PDA

View Full Version : Increasing fly speed

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-06-19, 11:00 AM
I'm looking for ways to increase the speed of the fly spell. I've considered haste already. Is there any others?

Venger
2019-06-19, 11:19 AM
There's a couple. Check the list of stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454553) under speed increases (flying)

Thurbane
2019-06-19, 05:22 PM
Paragnostic Apostle (CC p.94) can get an ability called Spatial Awareness that boosts the speed granted by spells by +10 feet.

RNightstalker
2019-06-19, 05:28 PM
Phoenix Cloak lets you fly w/ perfect maneuverability at your land speed, and there are a lot more ways to increase that. Footsteps of the Divine can give you an unnamed bonus to speed, and Rapid Wrath is a magic weapon that doubles your speed while not needing to be wielded to do so.

MisterKaws
2019-06-19, 05:45 PM
For long-range travel, Wind Walk and Cloud Chariot might be better, but at that level you might as well use Teleport, unless you're on the very rare cases where you actually need to fly around (I.e: searching for an item that can't be located by Divinations).

ericgrau
2019-06-19, 09:29 PM
From spell compendium:

Cloud wings (druid 2), gives a +30' untyped bonus to fly speed for 1 hour/level. So you can keep it up all day.
Flight of the dragon is a 4th level sor/wiz spell with a 100' fly speed, though it's average maneuverability (bird-like, no hover) and personal only. It lasts 10 min/level.
Wings of air (druid 2, sor/wiz 2) could improve flight of the dragon or overland flight to good maneuverability (yes hover). It only lasts a minute per level so you may want to quicken or extend it.
Swift fly is nice to get to your fly faster. So if you have a 24 hour cloud wings and the party is hasted you can blow your swift action to suddenly hop 120' away while moving around obstacles, and still cast something else.

Boots of speed can get you your haste faster, as a free action.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-06-20, 01:04 AM
Aerial Avenger prestige class. See if you can talk your DM into condensing it into a 5 level. Or a 3 level. Maybe even a 2 level. Not that it's impossible to make the class work as-is...

Khedrac
2019-06-20, 05:17 AM
Heart of Air is an hour/level spell that gives a 10' enhancement bonus to any fly speed you have. It's one worth casting for other reasons so this s a nice extra boost from it (though it won't strack with haste).

Darrin
2019-06-20, 07:03 AM
Dragon #308 has a spell called fly like an arrow. It increases your fly speed by x10, but you have to fly in a straight line. Lasts 1 hour/CL, though.

A post with a good list of speed-related boosts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15535646&postcount=34).

Note that if a dragon's fly speed is 155' or more, they can break the sound barrier (6760 feet per round at sea level, dry air, room temperature) by running (x4 speed) with fly like an arrow (x10).

Dimers
2019-06-20, 06:49 PM
With a specialty holy symbol of Fharlagn from Complete Champion, you can get a small increase to any spell that creates a movement speed. Any caster can potentially use it, not only clerics of Fharlagn.

Crichton
2019-06-20, 07:27 PM
Dragon #308 has a spell called fly like an arrow. It increases your fly speed by x10, but you have to fly in a straight line. Lasts 1 hour/CL, though.

Fly Like an Arrow is a wonderful spell, but it should be noted that it (and all other spells in that section of that issue of Dragon) has as a prerequisite a feat -Dragon Magic- and you can't cast it unless you have said feat.

Though perhaps you could get a magic item of it? A wand, or x/day wondrous, or even continuous item? It's a 4th level spell, so it wouldn't be super cheap. 56,000 gold for a continuous item, by the normal formula.

Ramza00
2019-06-20, 08:41 PM
From spell compendium:

Cloud wings (druid 2), gives a +30' untyped bonus to fly speed for 1 hour/level. So you can keep it up all day.
Swift fly is nice to get to your fly faster. So if you have a 24 hour cloud wings and the party is hasted you can blow your swift action to suddenly hop 120' away while moving around obstacles, and still cast something else.

Boots of speed can get you your haste faster, as a free action.

Races of the Dragon 1st level Sorcerer Only Spell "Wings of Swift Flying" boosts your existing magical flight speed much like cloud wings does. Giving you a 30' untyped bonus to fly speed for 1 hour / level, or if you are a dragonborn a +40' fly speed. Since the spells are different they should stack. Yes Sorcerer only stinks, but that is what a custom magic item is for have someone make it at Spell Level 1* Caster Level 8*1800* 1 / 5 (how many times per day and you have a Command Word item that works for 8 hours and it gives you this flight bonus for 9,000 GP market price guidelines(cheaper if you craft it.) And if its Use-activated or continuous the cost is only 1 Spell Level * Caster Level 1 * 2000 * 1 (For spells measured per hour per level) for a total of 2,000 GP market price guidelines.

Flight of the dragon is a 4th level sor/wiz spell with a 100' fly speed, though it's average maneuverability (bird-like, no hover) and personal only. It lasts 10 min/level.

So you already listed the newer version of the spell, and newer versions should trump older versions.

But see if your DM will allow the Draconomicon version of Flight of the Dragon as a separate spell. Spell Compendium is 4th level and 10 mins / level, and Draconomicon is the same spell but at 5th level and 1 hour per level. Then again your DM may say no for Overland Flight is already 5th level and you are getting a 60 feet bonus to your speed at no cost, but hey your DM may be up for it. :smalltongue:

Darrin
2019-06-20, 08:58 PM
Fly Like an Arrow is a wonderful spell, but it should be noted that it (and all other spells in that section of that issue of Dragon) has as a prerequisite a feat -Dragon Magic- and you can't cast it unless you have said feat.

Dragons automatically gain the Dragon Magic feat just by being dragons. Which means you might be able to get the feat via polymorph, essence of the dragon, or other shenanigans. I'd also allow the dragonblood subtype to count, as the Dragon Magic feat looks like an early version of that.

Crichton
2019-06-20, 09:12 PM
Dragons automatically gain the Dragon Magic feat just by being dragons. Which means you might be able to get the feat via polymorph, essence of the dragon, or other shenanigans. I'd also allow the dragonblood subtype to count, as the Dragon Magic feat looks like an early version of that.

Indeed, there may be ways around it, with a permissive DM, and I think allowing dragonbloods to use it would be a fair houserule, indeed.

I'm not sure of the RAW of polymorph or essence of the dragon, though. I don't think you get racial bonus feats by using those, but I'm not entirely sure, with this being an odd case where the feat itself is where it says dragons get it for free.