PDA

View Full Version : Official Monkey race in 5e?

Skadi
2019-06-20, 10:44 AM
Is there a monkey playable race or a monster in the lore that would be suitable for a monkey race? I see quite a few homebrew ones but was just wondering if there was something from a more official source?

RedMage125
2019-06-20, 10:51 AM
Is there a monkey playable race or a monster in the lore that would be suitable for a monkey race? I see quite a few homebrew ones but was just wondering if there was something from a more official source?

Nothing official, but you could pick a different race, such as Tabaxi, and flavor it differently. They have a Climb speed, are very fast, etc.

If you want semi-official, then DM's Guild has an Oriental Adventures book that I like a great deal. Most of it is fairly well balanced. In it, they update the Vanara race (anthropomorphic monkey people) to 5e.

Waazraath
2019-06-20, 11:32 AM
From an eldar 40k perspective: two. A normal and a variant one.

Brookshw
2019-06-20, 11:36 AM

Well played :smallbiggrin:

iTreeby
2019-06-20, 12:22 PM
The
shifter race (swiftstrider) or perhaps the simic hybrid (nimble climber and carapace could be thick fur) could both be used for a monkey like race.

GlenSmash!
2019-06-20, 12:23 PM
The shifter race (swiftstrider) or perhaps the simic hybrid (nimble climber and carapace could be thick fur) could both be used for a monkey like race.

So like a Simian Hybrid? :smallcool:

I'll see myself out.

vexedart
2019-06-20, 12:26 PM
No official player race, but ask your dm if you can play an awakened monkey. Druids have a spell called awaken that gives sentience to animals permanently. Then you can literally play a monkey.

suplee215
2019-06-20, 08:16 PM
Nope, going to need to homebrew it one way or another. The Tabaxi suggestion from earlier is pretty spot on although I'll personally change the cha bonus to something else (probably wis, maybe int or str) and replace the unarmed claw attack and super speed with other things (free skill or tool proficiency to represent how intelligent/adaptable they can be and the bugbear's long arms to add 5 foot reach to all attacks sounds good to me but I might be focusing more on apes than monkeys and I put in 5 seconds of thought to this). And yea I think this is far from a Tabaxi I began with...

Zetakya
2019-06-20, 08:24 PM
I don't think there's a 5e version of Prehensile Tail, but adapting something like it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

TyGuy
2019-06-20, 08:33 PM
Tabaxi or bugbear

Agent-KI7KO
2019-06-21, 02:52 AM
Shifter IMO.

But they’re Eberron (which means UA)

suplee215
2019-06-21, 05:56 AM
I don't think there's a 5e version of Prehensile Tail, but adapting something like it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

You can adapt the Loxodon's trunk

Bloodcloud
2019-06-21, 07:57 AM
Shifter IMO.

Actually, wayfinder's guide isn't ua at this point.

MagneticKitty
2019-06-21, 10:22 AM
Closest thing to "official" monkey race is probably plane shift ixalan's goblin. It's a 3rd party document but like licensed by wizards.
It's pirate themed and the goblins in that game look like this:
https://media.wizards.com/2018/images/daily/cardart_RIX_See-Red_LG.jpg
Second closes is probably bugbears.. theyre kinda orangutan ish.. So I'd say an offshoot of goblins is closest

Max_Killjoy
2019-06-21, 10:25 AM

That is effectively the joke I was going to make. Well played.

Segev
2019-06-21, 10:34 AM
Homebrewing one probably isn't too difficult. Races in 5e have a +2 bonus to a stat, a +1 bonus to a stat, a couple of perks, and usually a spell or spell-like or supernatural/extraordinary feature. Dragonborn are generally one of the weaker races, as their breath weapon was likely overvalued when designed. High elves and gnomes demonstrate how to use spells or spell-like abilities, and also give at least one example of an (Ex) ability to replace those.

So...

Clever Monkey
Clever monkeys are particularly intelligent specimines of the simian species. They look like any other small monkey, but have human-like intellect. ((In the viewpoints from other races sidebar, there might be a comment from an elf about human-like intellect not making it any easier to tell them apart from other monkeys.))
Clever monkeys are small creatures
Clever monkeys get +2 dexterity and +1 strength
Clever monkeys have a base movement of 20 ft., but also climb at 20 ft. and have a special brachiation speed that uses their hands (rather than their feet) to swing from handhold to handhold at a speed of 30 ft.
Clever monkeys may use a bonus action to dash when using their brachiation movement speed.
Clever monkeys' feet and tails are all prehensile, and can be used as well as their hands for grasping and manipulating objects. This does not grant them any special ability to wield extra weapons or gain extra attacks. However, using a third limb to support a Heavy weapon enables them to act as if they were Medium creatures for purposes of wielding them.
Clever monkeys speak Common.

RedMage125
2019-06-21, 11:34 AM
Nope, going to need to homebrew it one way or another. The Tabaxi suggestion from earlier is pretty spot on although I'll personally change the cha bonus to something else (probably wis, maybe int or str) and replace the unarmed claw attack and super speed with other things (free skill or tool proficiency to represent how intelligent/adaptable they can be and the bugbear's long arms to add 5 foot reach to all attacks sounds good to me but I might be focusing more on apes than monkeys and I put in 5 seconds of thought to this). And yea I think this is far from a Tabaxi I began with...
My suggestion (I was the one to suggest Tabaxi) would be to keep the speed, as monkeys are very nimble and quick.

Replace claws with something like "Prehensile Tail: The MonkianTM has a 3 foot-long, prehensile tail that can be used to hold objects, much like a third hand. This can be used to pick up an object from the ground, or off of a surface that the tail can reach. It can only grip objects, however, fine manipulation is not possible. The Monkian may not fight with a weapon held in his tail, but may transfer one object between his tail and an empty hand as a free action once per round."

I don't think there'sd anything wrong with the CHA bonus remaining, monkeys are often very sociable creatures. INT, maybe. Or WIS. But if you're going for a monkey and not an ape, I would not suggest STR (or the longer arms bit).

If you want a humanoid ape, I would just re-flavor the bugbear.

Shifter IMO.

Actually, wayfinder's guide isn't ua at this point.

Wayfinder's Guide is still playtest material, however, which means it's about as official as UA.

suplee215
2019-06-21, 06:08 PM
My suggestion (I was the one to suggest Tabaxi) would be to keep the speed, as monkeys are very nimble and quick.

Replace claws with something like "Prehensile Tail: The MonkianTM has a 3 foot-long, prehensile tail that can be used to hold objects, much like a third hand. This can be used to pick up an object from the ground, or off of a surface that the tail can reach. It can only grip objects, however, fine manipulation is not possible. The Monkian may not fight with a weapon held in his tail, but may transfer one object between his tail and an empty hand as a free action once per round."

I don't think there'sd anything wrong with the CHA bonus remaining, monkeys are often very sociable creatures. INT, maybe. Or WIS. But if you're going for a monkey and not an ape, I would not suggest STR (or the longer arms bit).

If you want a humanoid ape, I would just re-flavor the bugbear.

Yea. Thinking on it more I'll probably just take the Loxodon's trunk and and replace it with the tail. Yea Cha could work. Especially as I am now picturing a bard with an accordion

Nagog
2019-06-22, 05:58 PM
Yea. Thinking on it more I'll probably just take the Loxodon's trunk and and replace it with the tail. Yea Cha could work. Especially as I am now picturing a bard with an accordion

They could also hold cymbals, similar to those wind-up monkeys.