PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Westworld as a campaign setting? [Unmarked spoilers, probably]

Vogie
2019-06-21, 12:04 PM
I'm catching up on season 2 of the HBO series Westworld, and I'm very interested if anyone else has converted this world into a campaign setting already. A cursory google search shows a handful of people mentioning it in passing over the past several years

The way I see it, the PCs could be a combination of guests, staff, and hosts. The arcs could be before or after the events of the season 1 finale, although there wouldn't be much need for the staff to be present in the world adventuring before that point.

While there isn't magic, per se, there is the "Asimovian magic" of those running Westworld - highly advanced technology in comparison to the bows, horses & revolvers of the 'world'.

Wizards have access to the code through their implements, such as staff and QA.
Clerics & Bards tend to the hosts and guests alike
Warlocks would likely be the security forces
Druids would be the hardest to emulate in the shifting sense, but if you replace wild shape with a sort of GoT Warg-style beast command or animal printing, and I think it could work
Sorcerers don't particularly fit, but could be shoehorned in somehow.

Thoughts? Ideas? Links?

xroads
2019-06-21, 06:00 PM
Wouldn't magic work much like firearms and explosives in Westworld worked like? I.E. special effects.

For example, there was a scene in the series when one of the characters plants an "explosive" on a jail cell. This prop was a signal to the game moderators to pop the cell open with some smoke and mirror effects.

I can see magic working like that. For example, a wizard does a particular incantation. The moderators notice and signal synthetic black tentacles to erupt out of the ground and grab the victims (aka Evard's Black Tentacles).

Or maybe there are nanites in the air that will behave in accordance to incantations.

Vogie
2019-06-22, 09:12 AM
Wouldn't magic work much like firearms and explosives in Westworld worked like? I.E. special effects.

Most of the evocation spells and whatnot are really easy to emulate with technology. Things like "Teleport" could be replaced with summoning an elevator to take you into the underground and fast travel, and Ford is essentially a superpowered Enchantment Wizard. However, things like Misty Step are much harder to emulate.