PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help on a 1 shot -- Luxury for Goblinkind

Xrposiedon
2019-06-19, 03:15 PM
I am going to be running a 1 shot with some friends in about 2 weeks, and needing just a bit of help.

The premise is that a bunch of goblins are suddenly curious in the habits of humankind because a recent prisoner they took in was on a walk back from the local day spa. They found out humans have mud baths at spas and really like this idea....so a group of goblins is now going to attempt to sneak into the city, and then the spa, for a night of relaxation in the mud.

What kind of challenges should they come up versus?

They are going to be level 3 characters, just to give them some class abilities in play.

MagneticKitty
2019-06-19, 04:14 PM
Are the pcs the goblins? Or like townsfolk hired to confront the goblins who have taken over the spa? First post not clear

Blood of Gaea
2019-06-19, 05:15 PM
There's should be at least one checkpoint with guards they need to bypass without raising the alarm, there should also be a roll or two to for a random encounter with a patrol.

They need to find a way to obtain the gold to enter the bath, and a way to fool the owners, or a way around needing to sneak in.

Probably make some rolls for if anyone is in the bath as well.

Xrposiedon
2019-06-20, 01:03 AM
Are the pcs the goblins? Or like townsfolk hired to confront the goblins who have taken over the spa? First post not clear

The PC's are the goblins, trying to get into this high society new spa that opened in the village. They will get to choose day or night etc, and even could choose sewers to get into the spa.

DrKerosene
2019-06-20, 02:20 AM
Obligatory guards at the towngate, asking for a toll from outsiders (anyone who can’t recite the town’s offical song).

Obligatory guard patrol with a dog companion, or mounted guards in the wealthy districts.

Avoiding a group of street urchins playing “hide and go seek” where the goblins happen to be, or want to go.

Drunk people are in the middle of carousing. Maybe they have buckets on their heads, maybe they’re stealing a goat, or running from the town guards.

Crossing back-alley (or sewer) paths with a disguised Orc Red Fang who is on their way to assassinate someone (or leaving afterwards).

Some cultists are smuggling something into or out of the building nearby to the goblins. Maybe it’s a fiend that’s not yet agreeable, or a pre-sacrifice.

Party comes across an alchemist who is doing some Breaking Bad stuff with clearly criminal (and paranoid) suppliers.

Lost cat in a nearby tree, or on a hot tin roof, draws attention to it’s location.

Spooked horses and a run-away carriage barrels down the street, trampling a number of pedestrials and maybe a goblin or two.

A bar-brawl spills out onto the street, soldiers on leave and some rough outlander types. Or maybe two different craft-guilds fighting over who has the rights to making something (like putting spikes on shields).

Perhaps arcane pollution from an “up and coming” wizard results in a weird ooze, or para-elemental, that is hungry for goblin meat, being found in a weird pile of garbage.

A shipment of booze and cash is clearly left unattended for periods of time, as one of the cart-drivers is sick, leaving the other one to make all the deliveries.

Frozenstep
2019-06-20, 01:39 PM
Obligatory Two goblins in a trenchcoat (warning tv tropes link) (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TotemPoleTrench).

Honest Tiefling
2019-06-20, 01:46 PM
Here's some ideas that aren't fully fleshed out:

There are rich patrons at the spa, bereft of their clothes, including whatever is in their pockets. What's better than a mud bath? A mud bath AND some loot.
They need to navigate a town they have never been to before, so finding the spa might be a problem in of itself.
The spa is for the rich only, commoners need not even get within eyesight. Going in as a group of three goblins stacked on each other underneath a trench coat is going to require faking being rich.
The spa is actually a front for something more sinister, such as a criminal enterprise.
Lady von Goblinkicker, known defender against goblin raids to the pinkskins and known slayer of many a goblin to the greenskins is there. Presumably, the goblins will do something about this. (Through given that they are PCs, someone is probably going to try to seduce her, just keep that in mind.)
Someone is discussing defense tactics. Getting closer to overhear the weaknesses of the defense of the town might not be a bad idea.
I think it highly likely that someone will try to break into the kitchen to steal all of the food and maybe steal some fancy wine for later. Would there be any enchantments or magic within the kitchen that might accidentally get set off?

Xrposiedon
2019-06-21, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

So far I have 3 ways they could get into the city

1. Front Gate (Requires deception checks or bribery) and maybe some illusions (they are starting at lvl 3...and I made them aware to choose spells not always geared for combat since they have to get into the place first)

2. Wall Scaling (its not a huge city, its just a wooden post wall around the town, only about 1/4 mile long and 15 feet tall.

3. Sewers (Which would have some sort of sewer encounter I can use the dwarven forge stuff for)

Next up, we have the establishment itself. It really is a Spa, and it is brand new. They are treating everyone like royalty as a new customer, so they aren't actually being too picky letting people in if you have coin. So there are multiple ways to get in.

1. Front desk ...low dc deception check and paying would get them right in. (But no one ever does the obvious method)
2. Windows (all first floor windows are locked), 2nd floor windows do have balconies...and some are open.
3. Sneaking in outside of business hours. Front and Side door both locked. DC 14 lockpicking to open, or 20 damage to break it down.

Lastly Encounters and events that could happen. I went ahead and made a list of things that could happen and things to avoid for each area.

Before they arrive at the town walls
At the Town walls / gates / Sewers
Inside the Town on the way to the Spa
Inside the Spa (Both During Business Hours and After)

Let me know if you think I missed anything to be prepped for. I also have a list of NPC names I keep handy just in case they wish to go ask someone for help or do what parties do and go completely off the rails and do something unexpected.

Honest Tiefling
2019-06-21, 07:18 PM
There are additional methods of entering the city I think you need to have at least some bare bones preparation for:

Firstly, going OVER the walls of the city. Are they likely to survive this? No. Are they likely to attempt this? They are PCs. Of course they will.
And secondly, fire. Never, ever, ever, doubt a player character's ability or inclination to use fire. If the wall is wood they could attempt to burn a part of it and scale the other bit.
And third, sneaking onto a cart. With a smaller weight they could try to cling to the underside of them, or just run into a hay cart because the classics are classic for a reason!

As for actually getting in the building itself, a spa would likely have some chimneys. How likely are your PCs to try to enter in this way after hours? What activity is present after hours? (The servants are likely cleaning things up after opening hours, after all).

And if it is a spa...What is preventing them from trying to take the sewers all the way there?

Please do not take these comments as criticism, this does sound like a very entertaining idea and please, tell us how it goes!