PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Homebrew Deity] Zazzarez

Zhentarim
2019-06-21, 01:58 AM
I have made this thread so I can get feedback on how to improve this homebrew deity and how to best play a worshipper of this deity.

Yes there is! And you can detail him, or I can.

If you could do additional details, that’s great. The general skeleton, though would be this:

Name: Zazzarez

Holy Symbol: A skull covered in vines

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Domains: Destruction (Catastrophy), Animal (Insect), Weather (Storms), Chaos (Entropy), Plant (Decay)

Both the parent domain and subdomains above are available to worshippers who get domains from their class.

Dogma: Everything eventually passes into ruin—wood becomes feed for termites, storms erode stone, wolves and vultures gnaw the bones of corpses, lightning destroys whole forests, the roots of plants destroy even the sturdiest paths and roads. Even nature itself is constantly destroying itself and thus constantly evolving. This destruction, however, paves the way for new life, and keeps the world from becoming stagnant. Destroy what has existed past its time, and live each day as though it were your last. Laugh in the face of so-called authority, for you know you and the so-called authority are both bound for the grave, and all are equal in death.

Deific Obedience: Spend 1 hour creating something of beauty. After the hour is up, destroy it in any way you can—whether by smashing it, burning it, or some other method. Reflect on the impermanence of all things. Gain a +1 Sacred or Profane Bonus to Damage rolls for the next 24 hours. The type of bonus depends on your alignment, if you are neither good nor evil, choose whether you will receive a sacred or profane bonus. Once chosen, your choice may not be changed.

Elvensilver
2019-06-22, 08:09 AM
Sounds good, like a standard description straight out of Inner Sea Gods. (EDIT: assumig from the Obedience part that this is Pathfinder) Small nitpick: Zon Kuthon has a Skull with Chains as his holy symbol, and they might look really similar.
I would like some Aphorisms, to really understand the deitys and worshippers motivation. Like "You'll die tomorrow!" as an encouragement and Memento Mori, or "Eat your live!".
Also interesting would be some relationships to other religions, particulary similar ones-what are the similarities and differents to Gozreh? does Zazzrez promote battle like Gorum? Is this deity mostly nature focused, or is there any clergy that tries to incoporate the teaching into civilised society? Is the religion small or large, is there any organisation, and which task do the priest perform for their faithful?

So, the characters I came up with, that my worship the big Z.
The sailor (CN,CG): a skittish youth from a broken familiy, they soon went to the sea, to find freedom, and hopefully aceptance. Now they live a fastpaced life, mostly caring about themselves, but enjoying and promoting companionship, while searching fun and acceptance in dangerous actions. They love the sea, the thrill that comes with storms, the freedom to do whatever they want, and when the situation turns dire, they find solace in Zazzarez promise that anything must end.
The Doomsayer(CN,CE) an old pessimst, who takes great joy in pointing out the limits of humanoid might. Having lost any attachments to their life, they nurtures parasites on his body, and cynism in any the Doomsayer encounters.
The Schoolar (NN,CN): A dispassionate person, focused on studys of Destruction and Catastrophy and their magical representation. Worships Zazzarez because this Deity doesn't care for conventions, is neither good nor evil, but just strong and free.
The Druid (CN,NN): nature is not good, and not evil. But it is strongest, if it is young and changing. They like bugs and insects, as few other animals really live as fast and die as young. When the druid travels, it is to discover new species, grow through resistance, enjoy the world, and prune what is old, unmoving and won't step aside when their time has come. They are social, but see little value in old people or possesions, only ever interested in the young, the beautiful and the constantly evolving.

EDIT: holy cow, a bonus to all weapon damage is (too) strong.
Also, how about a holy weapon, such as a flail (to shatter puny things, put also bring out new things from the old), a hammer (crush something), or a sickle (reap the living)?

hamishspence
2019-06-23, 03:44 AM
The Vines bit could be made more distinctive - a crown of vines, or vines specifically growing from one eye socket of the skull, to make it stand out compared to the Chained Skull of the other deity.

Zhentarim
2019-06-23, 03:53 PM
The Vines bit could be made more distinctive - a crown of vines, or vines specifically growing from one eye socket of the skull, to make it stand out compared to the Chained Skull of the other deity.

That works well. As for favored weapon, I like the hammer idea, so I’m going with Earth Breakers (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/earth-breaker/).

the_david
2019-06-23, 04:00 PM
What about variant channeling, mysteries and inquisitions. (Assuming you allow your players to play Oracles or Inquisitors.)

Zhentarim
2019-06-23, 07:57 PM
What about variant channeling, mysteries and inquisitions. (Assuming you allow your players to play Oracles or Inquisitors.)

I’ll need to think about that.