PDA

View Full Version : Alcy chance of getting a map of the Northern Continent?

Procyonpi
2019-06-18, 04:19 PM
Like we got for the Western Continent in BRitF and for the Southern Continent in NGDU?
We even have a detail of the Dwarven lands!

dtilque
2019-06-18, 05:02 PM
I'd say unlikely. A lot of the early story happened in parts of the Northern Continent, but I don't think Burlew had a map in mind for it. So to make it consistent, he'd have to go back through the first couple books to find any geographic info embedded in the text and then construct a map that doesn't conflict with that. True, he could use the Gazetteer of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?416070-Gazetteer-of-the-Stick) (compiled by some foolish fan who has too much time on his hands) and save a lot of time, but it'd still be a lot of work. And there'd be nothing to gain for this work.

He did do something vaguely along these lines when he started a sourcebook for the Stickverse. He abandoned that, although he published what he'd done so far as additional matter in the back of the online Don't Split the Party.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-06-18, 05:44 PM
Actually, the notional sourcebook means he might already have that map.

dtilque
2019-06-18, 08:23 PM
No it doesn't. It has three maps, but they aren't of the whole Northern Continent. One is the area just north of the Southern Continent map (which is actually a map of just the Cyan Peninsula and nearby lands, BTW). It shows where Greysky City is and area around it. Another is of a land northwest of Cliffport called Uptharnorr which will not be in the story. The third is of the Undescribed Territories, and there's not really much to say about that map.

Anyway, there's a large chunk of land north of Greysky City, including the area around and to the northeast of Cliffport, which is not mapped. There's also a lot of the Southern Continent which is not mapped.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-18, 09:59 PM
Probably full of mountains...

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-06-18, 10:07 PM
There's a partial map when Bandana's talking about the path they'd take to Firmament.

dtilque
2019-06-18, 10:38 PM
That's the map of Dwarven lands mentioned in the OP.

Linneris
2019-06-19, 04:23 AM
I won't be surprised if Rich doesn't want to lock himself out of options before he's done telling the story that takes place on the Northern Continent. Releasing a map now would limit his freedom to tweak things later.

brian 333
2019-06-19, 06:50 AM
A global map incorporating the maps already published would make a nice Christmas gift. I'd buy one in wall-map size. Also half a dozen place mats and a mouse pad.

Chronos
2019-06-19, 08:12 AM
We've also seen the planet from space at least once, though I don't know which continent we were facing at the time.

hamishspence
2019-06-19, 08:51 AM
The side with the Northern continent:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html

- the Western continent is visible on the left, and matches later maps of it:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

Squire Doodad
2019-06-19, 11:05 AM
I agree, this would be an awesome idea. All of the maps have been very incomplete or very regional.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-06-19, 01:22 PM
To be completely honest, my hope is that once Rich finishes Book 7, he goes back and finishes the sourcebook. We don't need the game rule stuff, we want the fluff. And it'd be mostly text, which would be nice for his drawing hand.

dtilque
2019-06-19, 03:08 PM
I won't be surprised if Rich doesn't want to lock himself out of options before he's done telling the story that takes place on the Northern Continent. Releasing a map now would limit his freedom to tweak things later.

That actually doesn't seem to be an issue for him. The map of the Western Continent came out long before he was done with the action on that continent. We saw the map of the Dwarven lands before almost any action had taken place there. (The exception being Durkon being kicked out of his home years before.) The map of the Cyan Peninsula was around long before he wrote the O-Chul story.

I suspect the real reasons are, as I said upthread, making it consistent would take a lot of work and there would be no payoff. OK, maybe if he finishes the sourcebook and puts it in there, there'd be a payoff. But his plan for that seemed to be to make a number of regional maps rather than a map of the whole continent.

HorizonWalker
2019-06-19, 10:51 PM
That actually doesn't seem to be an issue for him. The map of the Western Continent came out long before he was done with the action on that continent. We saw the map of the Dwarven lands before almost any action had taken place there. (The exception being Durkon being kicked out of his home years before.) The map of the Cyan Peninsula was around long before he wrote the O-Chul story.

I suspect the real reasons are, as I said upthread, making it consistent would take a lot of work and there would be no payoff. OK, maybe if he finishes the sourcebook and puts it in there, there'd be a payoff. But his plan for that seemed to be to make a number of regional maps rather than a map of the whole continent.
Hang on, you keep saying "Cyan Peninsula." What evidence do we have that the map in GDGU isn't actually of the Southern Continent?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-06-20, 01:12 AM
None. The map is clearly labeled "The Southern Continent".

The Cyan Peninsula is a chunk of land near Azure City.

dtilque
2019-06-20, 01:24 PM
Hang on, you keep saying "Cyan Peninsula." What evidence do we have that the map in GDGU isn't actually of the Southern Continent?

I don't have GDGU yet and I was thinking the reference was to the map in the back of W&XPs. That map is just of the Cyan Peninsula. So sorry, I was mistaken on this. Are these two maps different?

Note: it's not that I'm not going to buy GDGU, but I was waiting to order it with the 6th book. Saves on shipping.

Jasdoif
2019-06-20, 01:34 PM
I don't have GDGU yet and I was thinking the reference was to the map in the back of W&XPs. That map is just of the Cyan Peninsula. So sorry, I was mistaken on this. Are these two maps different?Yes. Azurite Territory is only about one-sixth of the map, and the only land connection is labelled "To Greysky City" so I believe this is the entire Southern Continent (just in case I wanted to doubt the title on the map's legend). Other named areas include the Sunken Valley, the Ghostlands, the Peripheral Frontier, the Realm of the Dragon, and the Raja Kingdom; as well as subregions and/or settlements within each, and surrounding bodies of water.

dtilque
2019-06-20, 01:44 PM
OK, thanks. I guess I'll have some additions to the Gazetteer when I get that book.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-06-20, 02:26 PM
If you don't want to wait, the PDF is available on Gumroad. You can bundle it with the new AMFES.

dtilque
2019-06-20, 02:52 PM
I already have the O-Chul story and Therkla-Sangwaan story through being a Kickstarter supporter. AIUI, there's only one other story in GDGU plus some other stuff like the map. I'm not sure that's worth the money for a download. I only got the Digital Edition of DStP because there was no other way to get the additional stuff. I assume the additional stuff will be in the print edition of GDGU. Since I'm on a budget here, I think I'll wait.

hamishspence
2019-06-20, 02:54 PM
I already have the O-Chul story and Therkla-Sangwaan story through being a Kickstarter supporter. AIUI, there's only one other story in GDGU plus some other stuff like the map. I'm not sure that's worth the money for a download. I only got the Digital Edition of DStP because there was no other way to get the additional stuff. I assume the additional stuff will be in the print edition of GDGU. Since I'm on a budget here, I think I'll wait.

Actually there's three other stories - Young Lien, the Katos, and Mr Scruffy.