PDA

View Full Version : Spore Druid/Rogue Damage

elyktsorb
2019-06-21, 11:08 AM
So can someone tell me if this is good average damage for the level? The level being 13. Spore Druid 8, Scout Rogue 5

Weapons +1 Scimitar, +1 Short Sword Dex is 20

This will be assuming Halo of Spores is up and giving the 1d6 poison and Sneak Attack is available.

+1 Scimitar + Sneak Attack is 4d6+1+5 Poison damage of 1d6

Bonus action second weapon attack, +1 Shortsword is 1d6 + 1d6 poison. (Don't have 2 weapon fighting)

Just curious if this is good or not for average attack damage.

Rukelnikov
2019-06-21, 11:23 AM
Depends what you consider good, compare it to a full rogue:

Action: 1d6 + Dex
BAction: 1d6

Plus 7d6 SA

Your build:

Action: 2d6 + Dex
BAction: 2d6

Plus 3d6 SA

if both attacks hit, then the Rogue is hitting clearly harder, if only one attack hits then the rogue is hitting massively harder.

IMO sproe druid works better when you have some means to attack multiple times in a turn, it may be with Extra Attack, but Polymorphing is also an effective method of doing it.

JNAProductions
2019-06-21, 11:24 AM
Do you feel you're contributing okay to the table, whether via damage, support, tanking, or what-have-you? Then you're good.

Do you feel you're not contributing enough? Check with the other players, talk to them and see if they feel similarly or if they've noticed your contributions where you have not.

Keravath
2019-06-21, 11:40 AM
It really depends what you want to compare against. Some builds are designed to do damage while others have other abilities. A druid for example has access to a lot of spells so they won't be doing the same amount of damage in their attacks as others.

Your case:

5d6 + 6 = average 23.5
2d6 offhand = average 7

total average = 30.5

Comparisons:

The numbers below are without magic weapon/with +1 weapon

Level 13 rogue with a rapier is d8 + 7d6 + 5 (assuming 20 dex) = average 34/35 (w +1)
- Level 13 rogue using 2 weapon fighting is 8d6+5 + d6 = 36.5 / 38.5 (w +1)

Any Level 11+ character with agonizing blast and hex = 3d10 + 3d6 + 15 = average 42
- without hex = 3d10 +15 = 31.5

Level 11+ fighter with a long sword and dueling style = 3d8 + 21 = 34.5/37.5 (w +1)

Level 11+ fighter with cross bow expert (or 2 weapon fighting) = 4d6+20 = 34/38 (w +1) ... however, hard to quantify the effect of +2 to hit from archery fighting style.

Level 11+ fighter with 2-handed sword = 6d6 + 15 = 36 / 39 (w +1) - does not include the effect of great weapon fighting which is on the order of +1 damage/attack ... so maybe more like 39 / 42.

Level 11+ caster using firebolt = 3d10 = 16.5

GWM/SS can greatly increase the damage from these classes and if the character has a magic weapon and other ways to offset the -5 to hit then they can be worthwhile using.

Anyway, the damage you've listed seems ok for a mostly caster character that won't be relying on melee attacks. It is a bit lower than the average damage for dedicated melee classes but higher than most pure casting classes using a cantrip which is pretty much what you might expect from a multiclass.

elyktsorb
2019-06-21, 12:26 PM
Do you feel you're contributing okay to the table, whether via damage, support, tanking, or what-have-you? Then you're good.

Do you feel you're not contributing enough? Check with the other players, talk to them and see if they feel similarly or if they've noticed your contributions where you have not.

Actually I'm introducing this character as a replacement to one that had just died. (The other one was a Moon Druid / Assassin Rogue.) Damage was never this characters strongest attribute, their niche was lockpicking and being sneaky, which Pass without Trace and Animal forms allow this with relative ease. I was more so curious if the amount of damage I was dealing wasn't terrible since looking at it, it feels kind of bad. I guess if I wanted to I could throw in the 2d6 on reaction necrotic damage from the Halo of Spores ability, assuming they failed their con save and took that too. Though I'll probably be saving my reaction for things that don't end up being a save or suck, like the scouts reaction movement or uncanny dodge.