PDA

View Full Version : Planes travelling bounty hunter

KyleG
2019-06-22, 04:12 AM
Im developing a horizon walker half elf ranger who is hyper excitable and has been training in non lethal disable and capture techniques. Now clearly this isn't dnds typical style but you might say that she is a junior bh and isn't supposed to undertake lethal missions. I see her transitioning to a glaive as time goes on and she 'ranks up'. But I liked the idea of a whip and/or quarterstaff options. Dm is open to minor tweaks to complement theme (perhaps darts of hold person but the victim gets adv on saves?, or don't kick in until target under a certain xp?) Given levels 1-3 tend to play thru rather quickly it might not even be relevant.

So I have these potentially conflicting ideas (whip/non lethal vs glaive) and I'd like some suggested build ideas including starting stats with campaign hoping to go long term.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-22, 06:37 AM
sounds cool!
maybe a net?

KyleG
2019-06-25, 03:29 AM
Early on a net certainly plays to the characters current rank.
Ill go 15/14/15/10/12/10 after racials applied.
The dm and I got talking and the current idea is actually have her kinda like the police force from "The One". They have deposited her on this plane (alt earth) because her doppleganger is out there and here they think she will have time to get better skilled if they eventually show up
Or something like that.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-25, 10:18 AM
You're right on with the Whip. Would be a good finisher to knock someone unconscious with.

I'd say that he'd probably want to resort to attacking from range until then. Pick them off from afar, then finish the whole group off with a teleportation combo.

Use the Duelist Fighting Style so that you can throw Daggers with your bonus damage, as well as your whip.

Take Goodberries to heal a dying bounty, just make sure to knock him out before he starts to bolt.

It might help to take levels into Rogue for the Inquisitive, so that you can add bonus damage to your Whip finisher, as well as to scout out for potential information and threats.