PDA

View Full Version : Belt of Dwarvenkind.

Aussiehams
2019-06-22, 02:10 AM
G'day all.

Would a belt of Dwarvenkind allow a non dwarf character to attune to a dwarf specific magic item like Whelm?

Given the benefits and beard growth etc. I think it should, but I can't find any RAW that directly supports it.

Zhorn
2019-06-22, 02:23 AM
While the belt does impart some dwarvish traits, it isn't specifically conferring the status of being a dwarf.

As a DM I'd allow it just because I see no reason not to.
But I would expect a hard 'no' in AL

Spectrulus
2019-06-22, 02:27 AM
It was good enough for Grog to use his dwarven thrower.

Same here, I allow it at my table, AL may not.

Aussiehams
2019-06-22, 02:50 AM
I've never played AL, and doubt I will. Just wondering on the general consensus.

NatureKing
2019-06-22, 03:34 AM
G'day all.

Would a belt of Dwarvenkind allow a non dwarf character to attune to a dwarf specific magic item like Whelm?

Given the benefits and beard growth etc. I think it should, but I can't find any RAW that directly supports it.

Have you asked your DM? If you have both, try it out. If you don't, then you have a quest to get both. And if not, you have two pretty cool magic items, or a lot of money when you find someone to sell it to.

Aussiehams
2019-06-22, 03:37 AM
I have a belt and was wondering in case it ever came up. DM is pretty casual so it should be fine if it ever happens, but was just wondering what people thought in general.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-22, 08:25 AM
I see no reason why not.

Keravath
2019-06-22, 10:57 AM
The belt of dwarvenkind gives you several dwarf like abilities. However, it doesn't make you a dwarf.

You don't receive all their traits, you don't get stone cunning for example. You aren't a mountain dwarf or a hill dwarf. Other than growing a beard, your appearance doesn't change. If you were a tiefling before, you are a bearded tiefling while wearing it who has advantage on saves vs poison (not resistance)[Edit: need to remember to read an entire bullet point ... ooops], who understands dwarvish, and who dwarves tend to like more than an average tiefling.

Basically, you aren't a dwarf.

If you came across a dwarven thrower, could you attune to it? Totally a DM call and they could go wither way with it. The rules answer would be clearly no. However, loot drops are usually decided by the DM so if they put in both a belt of dwarvenkind and a dwarven thrower, with no dwarves in the party who could use the hammer then the DM is either taunting the players or the chances are reasonable that they might allow them to work together simply because the DM included both in the game. However, the "by the book" answer would be no.

Dalebert
2019-06-22, 08:35 PM
You don't receive all their traits, you don't get stone cunning for example. You aren't a mountain dwarf or a hill dwarf. Other than growing a beard, your appearance doesn't change. If you were a tiefling before, you are a bearded tiefling while wearing it who has advantage on saves vs poison (not resistance), who understands dwarvish, and who dwarves tend to like more than an average tiefling.

It doesn't give you all their traits but it does give poison resistance as well as adv on poison saves.

Lunali
2019-06-22, 08:43 PM
As DM, I would absolutely allow it, though there's about a 1/3 chance that belt is actually a girdle of masculinity/femininity. I'd even let you use the dwarven thrower if you got the cursed belt.