PDA

View Full Version : Unique Schticks & Builds

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-06-21, 11:00 PM
I have pretty well ran blank on what I want to do with long-lasting charafters/NPC's, and overall just want to here everyone's character Schticks/Builds!

Nothing seriously breaking, I dont care to have them do max damage, or be an absolute controller of the battle; I just mean more along the lines of:
This guy uses 2 longswords.
This Goliath uses Orc Shotputs for melee combat.
A dwarf that only uses stone weapons
Etc...

Thanks for any and all inspiration!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-06-21, 11:54 PM
A Thri-Kreen using four Broadblade Shortswords from Complete Adventurer, or two of those with two handaxes and High Sword Low Axe. Take Swordsage so he can stay lightly armored and focus on boosts and the Setting Sun counters. (The Broadblade Shortsword was reduced from +2 AC to +1 in the errata, sadly.)

Psyren
2019-06-22, 12:23 AM
One build I've always wanted to try, especially in a low-magic campaign, is an Underground Chemist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/underground-chemist/) rogue using a sling and Slipsilinger Grenadier (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/slipslinger-grenadier-combat) + Juggle Load (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/juggle-load-combat/) to launch a volley of alchemical grenades from their sling and deal sneak attack damage with all of them.

RighteousPauper
2019-06-22, 02:31 AM
More of a story element thing than an actual optimized build.

Cloistered Cleric/ Ordained Champion of Hextor. He's a level 8 character and a total *******, but he hits like a truck. Channel a Flame Strike or an Inflict Wounds spell into your weapon, then smite someone. I did the math on an Eldritch Disciple Build, where the levels looked something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Warlock 8/Ordained Champion 3/Eldritch Disciple 8, and you can do about 400+ damage in a round and negative levels. It requires a little bit of preparation, like a round or two to activate all of your abilities and make your attack, but as long as you aren't getting one-shot (Ordained Champion gets Diehard as a feat, so you get an extra few seconds to act before you fall unconscious), you can pretty much one-shot anyone you come across. Divine Metamagic, Divine Might, Extra Turning, stuff like that.

Not optimized, I'm not sure what tier this build would fall into, but I have found it to be incredibly fun and is quite balanced in most encounters at 20th level

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-06-22, 03:26 AM
More of a story element thing than an actual optimized build.

Cloistered Cleric/ Ordained Champion of Hextor. He's a level 8 character and a total *******, but he hits like a truck. Channel a Flame Strike or an Inflict Wounds spell into your weapon, then smite someone. I did the math on an Eldritch Disciple Build, where the levels looked something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Warlock 8/Ordained Champion 3/Eldritch Disciple 8, and you can do about 400+ damage in a round and negative levels.

Is it possible to break this down for me? This sounds like one amazing TPK for "that" player.

MisterKaws
2019-06-22, 04:58 AM
Want a TPK? Use the Web Enhancement version of the Monstrous Crab.

Seriously though only use that damn thing if some player wants to change characters and you can't be bothered to make up a reason for it. That Crab can quickly and efficiently dispatch an entire party at its CR.

pabelfly
2019-06-22, 06:59 AM
For some reason, whenever I want to use more than one weapon at once, I end up making a Giant Octopus.

First Giant Octopus I made was a dexterity-based psychic warrior that got free movement by swift-action teleportation. Was good (but not overpowered) in combat and playing a character with negative Intelligence and Charisma was really fun too.

The Giant Octopus I'll be running in a week's time is strength-based, has levels in Binder, and powers itself up with Tenebrous fuelling various Devotion Feats to boost power and utility. Looks to be a pretty fun character, especially since I'll be trying to hide the fact that I am a Binder while playing.

Hope you find something to inspire a future character in one of these posts.

Mr Adventurer
2019-06-22, 07:17 AM
Tumblor, the Amazing Tumbling Dwarf.

You can't use the Tumble skill if your speed is reduced by armour or encumbrance. Dwarves don't have their speed reduced by armour, so they can Tumble in it. Just have to overcome the check penalty. I put together a build - something like Rogue/Ranger/Deepwarden, so enough skill points to keep Tumble maxed, and TWF with a bit of Sneak Attack, and otherwise just a badass warrior.

Dragon Man

Paladin or Crusader, Dragonborn of Bahamut with breath weapon, Dragonscale Husk alternative class feature, and as many draconic feats to get claws, wings, tail etc. as possible.

Mighty Boot

Half-ogre fighter, Improved Bull-rush feat and both Dungeoncrasher alternate class features. Just kicking people through walls all day every day. After fighter 6 (ECL 8), multiclass out into Warblade or Swordsage and take manoeuvres that enhance the schtick. Barbarian for Rage and the Destructive Rage feat also if you want to bash objects harder than anyone thought possible.

RNightstalker
2019-06-22, 07:54 AM
Play a Fortune's Friend from Complete Scoundrel...all those rerolls came in handy to prevent a TPK a while back.

MisterKaws
2019-06-22, 08:33 AM
For some reason, whenever I want to use more than one weapon at once, I end up making a Giant Octopus.

First Giant Octopus I made was a dexterity-based psychic warrior that got free movement by swift-action teleportation. Was good (but not overpowered) in combat and playing a character with negative Intelligence and Charisma was really fun too.

The Giant Octopus I'll be running in a week's time is strength-based, has levels in Binder, and powers itself up with Tenebrous fuelling various Devotion Feats to boost power and utility. Looks to be a pretty fun character, especially since I'll be trying to hide the fact that I am a Binder while playing.

Hope you find something to inspire a future character in one of these posts.

My go-to solution for full attack plus movement is Were-Argent Spider. Gives you free action teleport, a small spider form for sneaking, and a hybrid form with a bite(although an STR penalty), all that for only 3 ECL.

I actually used it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21014315&postcount=119) on Iron Chef. Take a look if you like it.

pabelfly
2019-06-22, 08:56 AM
My go-to solution for full attack plus movement is Were-Argent Spider. Gives you free action teleport, a small spider form for sneaking, and a hybrid form with a bite(although an STR penalty), all that for only 3 ECL.

I actually used it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21014315&postcount=119) on Iron Chef. Take a look if you like it.

Pretty interesting build, thanks for the link.

daremetoidareyo
2019-06-22, 09:03 AM
Goblins with exotic proficiency (net) on flying goats with a couple of goblin rogues on flying goats with partially charged wands of fell-drain magic missile aiming at the weakest commoners around to turn them into wights. Granted, it's a DM schtick, but players seem to enjoy realizing that they have to get to the wand wielders first. While the rest handle the wight problem. And the nets just make it miserable.

Kris Moonhand
2019-06-22, 10:02 AM
Most of these are, obviously, player characters. So in addition to being a bit powergamey, they're also higher CR than most NPCs of the same level. Of course, that only matters if you're using them as a DM, not as a player. But have fun with the fruits of my mental loins! Or something.

Me, Myself, and I (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sGtncGwDLRePUbTmAQPhn8Uh7A8G7JZ5), Atstreidi Multiman (Mitotic Master) 6 [CR 6]: Living armor that replicates itself when struck, unless you deal the proper kind of damage. Could also be a friendly (if strange) NPC.
The armor clatters to the ground in pieces, then rises back up and reforms. There are now two of them.
Uses: Bloodforge Infusions: Esoteric Energies (Dreamscarred), Gonzo II (Little Red Goblin)

Phazon (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cGvsXu44fbk83MyMM3_386mHgtS42r3G), Atstreidi Marksman (Adaptive Gunner/Shroud) 6 [CR 6]: A stealthy ranged attacker who engages in guerrilla warfare.
There is a clicking sound as an armored figure suddenly pops into existence in front of you. It fires a blast of sound then fades away.
Uses: Bloodforge Infusions: Esoteric Energies (Dreamscarred), Ultimate Psionics (Dreamscarred), Akashic Mysteries (Dreamscarred)

Solana (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DNR2FaBvQAL8LIB3AoRVxd4V6IgSGdr1), Houri Rajah 2 [CR 2]: A cook who slays exotic beasts looking for the best ingredients. Also an expert in deadly poison. Don't make her your enemy.
The enticing smell has led you to the camp of a beautiful elven woman. She is standing next to a large pot of stew which is bubbling over a green flame. She bids you come and try her latest creation. Nearby, you can see the carcass of a massive bear, which has been skinned and butchered.
Uses: Bloodforge (Dreamscarred), Divergent Paths: Rajah (Dreamscarred), April Augmented 2018 (Dreamscarred)

Vif (https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Ajl0SFdf-m4DxmXhhPJenTn3vCGBsmP), Kitsune (Yokai/Huli Jing) Highlord (Cherished) 7 [CR 7]: A helpful little fox. Claims to be sent from powers on high to aid in the heroes' quest. She speaks only to her appointed champion, and even then only mentally, though she will aid the other party members if need be. She asks only one thing in return: a bit of her champion's vital essence each night to "keep her bound to this plane". Don't worry, it grows back. Is she truly a good spirit, or a trickster who will desert you when things turn sour?
A chain of red links shoots out from the fox and strikes your heart. You feel immense strength well up within you. It is as though you could take on the world by yourself.
Uses: Advanced Race Guide (Paizo), Bloodforge Infusions: Feathers & Fur (Dreamscarred), Ultimate Psionics (Dreamscarred), Psionics Augmented: Highlord (Dreamscarred), Psionics Augmented: Highlord II (Dreamscarred)

Julie Maupin (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nPT65bMkNpX1A9qyHAW7qnJ8Vy5O8oJZ/view?usp=sharing), Houri Croupier (Pool Shark/Cheater) 6/Stalker (Soul Hunter) 1 [CR 7]: A con artist, but not necessarily an enemy. Could be a contact for a local Thieves Guild. Her luck manipulation powers can be applied to many scenarios, lots of versatility. Also, her passive healing abilities make her very difficult to take down in battle.
The elven woman smiles as she sinks two balls at once. You line up your shot, but your hand slips when you go to shoot, scratching the table and sending the cue ball into a corner pocket. "You did say you were good at pool, didn't you?" she asks.
Uses: Bloodforge (Dreamscarred), Gonzo II (Little Red Goblin), Path of War (Dreamscarred), Divergent Paths: Rajah (Dreamscarred)

Omara the Unknowable (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVcpMWp9UPUGTixkRqumRfXXXloPwpSn/view?usp=sharing), Blue Cryptic (Raveler) 3 [CR 3]: A Blue that pretends to be a Halfling. She has a vendetta against Goblins due to them killing her children, and will try to subtly convince the party to take action against them whenever possible (not that most adventurers need a huge push to go after Goblins). She is the founder of a secret village of Blues, hidden from the outside world, but makes her living selling psionic tattoos. She's not willing to risk her life for non-Blues, but may support the party with her Temporary Blindness power from the backlines.
The shopkeeper winks at you, her mouth hidden behind a veil. "I see you all are adventurers. I've recently been having some Goblin problems, they're living a cave where I collect crystals for my work. If you could take care of them for me, I'd be willing to give you a discount on my wares...
Uses: Ultimate Psionics (Dreamscarred), Akashic Mysteries (Dreamscarred), Psionics Augmented: Psicrystals Expanded (Dreamscarred)

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-06-22, 12:30 PM
This is all really amazing stuff you guys! Definitely can think if a few NPCs to make up!

mabriss lethe
2019-06-22, 02:25 PM
The Vessel of *insert unnameable horror* This sort of build can be tacked on to pretty much any class, though you'll probably get the most mileage out of melee characters. It's really refluffing the aberrant feats from LoM into something far more alien than "guy with gross mutations" We enter with aberration blood, and just at random, we pick Flexible Limbs as our trait. Our guy just moves...Wrong. It's subtle, but it's almost like his body isn't really synchronized with his movements. we take that as our inspiration for some of the rest of it. If we pick inhuman reach, it's much the same. It isn't that his arms are long, it's that he seems to reach through space that isn't there to hit you. It gets stranger as we take some others, Starspawn doesn't grow wings, but instead when he flies, you swear you see afterimages superimposed around him. It's like a thousand barely seen versions of him are climbing something as the physical embodiment of the Vessel slowly floats along. Deepspawn's tentacles seem to appear from the air around him disconnected protrusions from some other place that do his bidding. Bestial hide instead warps space around him so that blows just don't seem to strike true. Scavenging gullet is somewhat horrifying. The vessel's mouth sort of unfolds in a way you can't quite describe. the tainted food just sort of disappears into the maw as it folds back in on itself and you're left with nothing but the vessel's all too normal looking face smiling an odd, satisfied smirk.

Segev
2019-06-23, 10:48 AM
Unchained Monk 1/Augmented Blade Soulknife X, maxing out Wisdom-based bonuses to hit, damage, and AC. Uses Shapesand from Sandstorm to shape weapons that the sandstone Psicrystal bonds with to have any weapon desired. Typical form is a wave blade (essentially a monk weapon scimitar).

Efrate
2019-06-23, 11:10 AM
Had a warforged cloistered cleric/binder/necrocarnate obsessed with souls, what they do, if he had one, how does giving a piece away effect oneself? How does taking one? He appeared to operate on a weirdly distinct morality. Fun to play.

MisterKaws
2019-06-23, 11:17 AM
Had a warforged cloistered cleric/binder/necrocarnate obsessed with souls, what they do, if he had one, how does giving a piece away effect oneself? How does taking one? He appeared to operate on a weirdly distinct morality. Fun to play.

Ehmm... How do you plan on qualifying for Necrocarnate with Binder?

Malphegor
2019-06-23, 11:41 AM
I’ve always wanted to do something with the Complete Scoundrel luck feats and the Fatespinner arcane Prc. Everyone gets rerolls! Noy sure what kind of character it’d be (someone with limited time
manipulation powers, mostly self-focused with the luck stuff but using fatespinner to give rerolls to others?) but it’d be mechanically entertaining maybe.

Venger
2019-06-23, 11:50 AM
Ehmm... How do you plan on qualifying for Necrocarnate with Binder?

It's possible to do with feats alone, though it'd take a while.

MisterKaws
2019-06-23, 12:05 PM
It's possible to do with feats alone, though it'd take a while.

Not very optimal, though. The only decent use for Necrocarnate I've ever seen is Venger's Melding Pot (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?579458-Optimization-Showcase-in-the-Playground-The-Melding-Pot), which uses Necrocarnate as a Theurge class. Outside of that, I can't see you doing much with it, aside from maybe the old Chicken-Infested trick.

Venger
2019-06-23, 12:12 PM
Not very optimal, though. The only decent use for Necrocarnate I've ever seen is Venger's Melding Pot (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?579458-Optimization-Showcase-in-the-Playground-The-Melding-Pot), which uses Necrocarnate as a Theurge class. Outside of that, I can't see you doing much with it, aside from maybe the old Chicken-Infested trick.

Thanks. Glad you like it.

MisterKaws
2019-06-23, 12:14 PM
Thanks. Glad you like it.

Wait...

Mental gears turning

I-it's yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ಠ_ಠ

I gotta look more at people's names before posting :\

Efrate
2019-06-23, 02:51 PM
Not the necrocarnate class, just the melds using necro acolyte etc. Campaign never finished sadly stalled out at mid levels, was fun from a rp standpoint though.

pabelfly
2019-06-23, 02:55 PM
I’ve always wanted to do something with the Complete Scoundrel luck feats and the Fatespinner arcane Prc. Everyone gets rerolls! Noy sure what kind of character it’d be (someone with limited time
manipulation powers, mostly self-focused with the luck stuff but using fatespinner to give rerolls to others?) but it’d be mechanically entertaining maybe.

Why not add some Binder levels with Balam as a vestige? Balam lets you get a free reroll every five rounds, and you can combo that with your luck-based feats to get more rerolls if that isn't enough. I imagine that would give you some pretty cool character flavour to work with too.

RighteousPauper
2019-06-29, 01:39 AM
Is it possible to break this down for me? This sounds like one amazing TPK for "that" player.

Warlock and Eldritch Disciple progress Eldritch Blast, so you deal a bunch of damage with Eldritch Blast, and you can use an Eldritch Blast when you cast a divine spell (let's say Energy Drain). Divine Metamagic allows you to channel a spell like Energy Drain that has been Maximized and Quickened, spending 7 of your 8 turn attempts (provided you have a 20 Cha, not hard to do in 3.5), spend your 8th to smite.

Regrettably, I did my math wrong and figured in some house rules (20+ on an attack roll gives crit dice, but 30+ doubles damage, 40+ triples, etc). Realistically, you do 8 negative levels and 100+ damage in one hit.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-06-29, 05:19 PM
I posted a build to Thurbane's Monster Mash thread based around stacking as many forms of rage as possible. "The angriest character in D&D" was something like a Were-Wolverine (4HD for large size) Shifter Barbarian/Weretouched Master (for wolverine rage again)/ Frenzied Berserker/ Berserk. 5 forms of rage simultaneously, one of which activate automatically with no use limits per day, and some of which can actually be turned off willingly!

Anthrowhale
2019-06-30, 12:35 PM
A Sparrow Hengeyokai Sorcerer taking Surrogate Spellcasting at level 1 that forgot it was not a sparrow?

MisterKaws
2019-06-30, 12:52 PM
A Sparrow Hengeyokai Sorcerer taking Surrogate Spellcasting at level 1 that forgot it was not a sparrow?

Stealing this, thank you.

Though I'll make it a bard instead.

Anthrowhale
2019-06-30, 04:45 PM
Stealing this, thank you.

Though I'll make it a bard instead.

Have fun.

Hengeyokai seem like a pretty fun race, particularly since Dragon #318 made them LA+0.

Efrate
2019-07-01, 10:51 AM
I once played an evil pixie enchanter who spoke and cast through his cat familiar using a special collar and no one knew it for most the campaign. Just had a random cat doing cat things which seemed oddly effective. All the cats feats were from the april fools article. Not super effective but a lot of fun.

2019-07-01, 11:18 AM
Make a cloistered cleric doing typical DMM Persist shenanigans. Fluff it as "demigod powers"

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-01, 11:30 AM
1. Ranger that grapples and has feats to use nets in combat to subdue animals and then wild empathy them, goal is to wild empathy all of them in the world, train them, and then use them in combat (a la pokemon).

2. Paladin with a pegasus mount. Never gotten the chance to do it myself but i would LOVE to.

3. Bard/Paladin with the Devoted Performer feat and maxed out ranks in Perform (Oratory) so that the performance are as if I were reciting scripture or stories of vicotry and triumph of my selected deity. Then as a player thing actually research the deity and find or write scriptures to quote or say on my turn while I do other things.

4. A character who, in some shape, form, or fashion, is like All Might from My Hero Academia.Not so much with his powers, but with his attitude and demeanor but with whatever character I please. Not so much a build, but a fun schtick I think.

Those are the 4 at the top of my personal list at the moment.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-01, 12:07 PM
Weaponized knowledge (history) checks a la gundarak from DMG 2. I entered one version to the villainous comp.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22032906&postcount=115

SirNibbles
2019-07-03, 05:56 AM
Tumblor, the Amazing Tumbling Dwarf.

You can't use the Tumble skill if your speed is reduced by armour or encumbrance. Dwarves don't have their speed reduced by armour, so they can Tumble in it. Just have to overcome the check penalty. I put together a build - something like Rogue/Ranger/Deepwarden, so enough skill points to keep Tumble maxed, and TWF with a bit of Sneak Attack, and otherwise just a badass warrior.

An easy way to boost tumble is a 1 level dip of Blade Dancer (OA, enter at 10th level). Level 1 doubles your movement speed and gives +10 to Tumble. And Balance. And Jump. And allows you to take 10 on all 3 of those any time. Take 5 levels for +20 or 10 for +30.

The Spring Attack requirement is a pain but if you're going for something like a Word Given Form build it's pretty much free.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-03, 06:01 AM
Nice, though we don't use OA at my tables. If I was making the build again today, I'd be looking at Warblade (Bo9S wasn't out when I realised Dwarves could tumble in full plate).