PDA

View Full Version : DoTMM - handling treasure? (possible spoilers)

Brookshw
2019-06-22, 05:16 PM
I'm running DoTMM for a group, and after a few sessions and having read most of the module, the default treasure placed by the book seems drastically underwhelming. For those with experience with the module, preferably running it, how did you handle treasure?

Great Dragon
2019-06-23, 10:52 AM
Greetings, Brookshw !!

I'm more experienced with Undermountain in older Editions: AD&D 1 & 2, and 3.x

I've only run 5e DotMM a few times: 1st-3rd Levels.

Some of the things for different levels are interesting, but most are disappointing (to me).
(I haven't read everything, yet)

I have two methods for Treasure.

First:
Loot Chests and Treasure Rooms.
I pre-determine these whenever possible, to save time at the table

Loot Chests are sometimes Trapped, and are usually guarded by a monster.
(and almost never by an Orc in a 10x10 room 😁)
Most Chests contain items, both mundane and magical; but not much coins/gems or Art: trading these for Healing Potions of approximately the same value.

Treasure Rooms have Intelligent Guardian/s and sometimes Trapped.
Actual coins and gems are more common, as well as more "powerful" magic items.

It's easy to "justify" these, since Halaster is known to place things (both Monsters and Treasure) as both Test and Reward.

Second:
When going deeper into the Dungeon:
Humanoid/s encountered will have Magic Weapons and/or Armor, and a good chance for useful Magical Item/s.
(After all, these are kinda needed for survival!)

Between these methods, the PCs can get the things they need, and most of what they want.

While some can find this a little unfair :haley: I do find that Players tend to value things more when they are earned.

Brookshw
2019-06-23, 11:26 AM
I'm more experienced with Undermountain in older Editions: AD&D 1 & 2, and 3.x Oh, they did one for 3e? Huh, missed that one. I do appreciate they reused the old maps and reference some of the old encounters (e.g., wyvern fight in 2e mod = dead wyvern in room in 5e, goblins in 2e = goblin graffiti in 5e, very cool). I'm a bit surprised they don't seem to have used anything from RoU 2 (at least that I've noticed)

I have two methods for Treasure.

First:
Loot Chests and Treasure Rooms.
I pre-determine these whenever possible, to save time at the table So are these in addition to the treasure in the mod, are you tossing them in where they fit with an existing encounter, or tossing them in empty rooms or overwriting existing encounters?

While some can find this a little unfair, I do find that Players tend to value things more when they are earned. Not sure who finds it unfair, but I agree no free loot is generally more rewarding.

Great Dragon
2019-06-23, 01:46 PM
Oh, they did one for 3e? Huh, missed that one.
3.x Expedition to Undermountain

I do know they did Halls of Undermountain for 4e, but haven't read it yet.

I do appreciate they reused the old maps and reference some of the old encounters (e.g., wyvern fight in 2e mod = dead wyvern in room in 5e, goblins in 2e = goblin graffiti in 5e, very cool). I'm a bit surprised they don't seem to have used anything from RoU 2 (at least that I've noticed)

I love those references, as well.
I also haven't seen anything from RoU 2 yet, either.

So are these in addition to the treasure in the mod, are you tossing them in where they fit with an existing encounter, or tossing them in empty rooms

I'm usually adding Chests to existing Encounters.
Not always obvious, like the fight in "Room 3" has the Chest in "3a".

Treasure Rooms are put in normally empty rooms, with their own Encounters.

or overwriting existing encounters?
I like running a Living World, so things that past Players have done, affects what new Players find.

But, sometimes I don't have access to my notes - so will just go with what is in the module, with minor changes: based partly on memory and on party composition.