PDA

View Full Version : D20 hit and run character

Yaitanos
2019-06-21, 11:43 AM
So I'm building a character for a game that combines a bunch of systems. And the concept I'm working with is one who can quickly move about the battlefield to assist with flanking and get in some spring attacks and such.

What I need from the hive mind is a race from any d20 system that has a fast movement speed. Preferably medium sized and 40+. Would like a dex and con bonus but the con is negotiable. I've got the feats and classes worked out already.

Lord of Shadows
2019-06-21, 12:16 PM
Catfolk (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/races/races-of-the-wild--84/catfolk--121/index.html) from Races of the Wild, Pg 92, has a base speed of 40, +4 Dex and +2 Listen and Move Silent.

Yaitanos
2019-06-21, 12:30 PM
Forgot to mention no level adjustment.

MultitudeMan
2019-06-21, 12:46 PM
Nezumi, from Oriental Adventures, have base speed 40, +2 CON, -2 CHA, and no LA (they also get some other bonuses that may or may not be relevant to your build). They're 3.0, hope that's not an issue.

weckar
2019-06-21, 02:10 PM
Quick trait is a think if you cannot quite get there.

Yaitanos
2019-06-21, 02:32 PM
Quick trait is a think if you cannot quite get there.

I plan on taking this as well. My character will also be taking a level of soldier from star finder that gives a bonus to speed. I want to ensure that I'm covered.

Akkristor
2019-06-21, 02:53 PM
....shadowpounce?

:D

Lord of Shadows
2019-06-21, 03:40 PM
Fleet of Foot (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/fleet-of-foot--1140/index.html) Feat from Forgotten Realms' Player's Guide to Faerūn, pg.38 adds +10 to base move. Requires race to be Elf, Half-elf or Human.

Yaitanos
2019-06-21, 07:35 PM
Those are all great suggestions. However as I stated I need a race not feets not class abilities four traits. I need a race to play.

MisterKaws
2019-06-21, 08:22 PM
Necropolitan Anthro-Octopus is technically LA +0 and has 0 HD, with a super fast jet ability, but it tends to have DMs throwing books at your head.

You should look up the world record movespeed build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445152-quot-The-CO-Response-to-Fastest-Total-Speed-quot-with-Chuck-the-RKW-(from-Wizards-forums)) for reference. It's around 30% the speed of light without infinite loops.

weckar
2019-06-21, 08:40 PM
Necropolitan Anthro-Octopus is technically LA +0 and has 0 HD, with a super fast jet ability, but it tends to have DMs throwing books at your head. How does Necropolitan help? It's not like Jet damages your Con...

Doctor Awkward
2019-06-21, 08:50 PM
the Nezumi from Oriental Adventures have 40 foot movement rate and no level adjustment.

MisterKaws
2019-06-21, 09:15 PM
How does Necropolitan help? It's not like Jet damages your Con...

Anthro-Octopus has 2 HD naturally. With necropolitan you can cut it to 1 and replace with a class HD. Though it's really sketchy because you can't usually pay for the rite at ECL 2...

And I think the ritual itself can kill you? I don't remember exactly. At least I know there's an octopus variant that can barely fit through, but it's probably the LA+1 version.

weckar
2019-06-21, 09:31 PM
I... I don't think becoming necropolitan can make you lose racial HD... like, ever.

MisterKaws
2019-06-21, 09:51 PM
I... I don't think becoming necropolitan can make you lose racial HD... like, ever.

They template doesn't. The rite does it.

Doctor Awkward
2019-06-21, 09:55 PM
Anthro-Octopus has 2 HD naturally. With necropolitan you can cut it to 1 and replace with a class HD. Though it's really sketchy because you can't usually pay for the rite at ECL 2...

And I think the ritual itself can kill you? I don't remember exactly. At least I know there's an octopus variant that can barely fit through, but it's probably the LA+1 version.

Necropolitan ritual cannot drain racial hit dice.

It drains only XP. You lose 1000 XP for becoming a necropolitan. If this causes you to lose a level then you lose a level.

If you do not have 1000 XP to lose, you turn to dust.

weckar
2019-06-21, 10:03 PM
Yeah, if it worked the other way you could play any race and just get enough Raise Deads ready to become 1HD...

Rebel7284
2019-06-21, 10:04 PM
Necropolitan makes you lose a level. However, I feel like in this case, racial HD is not the same as levels. After all, you can have 0 XP and still have all your racial HD.

MisterKaws
2019-06-22, 10:03 AM
Guess we just get the energy drains ready then.

An affected opponent takes a –1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and loses one effective level or Hit Die

Find a friendly neighborhood necromancer and get on to touching.

Doctor Awkward
2019-06-22, 12:14 PM
Guess we just get the energy drains ready then.

Find a friendly neighborhood necromancer and get on to touching.

An "effective" level or hit die is not the same thing as losing an actual hit die. That sentence is specifically for purposes where a creature's HD would matter when determining the results of an effect, such as with Blasphemy.

A "hit die" is also not the same thing as a racial hit die. Energy drain explicitly states at the end of the description that "A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain." So if you are a 1st-level character, an energy drain effect would kill if you fail your save to remove it regardless of how many racial hit dice you possess. I can't imagine the Necropolitan ritual works any differently.

MisterKaws
2019-06-23, 06:47 AM
An "effective" level or hit die is not the same thing as losing an actual hit die. That sentence is specifically for purposes where a creature's HD would matter when determining the results of an effect, such as with Blasphemy.

A "hit die" is also not the same thing as a racial hit die. Energy drain explicitly states at the end of the description that "A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain." So if you are a 1st-level character, an energy drain effect would kill if you fail your save to remove it regardless of how many racial hit dice you possess. I can't imagine the Necropolitan ritual works any differently.

RHD directly adds to the class level to determine Character Level, doesn't it?

Doctor Awkward
2019-06-23, 10:52 PM
RHD directly adds to the class level to determine Character Level, doesn't it?

Racial hit dice are added to class levels and level adjustment to determine "effective character level".

These have very specific uses, such as determining how much experience the character needs to advance another class level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm#levelAdjustmentandEffectiveCha racterLevel), or how much equipment they should be eligible to purchase. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#levelAdjustmentandEffectiveC haracterLevel)

MisterKaws
2019-06-24, 11:36 AM
Racial hit dice are added to class levels and level adjustment to determine "effective character level".

These have very specific uses, such as determining how much experience the character needs to advance another class level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm#levelAdjustmentandEffectiveCha racterLevel), or how much equipment they should be eligible to purchase. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#levelAdjustmentandEffectiveC haracterLevel)

So this means you can kill, for example, a Devastation Beetle just by waiting it out after energy draining it a few times until it rolls a 1 on a single drained level?

Oh boy, this should be on the power-leveling thread instead.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-06-24, 11:41 AM
Hampering the enemy can be just as useful for this kind of character as boosting his own mobility.

I just posted this in another thread. Maybe you should consider it:

Debuffs can be rather cheap, actually.

The MMIII's sand blaster is an exotic weapon that blows sand in an AoE attack that grants penalties to various things, and since you don't make attack rolls with it, there's no point in taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency for it. Lassos can reduce land speed and cause issues. Harpoons can impale and hamper enemies. Caltrops inhibit movement and cause damage.

Tanglefoot bags entangle foes they hit. Eggshell grenades (from Oriental Adventures) blind targets. Flasks of oil make the ground slick under enemies' feet, acting similarly to a grease spell (and can be lit on fire). Tree feather tokens can provide cover, inhibit tactical movement, and are cheap. Liquid ice causes all sorts of problems where it lands. Smokesticks inhibit line of sight, and if you are prepared to take advantage, hardly inhibit you at all. (See: oil flasks + alchemist's fire.) Containers of brown mold deal cold nonlethal damage and feed off of fire, which, when combined with oil and alchemist's fire can rather ruin the opposing side's day.

There's lots more where these came from, too. And they're all really, really cheap.

Oh, and a +1 sizing/morphing/metalline arrow can turn into all sorts of crazy things that could help hamper enemies in a fight. Suddenly having a Colossal sized adamantine quarterstaff in whatever configuration you choose could come in really handy when (for example) you want to block a doorway. And (once again) it's pretty cheap. Probably don't want to give that to your players, though.