PDA

View Full Version : Grand Tactics: My homebrew rules for combat

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-20, 04:38 PM
To keep this brief, I let my players attempt some effects to give them benefits in combat, with multiple variables. Here is one example...

Say you want to trip a medium creature, like a dwarf Barbarian. You'd need a melee weapon in hand. I rule that it's an Athletics check on your side, contested by athletics or acrobatics on the dwarf.

Is your weapon a polearm with reach, like a glaive? I give +2 to your role.

Is the foe larger than you, like a hill giant? They suffer disadvantage on their role.

Are they quadrupedal, like a wolf? -2 on your role.

Are they smaller than you, like a halfling? They get advantage.

I'm curious what other tactics you'd give, and rulings for them.

Spectrulus
2019-06-20, 05:39 PM
I've been letting my party's martials those kind of fun things once a round, as the group doesn't carry crowd control usually. It comes down to:

Once per round, when you land an attack with a melee weapon, you may roll Athletics opposed by the target's Athletics or Acrobatics check, on success you may move them back 5ft (does not provide Attack of Opportunity from you), knock them prone, or make their first martial attack next turn at disadvantage by striking their weapon.

Since the party has no real CC, it helps make the fighter more interested rather than I hit the enemy three times for 1d8+5. Let me know when it's my turn.