PDA

View Full Version : The Ducal Palace fight in Baldur's Gate would be inexcusable in P&P D&D.

tchntm43
2019-06-19, 08:34 AM
Imagine you are playing D&D with friends around a table:

DM: The doppelganger kills the NPC you've never met before named Liia.
Players: Huh, well... not surprising. These things are even harder than regular doppelgangers. Let's keep attacking them.
DM: The doppelganger kills Belt, another NPC you've never met before.
Players: Sucks for them. Let's keep killing the doppelgangers, maybe we can get to Sarevok after.
DM: A mage you've never seen before teleports into the room. He casts Flame Strike and kills you - no, I don't need to roll for damage and you don't need to roll saving throw. You're dead. This campaign is over. I'll have you reroll new characters next session.

It's actually worse than that because there are other seemingly random things that can trigger the automatic death.

Winthur
2019-06-20, 04:25 AM
Please, OP, finance an artist to do a Darths & Droids style spoof that pokes fun at how nobody would want to actually play a D&D campaign where one of the characters is a special snowflake exalted child with superpowers and the rest are his lackeys and the DM throws level 5 spellcasters as a fairly constant threat to the level 1 party. On top of that, also arbitrarily enforce restrictions on spells because the DM is literally incapable of imagining flight or teleportation for the player, except multiple enemy mages have no problem with casting Dimension Door. Lastly, nerf the Bard and the Druid for no reason other than you couldn't be bothered with looking up their rules and figured they'd be too complicated. :smalltongue:

Morty
2019-06-20, 04:38 AM
Well... yeah, that's why it's a computer game and not a PnP scenario.

Psyren
2019-06-20, 03:52 PM
Isn't this the game where you can run into Drizz't and Elminster at like level 2, and the game lets you attack them? Balancing every encounter was not the primary focus of that game.

Besides which, lest you forget, the DMG says 5% of encounters are supposed to be "Overpowering", with another 15% being "Very Difficult." So PnP is no better when you get right down to it. I'm pretty sure there are more than 20 fights in BG.

The Glyphstone
2019-06-22, 12:31 PM
It sounds like the problem isn't 'overpowering encounter difficulty', but the arbitrary 'Rocks Fall Everyone Dies' moment triggered by running out an invisible timer you don't know about. That is bad design regardless of difficulty.

Maryring
2019-06-23, 05:20 AM
It sounds like the problem isn't 'overpowering encounter difficulty', but the arbitrary 'Rocks Fall Everyone Dies' moment triggered by running out an invisible timer you don't know about. That is bad design regardless of difficulty.

This. Also, the timer is random and very short and you have no guaranteed way to stop the timer, since both of the dukes are pretty much defenseless, suicidal and priority targets.

I love the game, but the Ducal Palace fight is one of the few points I actively dislike.

Also, you don't have to fight Drizzle or Elmer Fudd. You can if you want to challenge yourself, but it's not a requirement. The Ducal Palace fight is a storyline encounter that you can't avoid if you want to win the game.

Winthur
2019-06-23, 06:55 AM
you have no guaranteed way to stop the timer
Casting Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at Belt or Jiia would be a viable Rules As Written way to make him immune to damage and therefore guaranteeing his safety, but the problem is that ORS is a spell coded with an "attack" flag, which unintentionally causes Winski Perorate to teleport in and nuke you down regardless of the fight's outcome anyway, because you "attacked" plot-critical NPCs. Womp womp. :V

Maryring
2019-06-23, 09:39 AM
Casting Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at Belt or Jiia would be a viable Rules As Written way to make him immune to damage and therefore guaranteeing his safety, but the problem is that ORS is a spell coded with an "attack" flag, which unintentionally causes Winski Perorate to teleport in and nuke you down regardless of the fight's outcome anyway, because you "attacked" plot-critical NPCs. Womp womp. :V

See, I read this post and was just about to go "but that's an attack" and... yeah. There really should be a way to remove vulnerable, plot critical elements from a fight that doesn't result in said attempt at salvation making the NPC hostile.

Psyren
2019-06-23, 03:32 PM

And that's fine, but that's a problem with that specific encounter design, not CRPGs in general.

Besides, you can absolutely do something that unfair in P&P, you're just likely to get a PHB upside the head if you try :smalltongue:

Kish
2019-06-27, 01:32 PM
It'd be more a matter of,
DM: The doppelganger kills Liia.
Players: Huh, well... not surprising. These things are even harder than regular doppelgangers. Let's keep attacking them.
DM: The doppelganger kills Belt.
Players: Sucks for them. Let's keep killing the doppelgangers, maybe we can get to Sarevok after.
DM: Sarevok leaves by the door.
Players: Bah, I guess we'll have to chase him later. *finishes the fight* Now--
DM: Dozens of guards swarm into the room and attack you.
Players: What?! Why? We're the good guys!
DM: The only Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate is now Sarevok. Your arrest order has been upgraded to a kill on sight order and your goal just became literally impossible with resources you're anywhere close to having.
Players: What, because two shlubbo noname-zakis died?! This isn't fair!
DM: ...Why is it my fault you tuned out when I explained the government structure of Baldur's Gate and the nature and goal of Sarevok's scheme? Multiple times?

LibraryOgre
2019-06-27, 01:37 PM
DM: The only Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate is now Sarevok. Your arrest order has been upgraded to a kill on sight order and your goal just became literally impossible with resources you're anywhere close to having.
DM: ...Why is it my fault you tuned out when I explained the government structure of Baldur's Gate and the nature and goal of Sarevok's scheme? Multiple times?

I already know EXACTLY which player of mine this is. The one who keeps interrupting any explanation given, and then is surprised by development such as "The vampires killed the corpses you found but wouldn't shut up during the description of your findings."

Literally, last night it was "Wait, Waterdeep is destroyed?"
"Yes. I told you last week about the column of silver light that descended from the sky in that direction."
"I don't remember that."
"You were explaining to everyone how your character never talks."

Cazero
2019-06-28, 01:04 AM
Except for the fact you already spent an entire chapter being hunted by the Flaming Fist who were already doing the kill on sight thing. The player never neded any support from the dukes to oppose Sarevok, so from a gameplay perspective, there are exaclty two differences : you missed an easy shot at Sarevok, and the pretense of open war will allow the personal army he already had to take more obvious security measures. I certainly makes your job harder, but impossible? I don't think so.
And considering the game have you chasing him to his death immediately after that encounter, it's even questionable how the dukes being dead would have the time to impact anything.

What it justifies is a bad ending epilogue about the city falling apart or something. But since the game allows you to play an Evil dickwad, it's perfectly possible that CHARNAME wouldn't care.

Kish
2019-06-28, 05:58 AM
Yeah, that just makes me want to repeat the last line I gave the DM there.

Fact is, if you decided your goal was "assassinate Sarevok," rather than "expose Sarevok's scheme to the Grand Dukes and stop him from seizing total power in Baldur's Gate," you were ignoring everything the game actually told you beyond "your enemy will be at the Ducal Palace." The game has you "chasing him to the death" as he hides in a ruined temple of Bhaal with his most fanatical followers and the surviving Dukes support you going after him, not you trying to assassinate the sole Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate; choosing not to see a difference there would get you an "implied facepalm" look from a DM I'd consider competent.

Considering that--as I pointed out--with the other two Dukes dead Sarevok is the supreme power in Baldur's Gate, and he can provably teleport away from you...why exactly would he ever stand and face you in that circumstance?

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 06:10 AM
Yeah, that just makes me want to repeat the last line I gave the DM there.

Fact is, if you decided your goal was "assassinate Sarevok," rather than "expose Sarevok's scheme to the Grand Dukes and stop him from seizing total power in Baldur's Gate," you were ignoring everything the game actually told you beyond "your enemy will be at the Ducal Palace." The game has you "chasing him to the death" as he hides in a ruined temple of Bhaal with his most fanatical followers and the surviving Dukes support you going after him, not you trying to assassinate the sole Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate; choosing not to see a difference there would get you an "implied facepalm" look from a DM I'd consider competent.

Considering that--as I pointed out--with the other two Dukes dead Sarevok is the supreme power in Baldur's Gate, and he can provably teleport away from you...why exactly would he ever stand and face you in that circumstance?

He can't seize total power in Baldur's Gate if he's dead, can he now?

The "support" of the grand dukes is more moral support than practical, they sit in their manors thinking good thoughts about you and your activities. You could just as easily have chased Sarevok down without their "support", especially since the route to him isn't through anything they control but through the thieves guild....

Cazero
2019-06-28, 06:37 AM
Fact is, if you decided your goal was "assassinate Sarevok," rather than "expose Sarevok's scheme to the Grand Dukes and stop him from seizing total power in Baldur's Gate," you were ignoring everything the game actually told you beyond "your enemy will be at the Ducal Palace."
The fact remains that killing Sarevok to stop his evil scheme is still an option, even without any dukes to clear your name afterwards.

Same reason he tried to kill you since the start of the game : the simple fact you are a Bhaalspawn makes you a thorn in his side and he wants you dead. Eventualy he'll realise that none of his mooks are up to the task of killing you and will be forced to take matters in his own hands.

Kish
2019-06-28, 08:11 AM
He can't seize total power in Baldur's Gate if he's dead, can he now?

The "support" of the grand dukes is more moral support than practical, they sit in their manors thinking good thoughts about you and your activities. You could just as easily have chased Sarevok down without their "support", especially since the route to him isn't through anything they control but through the thieves guild....
And how exactly do you imagine you find that out? Since (in your and Cazero's assertions) the Grand Dukes don't do anything relevant.

Same reason he tried to kill you since the start of the game : the simple fact you are a Bhaalspawn makes you a thorn in his side and he wants you dead. Eventualy he'll realise that none of his mooks are up to the task of killing you and will be forced to take matters in his own hands.
Pfft, seriously? If you're determined to assert your right to make up your own plot, you'll get less pushback if you don't try to impose it in place of something that already has a strong plot...

...actually, I just realized, you (and now GloatingSwine) are arguing for actively ignoring all the non-combat parts of Chapter Seven. The game is unambiguous: You need to go to the Ducal Palace, to stop Sarevok from assassinating the two remaining Grand Dukes and to reveal his scheme to them (which does require them being alive). You're brushing all the reasoning aside in favor of "go where I'm led and kill what has red circles," followed by shock and outrage that that was inadequate. At which point, we can agree on one thing: it would be better for you not to play with a DM who sets up anything like the Baldur's Gate plot.

Keltest
2019-06-28, 09:55 AM
The fact remains that killing Sarevok to stop his evil scheme is still an option, even without any dukes to clear your name afterwards.

What you seem to be missing is that by the time you get to the Ducal Palace, Sarevok is not actually an active part of the problem anymore. Without the other dukes, his plan is already in motion and killing him wont actually stop the impending war with Amn. While it would be personally satisfying to kill him, if the Dukes are dead you have already lost.

bluntpencil
2019-06-28, 09:59 AM
I never thought saving the Dukes was that hard.

Besides, if they die they can get Raised, most likely.

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 10:01 AM
Right, but explain how being dead does not impede Sarevok's plan.

CHARNAME might care about the stability of Baldur's Gate and thus preserving the Grand Dukes, but they equally might only care about avenging their dead stepfather and following the urge to conflict in their Bhaalspawn blood.

It's quite possible they can arrive at the palace fully willing to allow the government of the city to perish as long as they take Sarevok, who is present, down.

But a magic railroading DM not only says no but instantly kills the party if they don't play the one true way.

That's a straight PHB-to-the-face offence, corner first for the aggravated rocks fall everyone dies.

Keltest
2019-06-28, 10:41 AM

CHARNAME might care about the stability of Baldur's Gate and thus preserving the Grand Dukes, but they equally might only care about avenging their dead stepfather and following the urge to conflict in their Bhaalspawn blood.

It's quite possible they can arrive at the palace fully willing to allow the government of the city to perish as long as they take Sarevok, who is present, down.

But a magic railroading DM not only says no but instantly kills the party if they don't play the one true way.

That's a straight PHB-to-the-face offence, corner first for the aggravated rocks fall everyone dies.

Because Charname doesn't want to be held responsible for a bunch of murders they didn't commit and chased up and down the sword coast by the Flaming Fist and the Iron Throne.

At some point, the players need to buy into the idea that their characters have an iota of concern about the plot. If somebody threw a PHB at me for expecting that, i'd throw the DM guide right back at them, and then kick them out of my house for assaulting me without cause.

Yora
2019-06-28, 10:50 AM
I completed the game six times, and somehow I have no clue what this is all about.

LibraryOgre
2019-06-28, 11:18 AM
I completed the game six times, and somehow I have no clue what this is all about.

It's a fairly brief scene; you get back to Baldur's Gate from Candlekeep, get whisked to the Ducal Palace with a fake invitation, give your evidence against Sarevok, and then the dopplegangers show up.

I gotta agree with Keltest, here... Sarevok's position as sole grand duke of Baldur's Gate significantly changes the game, and obviates his need to flee to the temple of Bhaal.

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 11:34 AM
Because Charname doesn't want to be held responsible for a bunch of murders they didn't commit and chased up and down the sword coast by the Flaming Fist and the Iron Throne.

At some point, the players need to buy into the idea that their characters have an iota of concern about the plot. If somebody threw a PHB at me for expecting that, i'd throw the DM guide right back at them, and then kick them out of my house for assaulting me without cause.

Again though, some versions of Charname might not actually care whether they're blamed for a lot of murders they didn't commit alongside the lots of murders they actually did commit.

Bear in mind that one of the possible interpretations of the character is that they find out they're a scion of the actual God of Murder and rather like the idea.

The players might buy into a different part of the plot than the GM anticipated, and the Baldur's Gate solution of instant death if they do it wrong is epically poor GMing.

Kish
2019-06-28, 11:41 AM
Sure...as soon as you address the fact that there is no actually possible way for the Ducal Palace fight to end with him dead. If you save the dukes and show them the evidence like the whole chapter points you toward, Winski teleports him out. If you go in thinking "screw all this evidence crap, I just need to hit Sarevok as hard as I can," your character winds up dead from stupidity. You can complain about the cosmetic implementation of "you're now in a walking dead state, Flame Strike," but that's what it is--cosmetic implementation of the fact that your character has just stupidly guaranteed they cannot win and the designers chose to take you straight to the Game Over screen in that case--and so that's functionally identical to complaining about Arkanis Gath in BG2.

And if Dukes Belt and Lia die, the person in charge of arranging resurrections for the dead Dukes would probably be the surviving Duke. How he's going to keep postponing that after you're dead...is a matter you won't be around to worry about.

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 12:01 PM
Sure...as soon as you address the fact that there is no actually possible way for the Ducal Palace fight to end with him dead. If you save the dukes and show them the evidence like the whole chapter points you toward, Winski teleports him out. If you go in thinking "screw all this evidence crap, I just need to hit Sarevok as hard as I can," your character winds up dead from stupidity. You can complain about the cosmetic implementation of "you're now in a walking dead state, Flame Strike," but that's what it is--cosmetic implementation of the fact that your character has just stupidly guaranteed they cannot win and the designers chose to take you straight to the Game Over screen in that case--and so that's functionally identical to complaining about Arkanis Gath in BG2.

And if Dukes Belt and Lia die, the person in charge of arranging resurrections for the dead Dukes would probably be the surviving Duke. How he's going to keep postponing that after you're dead...is a matter you won't be around to worry about.

Yeah, but the point of the thread is how if you had this sort of "do it my way or game over" around a tabletop your players would revolt.

The party is expected to be able to fight Sarevok at this point in the plot, and the only reason they can't do it at the palace (when he's out of armour and away from most of his non-doppelganger minions and therefore more vulnerable) is because an NPC wizard who they have never seen or heard of magically teleports him away.

It's peak railroading which would cause an absolute tableflip if you did it as a live GM.

Yora
2019-06-28, 12:32 PM
It's a fairly brief scene; you get back to Baldur's Gate from Candlekeep, get whisked to the Ducal Palace with a fake invitation, give your evidence against Sarevok, and then the dopplegangers show up.

I gotta agree with Keltest, here... Sarevok's position as sole grand duke of Baldur's Gate significantly changes the game, and obviates his need to flee to the temple of Bhaal.

It's a bit excessively moustache twirling. But then, just take a look at how the guy is dressed. It's not like he isn't a cartoony supervillain to begin with.

Keltest
2019-06-28, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but the point of the thread is how if you had this sort of "do it my way or game over" around a tabletop your players would revolt.

The party is expected to be able to fight Sarevok at this point in the plot, and the only reason they can't do it at the palace (when he's out of armour and away from most of his non-doppelganger minions and therefore more vulnerable) is because an NPC wizard who they have never seen or heard of magically teleports him away.

It's peak railroading which would cause an absolute tableflip if you did it as a live GM.

First off, its a video game. Its railroading by definition.

Secondly, without the support of the other dukes, then youre just marching into the palace and trying to murder a more or less legitimate official of the city. Beyond the fact that Sarevok himself is still well protected, the palace defenders and the Flaming Fist will be all over you for walking out of a corpse-filled room in the palace. Theres no situation where you escape the city alive even if you do kill Sarevok

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 12:53 PM
First off, its a video game. Its railroading by definition.

Read the thread title again....

(And to be honest even for a videogame it's pretty clumsy railroading of the kind that people usually notice and complain about)

Kish
2019-06-28, 12:58 PM

The party is expected to be able to fight Sarevok at this point in the plot,

Back the hell up.

"The party is expected"--what's under the passive voice here?

"The game expects"--manifestly not, or you would have nothing to complain about.

"Whiny, entitled players expect" is the accurate version here.

Here, you suggest:

an NPC wizard who they have never seen or heard of magically teleports him away.

...that the villain of the entire campaign, someone who is long established to have many wizards serving him, is cheating if he gets teleported away by a wizard who hasn't specifically given you his resume before. What? How does that look valid to you even for the time it took you to compose that post?

Again--for at least the fourth time now--the game is perfectly clear. You're going to the Ducal Palace to prevent the Grand Dukes from being assassinated and to reveal Sarevok's scheme to them. If you decide, instead, "Actually, all the running around Baldur's Gate I did was only about getting the invitation so I could get a shot at him," that's your problem alone.

It's the most basic of "having a plot." The freaking out you're doing about it would make me happy to have a player who took the same attitude out of my game forever, as a live DM.

GloatingSwine
2019-06-28, 01:33 PM
Back the hell up.

"The party is expected"--what's under the passive voice here?

There’s nothing under it. It’s a strict mechanical assessment of the campaign design. The party is in the exact same state it is going to be in for the final boss fight.

This is expected to be a party capable of engaging the big bad and winning.

...that the villain of the entire campaign, someone who is long established to have many wizards serving him, is cheating if he gets teleported away by a wizard who hasn't specifically given you his resume before. What? How does that look valid to you even for the time it took you to compose that post?

Go and peruse some of the old railroad threads in the RPG section. The Big Bad escaping a confrontation through a heretofore unknown capability without giving the players a chance to act meaningfully to stop them is one of the more common acts of a GM in panic mode because their campaign tried to go somewhere they didn’t want.

Again--for at least the fourth time now--the game is perfectly clear. You're going to the Ducal Palace to prevent the Grand Dukes from being assassinated and to reveal Sarevok's scheme to them. If you decide, instead, "Actually, all the running around Baldur's Gate I did was only about getting the invitation so I could get a shot at him," that's your problem alone.

It's the most basic of "having a plot." The freaking out you're doing about it would make me happy to have a player who took the same attitude out of my game forever, as a live DM.

And again, it’s a contrived reason not to allow the players to have the confrontation with the big bad on their own terms because you thought of a cool underground temple you want to have it in and if they don’t want to play along then you’ll kill all their characters and they can do it your way next time.

Anteros
2019-06-28, 01:36 PM
In general, all video game plots would be unacceptable in a pen and paper setting. Having someone who can change the story on the fly is going to give you more options for the ways the story can go. This is so obvious that I don't really understand why anyone would make a thread about it.

I also don't understand why people are being so rude to each other over such silly disagreements either.

Cazero
2019-06-29, 01:43 AM
If I'm denied the chance to stop said teleportation in any way (Counterspell, Dimensional Anchor, killing him instantly, ganking the wizard first...)? Yes, he's cheating.

Cikomyr
2019-06-29, 06:19 AM
In general, all video game plots would be unacceptable in a pen and paper setting. Having someone who can change the story on the fly is going to give you more options for the ways the story can go. This is so obvious that I don't really understand why anyone would make a thread about it.

I also don't understand why people are being so rude to each other over such silly disagreements either.

This.

Guys, you are arguing over the finale act of a long video game plot. If Baldur's Gate was PnP, any party who wouldnt play the final encounter as written would have broken the plot a long, long time ago.

Chronos
2019-06-29, 07:16 AM
What's all this about Sarevok being the sole remaining duke? You don't get to be a duke just because other dukes said they were making you a duke. You're a duke when everyone recognizes that you're a duke. By this point, Sarevok has already pretty much admitted to all of the most important people in the city that he killed Entar, tried to kill what's-his-name the other duke, infiltrated all of the merchant houses with doppelgangers to manufacture a war with no purpose other than mass murder, personally caused all of the problems that he's pretending to solve, and is now trying to kill Belt and Liia. Is there really anyone at all in the city who's Lawful Stupid enough to say "Well, yes, but he is the legitimate duke because we said so, and no take-backs"?

Keltest
2019-06-29, 07:59 AM
What's all this about Sarevok being the sole remaining duke? You don't get to be a duke just because other dukes said they were making you a duke. You're a duke when everyone recognizes that you're a duke. By this point, Sarevok has already pretty much admitted to all of the most important people in the city that he killed Entar, tried to kill what's-his-name the other duke, infiltrated all of the merchant houses with doppelgangers to manufacture a war with no purpose other than mass murder, personally caused all of the problems that he's pretending to solve, and is now trying to kill Belt and Liia. Is there really anyone at all in the city who's Lawful Stupid enough to say "Well, yes, but he is the legitimate duke because we said so, and no take-backs"?

The only people who know all of that are in the room with him at the time. That's kind of the point of killing them.

Chronos
2019-06-29, 08:39 AM
Who are also the only people who know that he was made a duke in the first place. And most of them fled once the killing started.

Keltest
2019-06-29, 08:56 AM
Who are also the only people who know that he was made a duke in the first place. And most of them fled once the killing started.

You need to talk to more random people then. Sarevok becoming a new duke is public news. That is, in fact, part of how you figure out he would be at the palace in the first place.

Cikomyr
2019-06-29, 09:10 AM
You need to talk to more random people then. Sarevok becoming a new duke is public news. That is, in fact, part of how you figure out he would be at the palace in the first place.

Bolded is an interesting way of formulating "you need to get out more" XD

Kish
2019-06-29, 09:14 AM
By this point, Sarevok has already pretty much admitted to all of the most important people in the city that he killed Entar, tried to kill what's-his-name the other duke, infiltrated all of the merchant houses with doppelgangers to manufacture a war with no purpose other than mass murder, personally caused all of the problems that he's pretending to solve, and is now trying to kill Belt and Liia.
I'm sorry, what's this game you're playing? 'Cause it's sure not Baldur's Gate.

If the dukes die and you were scrupulously attacking only the doppelgangers, you could give your evidence to the highest-ranked person in authority who isn't Grand Duke Sarevok. That...would be Angelo. How's it go if you try to reason with the Flaming Fist at any point? That is actually something you can try in the game as it stands, so no complaints about "you lost" getting abbreviated to a Flame Strike here.

If you attack Sarevok, then the version of events Sarevok gives--which will be supported by any surviving guards because it happens to be observably true--is that the doppelgangers unmasked and attacked two Dukes, and you appeared and attacked the other one. If you think that's going to go well for you, that's some pretty high-grade wishful thinking.

TheStranger
2019-06-29, 11:23 AM
If the dukes die and you were scrupulously attacking only the doppelgangers, you could give your evidence to the highest-ranked person in authority who isn't Grand Duke Sarevok. That...would be Angelo. How's it go if you try to reason with the Flaming Fist at any point? That is actually something you can try in the game as it stands, so no complaints about "you lost" getting abbreviated to a Flame Strike here.

If you attack Sarevok, then the version of events Sarevok gives--which will be supported by any surviving guards because it happens to be observably true--is that the doppelgangers unmasked and attacked two Dukes, and you appeared and attacked the other one. If you think that's going to go well for you, that's some pretty high-grade wishful thinking.

I've been watching this thread, and I think this is the best explanation I've seen. By the time of the ducal palace fight, Sarevok has succeeded in his attempt to gain legitimate power in Baldur's Gate. There are certainly some people who suspect something fishy is going on, but everybody in town knows he's being invested as a Grand Duke. If the other Dukes die, Sarevok is undeniably the highest authority in the city, and most of the other important positions are held by his lackeys.

Now, in a PnP campaign, that's not necessarily game over. A good DM could plan for this, and you could try to escape the palace in the confusion after the two Dukes die. Then you could organize a resistance with some of the Flaming Fist officers who see that something fishy is going on, or work with the Thieves' Guild to assassinate Sarevok, or something. Or you could try to gank Sarevok during the ducal palace fight, although there's no particular reason for him to fight it out with you instead of withdrawing and ordering the guards to defend him from the person who's trying to to kill the last surviving Grand Duke, so you might end up getting TPK'd by overwhelming force anyway.

So it's not necessarily a game over in a PnP campaign, but it requires a degree of DM adaptability that nobody should really suspect from a CRPG. I agree with the premise that it's probably too railroady for a PnP campaign, but for a CRPG it's understandable.

That doesn't mean it's brilliant game design, though. I don't know anybody who really loves fights/missions where failure to defend a suicidal NPC is a game over. The plot would have worked just as well if the Dukes retreated from the fight and returned for a cutscene after you finished killing the dopplegangers.

Keltest
2019-06-29, 11:30 AM
I've been watching this thread, and I think this is the best explanation I've seen. By the time of the ducal palace fight, Sarevok has succeeded in his attempt to gain legitimate power in Baldur's Gate. There are certainly some people who suspect something fishy is going on, but everybody in town knows he's being invested as a Grand Duke. If the other Dukes die, Sarevok is undeniably the highest authority in the city, and most of the other important positions are held by his lackeys.

Now, in a PnP campaign, that's not necessarily game over. A good DM could plan for this, and you could try to escape the palace in the confusion after the two Dukes die. Then you could organize a resistance with some of the Flaming Fist officers who see that something fishy is going on, or work with the Thieves' Guild to assassinate Sarevok, or something. Or you could try to gank Sarevok during the ducal palace fight, although there's no particular reason for him to fight it out with you instead of withdrawing and ordering the guards to defend him from the person who's trying to to kill the last surviving Grand Duke, so you might end up getting TPK'd by overwhelming force anyway.

So it's not necessarily a game over in a PnP campaign, but it requires a degree of DM adaptability that nobody should really suspect from a CRPG. I agree with the premise that it's probably too railroady for a PnP campaign, but for a CRPG it's understandable.

That doesn't mean it's brilliant game design, though. I don't know anybody who really loves fights/missions where failure to defend a suicidal NPC is a game over. The plot would have worked just as well if the Dukes retreated from the fight and returned for a cutscene after you finished killing the dopplegangers.

If the dukes can just retreat like that, it makes Sarevok look incompetent for failing to actually corner them in a meaningful way. The dukes need to be in legitimate danger, and you need to be important to getting them out of it.

Chronos
2019-06-29, 01:40 PM
There are a lot of rumors going around that he's going to become a duke, with most of the people approving of that, but it isn't made official until the same cutscene where you present your evidence and he goes "So what, I'll kill you all!". Lots of important folks are at that meeting, most of them aren't Saverok's lackeys, and most of them flee before they get killed. So you'll have a lot of heads of houses and executives of merchant companies and minor nobles and officers of the Fist and so on who are opposing him, and spreading the word to any who weren't there, and to the heirs of those who were there and didn't get out fast enough.

Plus, if the other dukes do get killed, well, that's a minor inconvenience at worst. Who's going to raise them? How about you? Chances are, by that point, someone in your party is capable of Raising Dead. And if not, there's at least what, half a dozen clerics in the city capable of it. Let Belt and Liia die if they insist, finish off Sarevok, disrupt and kill Winski, too, when he shows up, and then drag their bodies over to the Temple of Helm or wherever yourself. That'd be a lot easier than the actual final battle, if the game allowed you to even attempt it.

Kish
2019-06-29, 01:55 PM
Again, and more vehemently than before, what game are you talking about?

1) "We have tallied the votes...the results were nearly unanimous!"
2) It is flatly impossible that anyone in your party can cast Raise Dead, because you can't reach level 9 as a cleric under the XP cap.
3) If you let the dukes die, then all anyone who ran out is going to tell "everyone" is that the accused murderers of the Iron Throne leaders showed up when the doppelgangers attacked. Guess who they're going to be saying obviously was there to kill the dukes. Hint: It ain't Sarevok. Slaughtering everyone trying to stop you from carrying off the bodies, all the way over to a temple where the priests would also either attack you on sight or flee for abundantly obvious reasons, would not be "easier than the final battle." You can pretty well simulate a small part of the effect as it is, by dropping your Reputation to 1, and I've never heard of anyone surviving that for very long.

Winthur
2019-06-29, 03:04 PM
Why doesn't Yaga-Shura, the biggest of the Bhaalspawn, just eat the other five?

Maryring
2019-06-29, 03:38 PM
Is he bigger than Abazigal?

Winthur
2019-06-29, 05:17 PM
Why doesn't Abazigal, the biggest of the Bhaalspawn, just eat the other five?

Inarius
2019-06-29, 08:53 PM
Why doesn't Abazigal, the biggest of the Bhaalspawn, just eat the other five?

Indigestion, you ever tried eating Fire Giant before? Monks are just as bad, all that punching and kicking makes em really stringy and tough to chew.

On track though, yeah the setup wouldn't be handled like that in PnP, but its a crpg and the game has fail states since save/reload is a thing. The fight itself isn't that bad once you realize the order of events and that's pretty much the standard for tough fights in BG1. The first mage fight outside the Inn starts with mirror image then horror. Counter either of those and you win easy, but the first attempt going in cold will usually be a wipe.

Chronos
2019-07-01, 09:05 AM
Right, like I said, he wasn't officially made a duke until that meeting. Which, again, is the same meeting with your convincing evidence and Sarevok's response to it. And we know that your evidence and Sarevok's response to it is convincing, because Belt and Liia are, in fact, convinced, enough so that when the fighting starts, they attack Sarevok, not you. And right after Belt and Liia take your side in the battle is when the nobles flee.

And the expansions (which you get automatically, if you buy it nowadays) raise the XP cap. I'd forgotten that it was lower in the original game. Still, the clerics of the city temples still give you the time of day while the Flaming Fist is hunting you; it strains disbelief that if you came in with the bodies of the Dukes and a pile of gold and said "Raise them" that they would attack you before you got a chance to finish your sentence. Because raising the dead Dukes is probably what they'd do anyway.

Kish
2019-07-01, 09:22 AM
So...if you save the dukes from being killed and give them the evidence, Sarevok has to retreat. What are you under the impression the thread's complaining about again? 'Cause it's sounding like you need to reread the thread-starting post.

I was talking about the TotSC XP cap. 161,000 XP: a level 8 cleric. None of your party members can ever cast Raise Dead or any similar resurrection spell in BG1 with or without the expansion.

And again, you're saying that you should be able to go into the palace, mindlessly attack the doppelgangers until Belt and Liia are killed, and then grab their bodies and haul them off to the temples without facing significant opposition. We can agree that someone here is proposing a scenario that strains belief.

Chronos
2019-07-01, 10:04 AM
What if you instead mindfully attack the doppelgangers, you know, the same doppelgangers that Belt and Liia themselves are mindlessly fighting? I mean, it's not like you really have any options that don't involve fighting the doppelgangers.

Keltest
2019-07-01, 11:54 AM
What if you instead mindfully attack the doppelgangers, you know, the same doppelgangers that Belt and Liia themselves are mindlessly fighting? I mean, it's not like you really have any options that don't involve fighting the doppelgangers.

Ok, so you march into the palace, theres a bloodbath, the old dukes are dead, the new duke has fled, youre hauling their bodies out into the streets, and Sarevok's minions still control the law enforcement.

Where is the part of this plan that looks good?

Kish
2019-07-01, 12:01 PM
What if you engage with something I say in a way other than trying to correct me with inaccurate information?

If you effectively fight the doppelgangers to protect the dukes, instead of just going "red circles, whack until they're gone!"...then it's actually really easy to protect Belt and Liia. Just dispelling the Haste on the doppelgangers makes them a whole lot less dangerous. And once again, that's going along with the plot of the game, and this thread's about complaining that it's not amenable to just treating the dukes as meaningless scenery NPCs.

GloatingSwine
2019-07-01, 12:37 PM
Ok, so you march into the palace, theres a bloodbath, the old dukes are dead, the new duke has fled, youre hauling their bodies out into the streets, and Sarevok's minions still control the law enforcement.

Where is the part of this plan that looks good?

And if you're the GM and that's the situation your party's in, you'd need to make sure the adventure copes with it instead of having a level 6 wizard show up and instantly kill them with a Priest spell because they did it wrong.

Keltest
2019-07-01, 12:44 PM
And if you're the GM and that's the situation your party's in, you'd need to make sure the adventure copes with it instead of having a level 6 wizard show up and instantly kill them with a Priest spell because they did it wrong.

At that point, its basically game over anyway. Theyre looking at a TPK, because they aren't powerful enough to fight off a full mobilization of the Flaming Fist, plus any other patriots Sarevok's lackeys could round up in a short time. Having the wizard teleport in is just to enforce a convention for digital games that players shouldn't be carrying on in a game where its impossible to win.

In P&P the party could theoretically go "ok, we lose, now what?" and try to get out of the city somehow, but since that's not feasible in a digital game, it just cuts to the chase and forces you to load a save.

Cikomyr
2019-07-01, 01:09 PM
At that point, its basically game over anyway. Theyre looking at a TPK, because they aren't powerful enough to fight off a full mobilization of the Flaming Fist, plus any other patriots Sarevok's lackeys could round up in a short time. Having the wizard teleport in is just to enforce a convention for digital games that players shouldn't be carrying on in a game where its impossible to win.

In P&P the party could theoretically go "ok, we lose, now what?" and try to get out of the city somehow, but since that's not feasible in a digital game, it just cuts to the chase and forces you to load a save.

That's what I like most a out PnP campaigns. You can deal with consequences of failure, and it can be actually fun.

Video game, you just reload