PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New class: Adventurer

HamsterKun
2019-06-19, 10:53 PM
I came up with this class a few months ago. The original intent of it was to have a “true” jack-of-all-trades class; something in the vein of a Dragon Quest protagonist. I tried my best to make it balanced across the SRD classes.

The class: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-fdADCWEVNYjk0RpFDwkAnxm9vjymy9Nu0yN-dFxczw

Adventurer Archetypes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/113yU-i6vrL-VFDh0yr-8BBA6kBpdCTKoqaznoWwAvg8

Also, what would be the best choices for multiclassing with this class?

theVoidWatches
2019-06-20, 09:43 AM
For saves, you're choosing between Strength and Dex (a weak save and a strong save) and then getting Charisma (a weak save). The strong saves are Dex, Con, and Wis, while the other three are weak - I'd recommend having the choice be within the same category. Alternatively, just make it Dex - you're only giving proficiency in Light Armor and the class later gets Evasion, so it's probably a dex-based class anyway.

Getting to pick off of any of three spell lists seems strong, even with how limited your selection is. I'd recommend having you choose one of the three and using only that - maybe even have your spellcasting modifier be based off of that choice.

I've now gotten to the Archetypes and see that you're essentially offering this choice to characters who want to get a little more caster. That's fine, but I still think the spell list should be restricted more.

It will multiclass well with any Cha-based spellcaster, since it also uses Cha. There would be some overlap with bard (your spell list wouldn't expand, and both classes give Jack of All Trades) but Paladin or Sorcerer would both mesh very well (Paladin would lean you a little more martial as it gives you better armor proficiencies and another fighting style, while Sorcerer would lean you more caster).

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-20, 12:48 PM
Initial Impression:

That's a lot of stuff at level 1 :O
Wait if you are using the 1/2 progression, wouldn't you gain spellcasting at level 2? But your archetypes state you get spellcasting at level 3?
Opportunistic Strike and Extra Attack at level 5? I get you want both, but wouldn't it make sense to delay the extra attack one or two levels, as many gishes do?
I feel like the archetypes do more of imitating other classes, instead of providing a cool alternative. It might have been the idea, but you should ask yourself "why play an Adventurer (Cleric) instead of playing a Cleric? Perhaps your adventurer provides something the cleric doesn't? I propose yes, and you should use all the design space you get from your archetypes to do so. For example, Turn Undead. If you remove this feature you get a ton of design space (you can add stuff without making it overpowered) for some features the cleric doesn't get but might make a cleric player to want to play your class instead.

I also feel there's a lot of specialization in here for a jack of all trades, you could probably tone it down a lot by instead sticking with a 1/2 progression martial class, and instead, have one of those "choose from a list" type class feature. You know, like invocations. This would allow minor specializations that would kinda look like small feats (gain one spell from x spell list, gain the ranger's wilderness package, gain two superiority dice etc.) but is mostly a jack of all trades class. I'm basing this of your given design goals, not personal preference.

I'll read it over better later :)

HamsterKun
2019-06-20, 01:21 PM
For saves, you're choosing between Strength and Dex (a weak save and a strong save) and then getting Charisma (a weak save). The strong saves are Dex, Con, and Wis, while the other three are weak - I'd recommend having the choice be within the same category. Alternatively, just make it Dex - you're only giving proficiency in Light Armor and the class later gets Evasion, so it's probably a dex-based class anyway.

Getting to pick off of any of three spell lists seems strong, even with how limited your selection is. I'd recommend having you choose one of the three and using only that - maybe even have your spellcasting modifier be based off of that choice.

I've now gotten to the Archetypes and see that you're essentially offering this choice to characters who want to get a little more caster. That's fine, but I still think the spell list should be restricted more.

It will multiclass well with any Cha-based spellcaster, since it also uses Cha. There would be some overlap with bard (your spell list wouldn't expand, and both classes give Jack of All Trades) but Paladin or Sorcerer would both mesh very well (Paladin would lean you a little more martial as it gives you better armor proficiencies and another fighting style, while Sorcerer would lean you more caster).

I see. Maybe I should stick with DEX and CHA save proficiencies, but then again you get True Survivor at Lv18, which makes you proficient in ALL saves.

Also, dipping 3 levels into Bard gets you Expertise, so you can double your PB for two skills of choice.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-06-21, 06:31 PM
One criticism here caught my eye: why play Adventurer (Cleric) instead of Cleric?

That’s as strong a criticism of a generalist as you’re going to find.

I’d rather have a generalist whose subclasses focus on some outgrowth of their versatile base. Maybe they transcend their form and can duplicate race or monster abilities so that’s a mimic subclass, another might be able to steal or split spell effects giving them the ability to benefit from allies’ target self spells or absorb all the damage from an AOE, so you have some magic manipulator.

Just my thoughts, I’ll try to give the class proper some more attention in a bit.

HamsterKun
2019-06-21, 08:54 PM
UPDATE, I deleted the Missionary subclass; I felt I only really needed three subclasses as per many of the other classes did (barring Wizard and Cleric).

So, you either have a more martial-based lean (Knight Errant), mobility (Scout), or spellcasting (Researcher).

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-22, 04:19 AM
the ability to benefit from allies’ target self spells

That ability is hilarious and surprisingly useful xD

"I'm not really good at all this stuff, so I try to capitalize off my friends OP-ness" is actually a pretty cool theme! It allows for a less powerful concept with just as powerful mechanics. Definitely, use that :O

Imagine a character who's only OKEY and everything, that would be like playing an Eldritch Knight with +1 in all modifiers; not all that fun. So how do you increase the power without making the character overshadow the actual wizard and fighter of the group? Have him be ally-dependant! Genius! It creates a lot of design space.