PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Barbarian for Dragon Heist?

GreyBlack
2019-06-20, 11:07 AM
So hear me out here.

A new group wants to run Dragon Heist for 5e. I was kinda shooting the [REDACTED] with the other players and kinda made a Leeroy Jenkins joke. At which point the gears began turning.

So I now have an idea for a Zealot Barbarian 3/Paladin 2 to start; probably start Paladin 2 to get Smite before then going into Zealot 3.

Basic plan here is to be able to run into a room shouting gibberish with a huge polearm and start calling down the wrath of... not sure who, but someone's wrath... while all the while tanking blows and blowing **** up.

This seems both suboptimal and awesome. Does anyone have any recommendations on it, other than "scrap one side or the other"?

RulesJD
2019-06-20, 11:27 AM
Mechanically, a Barbarian/Paladin is taking an already MAD class and throwing on a whole other level (since you need some Dex now as well, but need at least 13 Str to multiclass, etc).

However, a Barbadin is also stupidly OP. You're taking one of the very few weaknesses of Paladins as tanks and completely negating it via Rage resistance. You can still Smite, provide aura, etc. while raging so it makes little difference to combat besides not being able to concentrate on a spell. But you'll be taking 1/2 damage so who cares?

Mostly, you'll be relatively low stats considering you'll need at least 13 Str and 13 Cha, but only able to use Medium armor so having 14 Dex is highly recommended. You'll also need Con to not die so 14 or so there as well. Rage damage only adds to Strength based attacks so you'll probably want to rely on that as well.

Bear Totem is obviously the optimal choice, but you're Leeroy so Zealot is a close second. You'll likely have a ton of fun but be aware your stats are likely to suffer. I would recommend only going Barb 1 or Paladin 2 (depending on which class you want more of) because delaying Extra Attack is huge.

GlenSmash!
2019-06-20, 12:21 PM
Barb/Paladin works surprising well. You can spend slots to smite while raging, or for utility when not in combat.

The biggest weakness is range.

Starting with 16 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, and 14 Cha should be pretty easy to do. With Reckless Attack you could even get away with switching Strength and Charisma if you really want as Advantage will make a -1 difference to hit seem pretty negligible.

Dump Int and Wis for Leeroy Jenkins accuracy.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-20, 08:51 PM
Smite!!!!!!!!
Rage!!!!!!!!!!

Christian
2019-06-20, 10:38 PM
Mostly, you'll be relatively low stats considering you'll need at least 13 Str and 13 Cha, but only able to use Medium armor so having 14 Dex is highly recommended.

I don't see why he'd be limited to Medium armor, as long as he starts as a Paladin (as he said was the plan). The only Barbarian ability that he loses by clanking along in full plate armor is fast movement, as far as I can tell.

RulesJD
2019-06-21, 09:10 AM
I don't see why he'd be limited to Medium armor, as long as he starts as a Paladin (as he said was the plan). The only Barbarian ability that he loses by clanking along in full plate armor is fast movement, as far as I can tell.

Sadly Barbarian Rage benefits (extra damage, resistance) doesn't work in Heavy Armor.

"While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:"

Vogie
2019-06-21, 10:11 AM
You'd have to have some really good rolls, or do a point buy. Because you're a wee bit MAD, you're going to want at least 14 in Str, Dex, Con, & Charisma... I'd suggest Human, half elf or Triton, but you could use Drow, Dragonborn or Half Orc if you roll well.

As a not-spoiler, but suggestion for Dragon Heist - having a half-decent Intelligence is important. You don't want to be Grog there.

Your progression should probably be Barbarian 1/Paladin 2/ Barbarian 2-3. You'll want the CON saves if you decide to use any of the concentration spells like Bless, Divine Favor or Shield of Faith to augment your lower-than-normal number of rages per day due to multiclassing.

However, if you're starting poor, definitely start Paladin 2 / Barb 3. While it's less than ideal, you do get proficiency in Wis saves, and you'll be able to sell your chain mail and shield to buy the best medium armor your can, which will give you a decent AC alongside Defense Style.

Christian
2019-06-21, 02:47 PM
Sadly Barbarian Rage benefits (extra damage, resistance) doesn't work in Heavy Armor.

"While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:"

Dang, I missed that.

GlenSmash!
2019-06-21, 03:49 PM
Bear totem's level 3 ability works in heavy armor.

As does the zealots radiant damage.

Edit: still I'd just stick with medium armor.

djreynolds
2019-06-22, 09:31 AM
A 14 in dexterity and breastplate is fine. And I would begin paladin for wis and chr saves.

With rage and lay on hands a 12 con is just fine initially.

strength 15
dex 14
con 12
int 10
wisdom 8
charisma 13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I ran an eldritch knight barbarian and it works awesome

I ran around in full plate and recklessly attacked... but never raged. Instead I would use the shield spell for my reaction and rarely did I ever get hit.