PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The various applications of the Oil Chamber

Jowgen
2019-06-21, 05:16 AM
So the Oil Chamber is pretty neat, but is rarely talked about.

While the text largely talks about "Oil", the text makes it clear you can also load it with poisons (also Trollbane, which is really more of a regular alchemical liquid), so I think most liquid things are viable.

Now the first obvious utility is to be immune to poison and fill the chamber with an inhaled poison, like the Sleepsmoke from Waterdeep (or a Doubt Bomb if you can swing it). Swift action to cover yourself in a cloud of DC 15 Unconsicous poison (that lasts 2 rounds, expanding to 20 ft on the second) can be quite handy. Similarly, you should be able to use contact poisons to deal with any nasty that might be getting too familiar (e.g. grapple, swallow whole, etc.). Ingested Poisons might work in case you're swallowed.

If you're not immune to poison, you can load the chambers up with contact drugs, as an alternative to alchemical tooth (of which you can only have one), give give yourself a quick boost with e.g. Karnmarth (expeditious retreat for 80 gp). Again, ingested drugs could be real fun if you've been swallowed whole.

If you're a vampire, loading an oil chamber with Liquid Night should give you a panic button in case somebody pulls a curtain on you and exposes you to Sunlight. Considering it normally takes a full round action to apply and you only get a single standard or move action while in the sun before turning to dust, this thing can be a real life saver.

If you're in a it-is-cold-outside campaign, a dose of icewalker oil might come in handy.

If immune, there might be value in loading it with Green Slime or Shadow Slime, although how well those work in those doses is up for debate.

Of course the intended use of using Magical Oils might come in handy, though I struggle to think of any application that goes beyond a simple short buff.

So, anybody got any other ideas?

An oil chamber is a tiny vessel attached to the hilt of a weapon, the inside of a shield, or either forearm of a suit of armor. You can fill the chamber with any magic or alchemical oil as a full-round action. Sealing the oil inside the chamber creates pressure, such that opening the chamber again a swift action) causes the oil to spray out over the armor or weapon. In this way, you can apply the oil to your equipment quickly and efficiently. You cannot open a full chamber without having the oil spray, however, so filling the chamber is a commitment to applying the oil to that armor or weapon at some point in the future. Filling an oil chamber with poison is a bad idea. Whoever is wielding or wearing the equipment is automatically exposed to the poison as it sprays out. However, it is safe to fill a chamber with trollbane, assuming that you are not a troll. Unlike most modifications, an oil chamber can be added to an existing weapon, shield, or armor fairly easily. Weapons and shields can support one oil chamber, but a suit of armor can hold two (one on each forearm). You can build an oil chamber into a missile weapon, such as a crossbow, in such a way that the oil sprayed affects the loaded missile, rather than the weapon.

unseenmage
2019-06-21, 08:31 AM
Could arguably stash a dose of Quintessence or Shapesand in there. One would be situationally useful while the other could be a lifesaver in a myriad of situations.

Thanks to the squeezing rules I'm pretty sure you could keep up to what, a tiny?, construct or undead in there indefinitely. Be it a Minor Servitor-ed alchemical item or a Crawling Claw or something.

Casting Shrink Item on your stored substance could net you more than one dose of the stored material as well.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-06-21, 08:55 AM
Do you think living spells are liquid enough to be sprayed from an oil chamber? Oozes are pretty good at squeezing, if I recall correctly...

A double dose of luhix covering your armour spikes is probably a good way to deal with grapples, but many creatures are immune to poison (and freedom of movement is a thing).

Jowgen
2019-06-21, 06:41 PM
Could arguably stash a dose of Quintessence or Shapesand in there. One would be situationally useful while the other could be a lifesaver in a myriad of situations.

Thanks to the squeezing rules I'm pretty sure you could keep up to what, a tiny?, construct or undead in there indefinitely. Be it a Minor Servitor-ed alchemical item or a Crawling Claw or something.

Casting Shrink Item on your stored substance could net you more than one dose of the stored material as well.

I don't think minion storage is a viable option, but I REALLY like the Shrink Item idea. Liquids should be fair game as the spell measures objects in cu.ft. Being sprayed out onto a suit of armor has to count as being tossed onto a solid surface.

So with this you can get yourself 4000 times the volume of whatever non-magical thing you want to spray about.

If quintessence is a valid target, that would get you enough of the stuff to actually be useful.

Full patches of Green/Shadow Slime also become proper options.

Really open up options with the question: what sorta liquid-y stuff could you want to suddenly release 4000 doses off in one swift action?

Of course that that point cost effectiveness becomes a question...

As for shapesand... it should work provided you first shape it into the right consistency. Then you can spray it onto yourself and then reshape it into whatever it is the situation calls for. Depending on how lenient the DM is on what Shapesand can become, quite a lot of potential emergency applications.

Do you think living spells are liquid enough to be sprayed from an oil chamber? Oozes are pretty good at squeezing, if I recall correctly...

A double dose of luhix covering your armour spikes is probably a good way to deal with grapples, but many creatures are immune to poison (and freedom of movement is a thing).

Not sure about the living spells, but if the armor spikes thing works that does open up options.

Rules question, if you got armor spikes, does the Oil Chamber by raw apply the stuff onto those as well?

TheCount
2019-06-22, 05:38 AM
i remember there being a spell/class feature that let you heal from energy damage.... so that plus alchemist fire maybe bottled lightning?
also there is an alchemical item that iirc dont let ghosts/incomporeal or ethereal stuff pass through on the surface its aplied on so... temporary ghost touch?
enchance it so it is like an everful mug/eversmoking bottle/bottle of endless sand, just with trollbane?

if it can be put on a normal bracer, not only on a suit of armor, that would be nice.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-22, 07:44 AM

Luhix isn't actually a poison (it's an abyssal drug), so IMO it should work on things that are immune to poison. RAW, this seems to work.

As a GM I would rule that things like undead without a metabolism should be safe, but that things that are merely warded against poison (Delay Poison, Detect Poison...) shouldn't be safe.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-06-22, 10:50 AM
Rules question, if you got armor spikes, does the Oil Chamber by raw apply the stuff onto those as well?
Well, armour spikes are part of the armour, so if "the armour" is covered in its entirety, the spikes are included... but armour and spikes are enchanted separately, and affected by different oils. If you put weapon oils in an armour oil chamber, it should enchant armour spikes, or perhaps your gauntlet, but it could be that nothing happens.

Luhix isn't actually a poison (it's an abyssal drug), so IMO it should work on things that are immune to poison. RAW, this seems to work.
The first paragraph of the "Drugs" section explains that drugs work like poisons. It doesn't outright say that immunity to poison works against them, but "delay poison, neutralize poison, and similar effects negate or end a drug’s effects [...]" is rather suggestive. To be on the safe side, I assume that luhix is negated by immunity to poison.

Jowgen
2019-06-24, 01:29 AM
i remember there being a spell/class feature that let you heal from energy damage.... so that plus alchemist fire maybe bottled lightning?
also there is an alchemical item that iirc dont let ghosts/incomporeal or ethereal stuff pass through on the surface its aplied on so... temporary ghost touch?
enchance it so it is like an everful mug/eversmoking bottle/bottle of endless sand, just with trollbane?

if it can be put on a normal bracer, not only on a suit of armor, that would be nice.

There's the energetic healing spell, but that's only for magical damage and there's a limit. Icefane Corpse spell does it for cold with no issue, but undead only and middling duration, but could combo well with ShadowSlime. Phoenix Belt soulmeld kinda works for fire, but only really gives fast healing. Being a Mechantrix does it for electricity... so not a lot of great options.

Ghostblight (CA) does it for weapons but nothing for armor afaik

No way to make it aendless afaik

It can be put on shields, so Dastanas should work in terms of bracers.

Well, armour spikes are part of the armour, so if "the armour" is covered in its entirety, the spikes are included... but armour and spikes are enchanted separately, and affected by different oils. If you put weapon oils in an armour oil chamber, it should enchant armour spikes, or perhaps your gauntlet, but it could be that nothing happens.

Lets assume that it works, any good weapon oils that might be good in a pinch?

Ashtagon
2019-06-24, 03:23 AM
A lot of those suggestions you gave won't work.

It holds a single dose of oil (or other liquid) that can be applied easily to the weapon or armour it is attached to. That doesn't mean it can be applied to the person wielding said weapon or armour.

Straight away that removes any inhaled poison (since it's a gas, not a liquid).

Liquid night and icewalker similarly won't work, because they'd be applied to the armour, rather than to the subject's body.

Jowgen
2019-06-24, 04:39 AM
A lot of those suggestions you gave won't work.

It holds a single dose of oil (or other liquid) that can be applied easily to the weapon or armour it is attached to. That doesn't mean it can be applied to the person wielding said weapon or armour.

Straight away that removes any inhaled poison (since it's a gas, not a liquid).

Liquid night and icewalker similarly won't work, because they'd be applied to the armour, rather than to the subject's body.

With the poisons it should depend on the composition. Inhaled ones that need to be burned (Baccaran) or that are dust-based while stored might not work, but anything that is a liquid that evaporates upon exposure to air, or even a "compressed gas" (if such a thing exists) should be fair game. The oil chamber text certainly doesn't make any distinction as to the types of poisons, so arguably even Ingested ones might be workable (though I don't think so).

The functionality of using things such as Liquid Night relies on reading the "Whoever is wielding or wearing the equipment is automatically exposed to the poison as it sprays out" as extending to other liquids as well.

Lets say you filled a chamber with Alchemists Fire, would the result be that only the armor is on fire and the one wearing it takes no damage? I think that'd be a rather hefty dysfunction. Needs case by case adjudication, but by en large I think it reasonable to expect that this use will fly at a given table.

Ashtagon
2019-06-24, 07:05 AM
Whether it works or not would depend heavily on whether you need to be touched by it (for most contact poisons) or evenly covered over at least key areas (such as hands and feet for that icewalker one).