PDA

View Full Version : Further single class MD choices

ZorroGames
2019-06-19, 11:18 AM
Okay, when the new AL season starts I will be going Mountain Dwarf Fighter. So...

Now thinking about stats/subclass choices.

Started with:

ST 9+2=17
DE 7=14 (I like the Armored archer backup potential) *
CO 9+2=17
IN 0=8 *
WI 2=10
CH 0=8

Background Urban Bounty Hunter

* switch if Eldritch Knight

Toying with EK but thinking Champion most likely. KISS.

Comments on subclasses requested.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-19, 11:22 AM
Okay, when the new AL season starts I will be going Mountain Dwarf Fighter. So...

Now thinking about stats/subclass choices.

Started with:

ST 9+2=17
DE 7=14 (I like the Armored archer backup potential) *
CO 9+2=17
IN 0=8 *
WI 2=10
CH 0=8

Background Urban Bounty Hunter

* switch if Eldritch Knight

Toying with EK but thinking Champion most likely. KISS.

Comments on subclasses requested.

The Eldritch Knight is very popular in AL, due to how tanky it can become in a pinch. The Champion's damage has always been considered a bit...subpar, but it gets a lot better if you're able to get Advantage on your attacks somehow.

Normal Crit Chance: 5%
Champion Crit Chance: 10%

Normal Crit Chance with Advantage: 9.75%
Champion Crit Chance with Advantage: 19%

Advantage very nearly doubles your crit chance, which is a big deal when you already have doubled the normal crit chance.

RulesJD
2019-06-19, 11:40 AM
Pure combat mechanics - Battlemaster. Combo with GWM + Precision + Disarming + Tripping.

But, given that Avernus is likely to involve devils/demons/angels, go with EK and take Protection from Good/Evil. That spell is likely to be MVP for next season.

ZorroGames
2019-06-19, 01:49 PM
Pure combat mechanics - Battlemaster. Combo with GWM + Precision + Disarming + Tripping.

But, given that Avernus is likely to involve devils/demons/angels, go with EK and take Protection from Good/Evil. That spell is likely to be MVP for next season.

What is “Avernus”?

Yakmala
2019-06-19, 01:57 PM
As mentioned earlier, AL Season 9's main campaign will focus around sending the players to Avernus, the first circle of Hell.

That means devils/demons, which also likely means things with wings. Also it could mean difficult, other-worldly terrain.

So, having a way to fly, or at least a way to do good, accurate damage at range, will be super useful! I suspect Aasimar player characters will be the All-Stars of Season 9.

Of course, if your Friendly Local Game Shop is planning to focus on older season content or CCC modules, you can ignore this advice.

ZorroGames
2019-06-20, 04:36 AM
As mentioned earlier, AL Season 9's main campaign will focus around sending the players to Avernus, the first circle of Hell.

That means devils/demons, which also likely means things with wings. Also it could mean difficult, other-worldly terrain.

So, having a way to fly, or at least a way to do good, accurate damage at range, will be super useful! I suspect Aasimar player characters will be the All-Stars of Season 9.

Of course, if your Friendly Local Game Shop is planning to focus on older season content or CCC modules, you can ignore this advice.

Yeah, no... Really not appealing to me personally. 🤮

This might, coupled with move across to opposite side of county, be the time to try a non-AL gaming effort. And/or try my hand at a third world creation jaunt. Or just emphasize the miniatures war gaming. Yep, really not appealing.

RulesJD
2019-06-20, 09:11 AM
Yeah, no... Really not appealing to me personally. 🤮

This might, coupled with move across to opposite side of county, be the time to try a non-AL gaming effort. And/or try my hand at a third world creation jaunt. Or just emphasize the miniatures war gaming. Yep, really not appealing.

*shrug*

Sounds supes awesome to me.

Vogie
2019-06-20, 09:59 AM
With those mental stats, I'd probably lean towards Samurai. You gain an extra skill proficiency at 3 and if you get to 7 you'll get Res: Wis for free.

Before 5, you'd likely want to dual wield with the TWF Fighting Style, giving you 2 attacks to use the Fighting Spirit advantage on. Since AL allows you to rebuild your character prior to level 5 (unless they've changed something...?), you'd switch near the end of level 4 to your preferred fighting style, whether that be GWM/PAM or S&B (dueling/Defense). Although, you could just be a TWF so you can have 3 attacks after 5