombie or Skeleton, or reasserts control over four Undead the caster already created with Animate Dead.
Plus two per spell slot over 4th level.

The creature/s is under your control for 24 hours, after which it stops obeying any command you have given it. To maintain control of the creature for another 24 hours, you must cast this spell on the creature before the current 24 hour period ends.

Create Undead
6th-level Necromancy (Cleric, Warlock, Wizard)

Casting Time: 1 minute

Range: 10 feet

Components: VSMgp

Duration: Instantaneous

You can cast this spell only at night. Choose up to three corpses of Medium or Small humanoids within range. Each corpse becomes a ghoul under your control.
(The GM has game statistics for these creatures.)

This use of the spell reasserts your control over up to three creatures you have animated with this spell, rather than animating new ones.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a 7th-level spell slot, you can animate or reassert control over four ghouls. When you cast this spell using an 8th level spell slot, you can animate or reassert control over five ghouls or two ghasts or wights. When you cast this spell using a 9th level spell slot, you can animate or reassert control over six ghouls, three ghasts or wights, or two mummies.

phb 229

6th+ level Necromancers get a bonus Undead of the chosen type with each casting.

Charm Monster (XgE) and Dominate Monster (PHB) are the only spells I can think of that might qualify for the feat.

Segev
2019-06-23, 03:24 PM
Animate Dead creates one Zombie or Skeleton, or reasserts control over four Undead the caster already created with Animate Dead.
Plus two per spell slot over 4th level.

6th+ level Necromancers get a bonus Undead of the chosen type with each casting.

Charm Monster (XgE) and Dominate Monster (PHB) are the only spells I can think of that might qualify for the feat.

Geas, too, at the least. Counterintuitively, the best way for a necromancer to control more than he can maintain with Animate Dead is through enchantment school spells. This fear is meant to enhance that.

Great Dragon
2019-06-24, 01:39 AM
Necromaster
You are particularly adept at using magic to compell the undead.
Undead creatures suffer disadvantage on saves versus any spells you cast which inflict the Charmed condition.
Undead Charmed by you count as having been created by you.
You are considered proficient in charisma checks against the undead.

Geas, too, at the least. Counterintuitively, the best way for a necromancer to control more than he can maintain with Animate Dead is through enchantment school spells. This fear is meant to enhance that.

What I see as being the problem, is that the feat doesn't add extra Undead, only that those not created, but Charmed, are added to valid targets when Animate Dead, and (for higher CR/HD Undead) Create Undead are used for controlling them.

Like, say having this feat and using Charm Monster on a Vampire, and then use Create Undead to extend the Charmed duration to 24 hours?

Just to make sure: Was this the goal?

Segev
2019-06-24, 10:12 AM
What I see as being the problem, is that the feat doesn't add extra Undead, only that those not created, but Charmed, are added to valid targets when Animate Dead, and (for higher CR/HD Undead) Create Undead are used for controlling them.

Like, say having this feat and using Charm Monster on a Vampire, and then use Create Undead to extend the Charmed duration to 24 hours?

Just to make sure: Was this the goal?

Actually, no, but it's a happy accident, in my opinion. The actual goal was that your mid-level Wizard(Necromancer) comes across some free-range undead, casts charm monster on them, and now they're under his sway and get the bonuses related to being undead he created (extra hp, use his Proficiency bonus on attack and damage rolls, etc.).

...though technically, I don't think the quoted trick works, anyway, as written. It doesn't matter if you created the undead; if you let the control lapse, no amount of animate dead nor create undead would bring them back under control. So Charming a vampire doesn't make it vulnerable to create undead's control clause, since you didn't have control from having created them as-is.

What this feat does is make it easier to bring additional undead under your control (especially if you use dominate monster rather than charm), and bolsters them if you have bonuses you grant for them having been created by you.