PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Summoning?

StevenC21
2019-06-19, 01:49 AM
What are some good options? For this character, I am looking for an arcane caster (sorry, no Druids).

I am able to use all 1st party sourcebooks but no homebrew or dragon mag (though Dragon Compendium is valid).

Any class/race combination is valid.

The focus would be on getting powerful beatsticks, rather than having them available for long periods of time, or having multitool summons.

I have found the default Summon Monster I-IX list to be... rather lacking in power.

gooddragon1
2019-06-19, 01:50 AM
You could summon something and then polymorph it into something better. Like a Firbolg from a huge or larger elemental of your choice.

Silva Stormrage
2019-06-19, 02:19 AM
Greenbound Summoning and Ashbound Summoning works quite well and don't require being a druid just being able to cast the various summon nature's ally spells. I am sure there is a way to add those to the Wizard's spell list, worst case scenario you can use a custom runestaff with UMD.

Also not an arcane caster but Psions focused on Astral Constructs can create some pretty decent beatsticks. Especially if you use things like Midnight Augmentation and overchannel to get higher level constructs earlier than you are supposed to. You can use spell to power erudites to get both that and regular arcane casting if you wish.

Zaq
2019-06-19, 08:40 AM
Malconvoker (Complete Scoundrel) is the classic option for just straight up doubling the effectiveness of most of your summon monster spells, at least if you stick to a certain (perfectly acceptable) style of critter.

Venger
2019-06-19, 08:43 AM
check out the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?528090-Mastering-the-Malconvoker) and have fun

Eldariel
2019-06-19, 10:03 AM
Just go Rapid Summoning Wizard with the typical feats and you're golden. Honestly, you need little else. It's more a matter of getting acquainted with the various summons, such as via Summoner's Desk Reference:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-20, 05:17 PM
Greenbound Summoning and Ashbound Summoning works quite well and don't require being a druid just being able to cast the various summon nature's ally spells. I am sure there is a way to add those to the Wizard's spell list, worst case scenario you can use a custom runestaff with UMD.

Also not an arcane caster but Psions focused on Astral Constructs can create some pretty decent beatsticks. Especially if you use things like Midnight Augmentation and overchannel to get higher level constructs earlier than you are supposed to. You can use spell to power erudites to get both that and regular arcane casting if you wish.

Arcane Disciple for the Animal Domain, then Spontanious Summoner feat. You gott wait till you can cast SNA 4 though.

Thurbane
2019-06-20, 05:19 PM
I have found the default Summon Monster I-IX list to be... rather lacking in power.

Some more options from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?568337):

Abyssal Army
Aerial Summoning Dance
Armageddon
Call of the Twilight Defender
Creeping Doom
Doom of the Seas
Dragon Ally
Dragon Ally, Greater
Dragon Ally, Lesser
Elemental Swarm
Eyes of the King
Fierce Pride of the Beastlands