PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Item and/or Item effect duplication (Would this work and also what would)

OboTheHobo
2019-06-20, 09:15 PM
By raw, Astral projection make a copy of you and all your items, so I thought to myself "How can this be exploited?"
what first comes to mind is getting more uses out of items like [Ring of Three Wishes] or [Luck Blade]. While you Astral project with either item you're free to use the items charges without penalty since it's only a copy and the original has all its charges.
Another scenario comes to mind, Immagine you enlist the help of another high-level wizard with the same spell.
Imagine [Wizard A] Astral Projects with a coin purse containing 1gp, [Wizard A] then plane shifts back to his body [Wizard A] then gives [Wizard B] his gp [Wizard B] also takes the (Real) gp from the suspended [Wizard A]. [Wizard B] astral projects with both the real gp and the copy of the original gp. [Wizard B] Planet shifts back to his real body and [Wizard A] ends his original Astral Projection spell and the process is repeated each time doubling the gp (if both wizards stop astral projecting during the same time all the copied gold should go away)

Do it 64 times starting with 1 gp and you have an impossible amount of gold 2^64 = 1.8446744*10^19 gp

So would this work? Are there any other dupe methods known around here?

OboTheHobo
2019-06-20, 09:19 PM
With the above method, all that gold can only be used to scam people out of stuff. Once you die or the spell ends all the extra duped stuff goes away forever. but on that note duping expensive magic items to sell while keeping the original is pretty easy with just one wizard (just sell what you bring with you before ending the spell)

Mr Adventurer
2019-06-21, 07:31 AM
Astral Projection duping is well known, but I'd say the astral gold vanishes when the spell that creates it ends.

unseenmage
2019-06-21, 08:17 AM
Alternatively the Plane of Mirrors from Manual of the Planes creates mirror duplicates which get copies of your equipment as well.
Easily accessible via the Mirror Walking spell.

noob
2019-06-21, 08:27 AM
Alternatively the Plane of Mirrors from Manual of the Planes creates mirror duplicates which get copies of your equipment as well.
Easily accessible via the Mirror Walking spell.

and once you beat your mirror duplicates(for safety) you send mules in the mirror dimension which gets duplicated as well

unseenmage
2019-06-21, 08:34 AM
and once you beat your mirror duplicates(for safety) you send mules in the mirror dimension which gets duplicated as well

And beating them means hitting them with Monstrous Thrall and Mindrape so they aren't trouble anymore.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-21, 08:30 PM
Astral Projection duping is well known, but I'd say the astral gold vanishes when the spell that creates it ends.

The "easy" fix to that is to get 64 wizards with Astral Projection and dupe the items through a line since the spell can last forever it should be easy to split the "loot" especially if you start with 64 gp rather than 1 gp.

64(2^64)=1.1805916e*10^21 gp {Fun fact} that number is greater than the number of grains of sand on earth
7.5 x 10^18
[estimated here https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/09/17/161096233/which-is-greater-the-number-of-sand-grains-on-earth-or-stars-in-the-sky]

AND the number of stars in our observable universe 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 or
1*10^21
https://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3775

With numbers this big we're happy to have portable holes.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-21, 08:33 PM
With that much gold, you could probably make a Ring of Continuous time stop. Does anyone have the formula for how much that would cost?

OboTheHobo
2019-06-21, 08:47 PM
The "easy" fix to that is to get 64 wizards with Astral Projection and dupe the items through a line since the spell can last forever it should be easy to split the "loot" especially if you start with 64 gp rather than 1 gp.

64(2^64)=1.1805916e*10^21 gp {Fun fact} that number is greater than the number of grains of sand on earth
7.5 x 10^18
[estimated here https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/09/17/161096233/which-is-greater-the-number-of-sand-grains-on-earth-or-stars-in-the-sky]

AND the number of stars in our observable universe 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 or
1*10^21

On second thought, the "Easier" way would be to make 64 scrolls of Astral Projection for lower level wizards/better yet just dupe scrolls of Astral projection and plane shift for your wizard Cohort and wizard followers to keep the duplication chain going.

Crichton
2019-06-21, 08:51 PM

7.5 x 10^18

1*10^21

What I *think* Mr. Adventurer was saying, and which I agree with, is that the duplicate items and coins from my AP body disappear as soon as my AP spell ends, even if they're now in the possession of someone else, and thus this whole trick doesn't work.

As for using it to get extra uses out of rings of Wish and such: maybe? It should work by RAW, but your DM will likely throw things at you.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-21, 09:03 PM
What I *think* Mr. Adventurer was saying, and which I agree with, is that the duplicate items and coins from my AP body disappear as soon as my AP spell ends, even if they're now in the possession of someone else, and thus this whole trick doesn't work.

As for using it to get extra uses out of rings of Wish and such: maybe? It should work by RAW, but your DM will likely throw things at you.

My reply was to fix the spell ending problem, I meant to convey that no one would have to end their spell if they did a complete factory duplication line.

[A] gives his real and fake coin to [B]. [B] gives [A]'s real and fake coin as well as his two newly duped coins to [C] and so on and so forth, with the line of wizards, you do not need to end anyone's spell to continue the process. Sorry if I didn't convey that clearly or if I'm still not understanding what you mean.

Crichton
2019-06-21, 09:08 PM
My reply was to fix the spell ending problem, I meant to convey that no one would have to end their spell if they did a complete factory duplication line.

[A] gives his real and fake coin to [B]. [B] gives [A]'s real and fake coin as well as his two newly duped coins to [C] and so on and so forth, with the line of wizards, you do not need to end anyone's spell to continue the process. Sorry if I didn't convey that clearly or if I'm still not understanding what you mean.

I get ya now. Yeah, it'd probably work. I'd be surprised if the DM doesn't invoke some sort of 'copies of copies of copies' degradation or something, though, or some other way to limit your shenanigans. Makes for an interesting idea, and I'd imagine could be taken to even greater extremes. That or simplified down so a single character can utilize it. Ice Assassins or something, you know, the standard fare.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-21, 09:19 PM
I get ya now. Yeah, it'd probably work. I'd be surprised if the DM doesn't invoke some sort of 'copies of copies of copies' degradation or something, though, or some other way to limit your shenanigans. Makes for an interesting idea, and I'd imagine could be taken to even greater extremes. That or simplified down so a single character can utilize it. Ice Assassins or something, you know, the standard fare.

I like to imagine I've been sucked into the world of DnD, and like any Wizard I KNOW I'm squishy and need to do everything in my power to not die by exploiting everything in a universe filled to the brim with physics breaking magic written out for me simply as rules in a player's handbook