PDA

View Full Version : Imp vision and counterspell

Master O'Laughs
2019-06-19, 07:31 AM
Quick question:

As a pact of chain warlock, I am using my action to look through the imp's eyes to pierce some magical darkness.

I am behind a door. The i a wizard in the magical darkness casts magic missile at the imp. He is within 60' feet of me. Can I counterspell the magic missile?

My actually body cannot see the wizard, but since I am looking through the imp's eyes I can.

The wizard is within the spell's range.

Burley
2019-06-19, 07:37 AM
I think that YOU need to have line of sight, since you're the one casting the spell.
The only time you can cast through your familiar is to deliver Touch range spells.

Also, remember that, when remote viewing through your imp, you're blind and deaf, so, you have no line-of-sight and you're flat-footed, or whatever the 5e term is. (You offer advantage? I haven't played 5e is so long!)

NaughtyTiger
2019-06-19, 08:11 AM
"Counterspell: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell"

You are within 60' of the caster.
You can see the caster.

Spell nor book say that you have to view it by your own physical eyes.

(EDIT: looked at line of sight.)
PHB does say "To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can’t be behind total cover."
you are targeting the creature. there is a wall between you and the creature.

(You cannot CAST it through the Imp because, that feature is only for touch spells.)

originally i typed yes, now i think no.

Millstone85
2019-06-19, 08:29 AM
(EDIT: looked at line of sight.)
PHB does say "To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can’t be behind total cover."
you are targeting the creature. there is a wall between you and the creature.Cover isn't about sight, but the wall is indeed a problem.

Dalebert
2019-06-19, 08:55 AM
originally i typed yesu, now i think no.

Exactly. Per the general rules of spellcasting, all spells by default require a clear path to the target which it then clarifies as meaning it can't be behind total cover. So you've met one requirement: you can see your target. You haven't met the other requirement: a clear path to your target.

Alternate scenario:
Let's say you're in magical darkness and using your action to look through your imp's eyes. Not behind anything. Now you can counterspell because it only takes a reaction and you've only used your action and you can see your target (through your imp's eyes).

Master O'Laughs
2019-06-19, 10:02 AM
Gotcha, thanks everyone for the answer/responses!