PDA

View Full Version : Just a hard decision

Shadowbane13
2019-06-20, 08:46 PM
My group finally hit 3rd level. Im a rogue and im trying to decide what is the best subclass to take. Ive been rogues before and typically do AT but i want to change it up a bit. I was considering either swash or scout but idk. Need help deciding.

Our party consists of:
Fighter
Wizard
Cleric
Sorcerer
Rogue (me)

So please let me know what you guys think is best. Im currently dual weilding two short swords but i do use my bow often.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-20, 08:46 PM
I like arcane trickster, but it depends on your INT.

Zetakya
2019-06-20, 08:56 PM
A lot depends on what the rest of your party is doing. You've got a lot of Arcane spellpower already going on there, with a Wizard and a Sorcerer, so I probably wouldn't go AT.

On the other hand you might be light on melee power. How front-line is your Cleric? Swashbuckler might be worth considering.

Darc_Vader
2019-06-20, 11:07 PM
Swashbuckler pairs well with two weapon fighting, since you can pseudo disengage when you attack so your bonus action isn’t needed for cunning action as often. Scout seems more tailored towards archers, since they can keep away from enemies better. Thief could bring some non-magical utility for out of combat if you want to go that way.

Personally, I would say Swashbuckler is the way to go if the Fighter is the only other character on the frontline, otherwise any of the three would be a good addition to the party.

2D8HP
2019-06-20, 11:47 PM
If your Charisma is higher than your Wisdom I'd go Swashbuckler

(Note: The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Swashbuckler may still do Sneak Attack damage using the "Rakish Audacity" class feature even when you have disadvantage on the attack roll while the Xanthar's Guide to Everything Swashbuckler may not)

If you don't have anyone in the party with the Survival skill, and your DM is using Tomb of Annihilation, than Scout looks better

Theodoxus
2019-06-21, 07:33 AM
If your Charisma is higher than your Wisdom I'd go Swashbuckler
(Note: The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Swashbuckler may still do Sneak Attack damage using the "Rakish Audacity" class feature even when you have disadvantage on the attack roll while the Xanthar's Guide to Everything Swashbuckler may not)

If you don't have anyone in the party with the Survival skill, and your DM is using Tomb of Annihilation, than Scout looks better

Eh, I think the Xanathar's emphasis on disadvantage is just that - emphasis. Both state "all the other rules for Sneak Attack still apply to you" which would include the fact that disadvantage cancels it.

I mean, argue for it to be as you state for the SCAG interpretation, but even before Xanathar's came out, I both played and DM'd as disad would negate sneak for a swashbuckler.

Mercurias
2019-06-21, 08:30 AM
I would go with either Inquisitor or Swashbuckler, depending on whether you have higher Charisma or Wisdom.

Running as a Mastermind could also serve you well as a party face and supporter.

loki_ragnarock
2019-06-21, 08:52 AM
If your a swashbuckler, you get credit for all your kills.

As a mastermind, you get credit for everyone's kills.

Think about it.

Keravath
2019-06-21, 11:54 AM
Could go AT, take the booming blade cantrip and pick up the mobile feat if you want to go melee/skirmish.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-21, 12:07 PM
Ordering your team based on combat range:

MELEE
Fighter
Cleric
Rogue (You)
Sorcerer
Wizard
RANGE

So I'd first determine what kind of Cleric your team has. If they're a medium-armored, support-y type (Grave, Light, etc) then it might be worth focusing on melee, which makes sense considering you're bouncing between Scout and Swashbuckler.

The Scout makes a solid mid-ranged combatant, since you can start the fight holding two daggers and only throw your second one when you happen to miss getting your Sneak Attack to hit. You don't need to Bonus Action Disengage when enemies approach, either. You can upgrade this playstyle by picking up the Crossbow Expert feat, if you wanted to, or take Dual Wielder to throw two daggers every turn rather than once per fight.

Mastermind works best if you have another Rogue in the party, or a major focus on attacks. In this case, the only person who'd probably be attacking (other than you) is just the Fighter, so probably not the best choice.

Swashbuckler would be preferable if you wanted to be a melee-focused character, for obvious reasons.

Arcane Trickster's a solid choice if you plan on focusing on the non-combat elements of a Rogue. Akin to Thief.

Inquisitive excels at Wisdom, long-range sniping, and non-combat elements.

Assassin is fun with the right DM, but it might require you to work on your own, separate from the team.

So, to summarize:

Swashbuckler: Focus on Melee
Scout: Focus on Melee/Short Range
Inquisitive: Focus on Wisdom/Noncombat/Range
Arcane Trickster: Focus on Intelligence/Noncombat
Thief: Focus on Noncombat, neither Intelligence or Wisdom, acts as the group scout.
Mastermind: Focus on social elements and helping allies attack (which there aren't many of)
Assassin: Focus on splitting the party, ranged combat, or stealth.

Dalebert
2019-06-21, 12:30 PM
Assassin: Focus on splitting the party, ranged combat, or stealth.

This made me lol. Yeah, just... Don't. I would say go assassin if you and/or your DM doesn't understand how surprise works or you want buyer's remorse.

AT isn't about arcane support. You don't get enough magic for that. AT is about having an arsenal of ways to reliably land your sneak attack--owl Familiar, your mage hand, shadow blade, Invisibility, hold person w/ disadvantage on the save! But I get that it may be old for you.

Thief is underrated IMHO. Swashbuckler is nice but I tend to just think go AT and take mobile feat instead. So much more baby for the buck. AT with Crossbow expert is competitive. Just don't close with enemies at all. Get within 30 ft.