PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can a Hound Archon take the form of a Legendary Wolf from MMII?

IraWolf
2019-06-19, 12:30 PM
In the "Making Monsters PC Viable" thread, one of the notes on Hound Archon is that "Dire Wolf is probably the best bet for Change Shape." However, what I was thinking about as I looked over the MMII from 3e is that the Legendary Wolf has what seem to me to be much better stats than the Dire Wolf, and just generally more significant things about it that make it a better choice than Dire Wolf. Reading the description of the Change Shape ability, it says "For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type." By the description, it would seem as though Legendary Wolves (which ARE animals, not magical beasts or anything) would qualify for that, and would make a Legendary Wolf a superior transformation to the Dire Wolf.

Thoughts?

liquidformat
2019-06-19, 01:11 PM
Ya that is a good choice, though be sure to checkout the 3.5 eretta and be aware that some dms dislike MMII because of the massive power swings from monster to monster...

MisterKaws
2019-06-19, 01:12 PM
Sure, why not? Nothing I can see disallows it.

Though some DMs might disagree, since Legendary Animals may or may not be considered as being templated forms, and, other than given exceptions, you can't change shape/polymorph into templated creatures. Those exceptions being mostly for Lycanthropes, other natural Shapechangers with hybrid forms, and any caster polymorphing into themselves.

hamishspence
2019-06-19, 02:09 PM
Legendary Creatures aren't exactly templated, any more than Dire Creatures are. Yes, there's a Dire creature template out there - but it's third party.

There's a Creature of Legend template in the same book - but that turns the creature into an Outsider, so is not relevant.

MisterKaws
2019-06-19, 02:14 PM
Legendary Creatures aren't exactly templated, any more than Dire Creatures are. Yes, there's a Dire creature template out there - but it's third party.

There's a Creature of Legend template in the same book - but that turns the creature into an Outsider, so is not relevant.

Which is why I say I personally see no problem.