PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures Handbook classes?

...Eh?
2007-10-07, 12:40 PM
The Miniatures Handbook introduced the Marshal and Healer classes, (as well as the Favored Sould and Warmage, but they're in better known books.) but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play one, lthough I don;t think you can really fault them for that. While I liked the flavor on them, the Healer and Marshal just seemed like terrible classes. The Healer is pretty much a Cleric who can't wear metal armor, and the Marshal is pretty much a magic item that can die. Is there any actual use for these classes, or would it be better to just find something else?

PlatinumJester
2007-10-07, 12:43 PM
I've always liked the idea of the Healer class. If you don't feel like going Clericzilla then it's alright or if just want it for roleplaying purporses. I've always wanted to make a Halfling Healer w/dragonmark of House Jorasco.

TheLogman
2007-10-07, 12:57 PM
Healer is pretty much useless, there is really no reason to pick them over Cleric, except as an NPC. I've always seen Healers as a NPC class anyway. The only reason to pick them is for the Unicorn (Which isn't really a reason at all, unless you REALLY like unicorns). The Marshal, however, is AMAZING if you dip, and leads to the highest form of cheese in some cases.
In the matter of prestige classes, if your campaign is Undead-heavy, the Skullclan Stalker is unto them as an amazing undead killing machine.

EDIT: The Warchief is fun, if only as a BBEG.

Kaelik
2007-10-07, 02:05 PM
A one level Marshal dip is great for optimizing things. Getting charisma to X can really help out when you need to max something.

kjones
2007-10-07, 03:38 PM
I agree that the Marshal is somewhat underpowered, but one of my players really liked the idea. So I houseruled him to get full BAB. He's going for a mounted archery elven type, which is interesting, and with an 18 Dex and 18 Cha, he really doesn't need anything else. +4 to damage while flanking gives good synergy with the rogue and everything, and +5ft move is pretty damn sweet. He mostly hangs back and fires arrows, so he doesn't get hit... sure, he's not terribly powerful, but he's a good secondary combatant (nobody else really does the whole "ranged combat" thing) and he helps everyone else out.

So, not entirely useless.

TheLogman
2007-10-07, 03:48 PM
Marshal is best when surrounded in allies who all benefit from his various effects and auras. He isn't a melee type, he can stand his ground in a fight, but isn't as good as a fighter in melee. He makes all the fighters better though.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-07, 03:49 PM
I like Healers. Unfortunately, Bards and even Shugenja can make better healbots than Healers.

Healers really should've had the Cleric's spontaneous Cure casting. Or, better, spontaneous casting like the Warmage or Beguiler.

Xefas
2007-10-07, 03:49 PM
I wholeheartedly suggest this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=752414) for anyone who likes the idea of a marshal but wants the class to be on par power-wise with the other classes (or at least closer).

I personally loved the class, even without this addition, but the extra options/customizability and added usefulness are surely welcome.

eilandesq
2007-10-07, 04:01 PM
If you're looking for a leader/diplomat/warrior type, a paladin/fighter/marshal build isn't bad. Yeah, he's not as nasty in melee as a pure fighter or even a fighter/paladin, but his saving throws will be topnotch (even before auras) and if you take enough levels in marshal to have a couple of minor auras and a major one, you give your party flexible saving throws for situational use. If your GM enforces paladin class progress rules it takes some planning (take four levels of paladin to give yourself access to turning for divine feats, then alternate fighter and marshal levels until you hit P4/F4/M3, then progress as you prefer), but your fellow party members will love you for it.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-07, 04:09 PM
The Miniatures Handbook introduced the Marshal and Healer classes, (as well as the Favored Sould and Warmage, but they're in better known books.) but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play one I think some of the restriction on play is that the Miniatures Handbook is half about another game, and only half about D&D. Thus D&D-only players won't get good value from the book.

However, the Marshal class is freely available online in the Miniatures Handbook excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b). Tell your gaming friends, and maybe you'll get some more takers for this class.