PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Buffing the Telepathy Psion Discipline

gooddragon1
2019-06-20, 09:00 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Silva Stormrage
2019-06-20, 10:08 PM
Is telepathy considered a weak discipline? It contains schism and while a lot of things are immune to domination effects psionic dominate can also dominate multiple creatures and unless it's an undead campaign I find it rare that every enemy in a fight is immune to mind affecting, usually you can target a not insignificant chunk of enemies.

Segev
2019-06-21, 12:33 PM
The trick with mind-control-focused PCs is that, despite there being plenty that are immune to it, they can still use their mind control powers against those who are immune to them. No, not by taking them over, but by using their mind-controlled minions against them.

Sure, you can't affect that frost giant zombie with telempathic projection, but the three ogres you've got convinced you're their best friend in the world will be thrilled to beat it to a squishy pulp for you.

That said, there's nothing wrong with specialized feats that let you overcome such things, especially for purposes of buffing allies.

Personally, I think the Mindbender archetype on Telepathy for the Psion is actually quite potent. Automatic mindlink with anything you have Charmed gives you power to sway them that is the usual stymying point for mind-controllers: communication.

gooddragon1
2019-06-23, 06:02 PM
Just for the sake of creating stuff I guess then.

Telempathic Fervor
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 2
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 3

You bestow conviction upon an ally telempathically. The creature gains a +1 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls and will saves for the duration of the power.

Augment

You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

1. For every 5 additional power points you spend, the morale bonus gained increases by 1.
2. If you spend 3 additional power points, you can affect an additional eligible target within range.

===

I'm probably going to step on the toes of the bard with these powers. The above is an example of what could be done. I plan on doing one for attack rolls. Another one for skills involving interpersonal stuff (diplomacy, bluff, etc.). I'm not sure about the numbers, just making stuff.

Note: Will saves and damage boost, 2 things a melee character will usually appreciate (especially if they have good fortitude base from their class but poor will base from their class).