PDA

View Full Version : Multi-classing and skills.

SoD
2007-10-07, 02:21 AM
OK, here's my question. Just say, for example, I've got a player who's playing a barbarian. Next time he levels up, he wants to start taking levels in rogue. As the rogue and barbarian class skills aren't identical, here is my question-do the rogue skills become permanantly in class for working out skill points, or only for the rogue level skill points?

E.G. Pick Lock. In class for the rogue, so no worry about putting ranks in it. But then, if he also wants to put a few more ranks into survival at that level (IC for Bar, CC for Rog)...is it considered in-class, because he's already a barbarian, or cross class because it's a rogue level?

Dhavaer
2007-10-07, 02:22 AM
Survival would be in-class for purposes of maximum ranks, but cross-class for purposes of buying ranks.

SoD
2007-10-07, 02:24 AM
Perfect, thank you. I've got a player multi-classing with rogue to fighter next session...starting in about one and a half hours, and I suddenly realised I didn't have a clue about that part of buying skills!

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-07, 02:26 AM
Class skills, I believe, are only class skills when you're leveling up the class for which they are class skills.

Um.

Yes, if your player wanted Survival as a class skill, he would have to return to Barbarian. If he tried to increase his Survival skill as a Rogue, he would have to pay two points apiece, per the cross-class rules.

Similarly: when you take a bunch of cross-class skills to qualify for a prestige class (for instance, you're a Wizard and you need four ranks in Disable Device to qualify for Geometer), you pump eight points into it to obtain those four ranks. Upon entering the Geometer class, Disable Device becomes a class skill -- but you still only have four ranks in it. The eight points you have in it do not transform into eight ranks, even though it is a class skill now.

SoD
2007-10-07, 02:37 AM
OK, thanks for that, both of you. I'd hate to have to bluff something like that and pretend I know what I'm doing...the consecencicies could be awful either way!

W00t! I'm a halfling now. Just realised.