PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with designing a dungeon

EkulNagrom
2019-06-22, 10:56 PM
Like the title says, I need help designing a dungeon. The problem I'm facing is keeping with a theme, and after a lot of thinking I've basically gotten nowhere. So I thought asking here might help.

The entire campaign revolves around three Trials that each take something from the players. The reason for this is because the whole plot is about a god wanting to become mortal, and his trials take humanity from the trial goers as they progress. The god wants three things, the How, What and Who of the people who pass through these trials. There's an Egyptian theme, so the dungeons are designed like tombs.

In non-plot speak, it's pretty simple. The 'How' trial takes away actions. The whole dungeon is filled with curses that take away future options. The 'What' trial takes away physical things, such as a PC's eye. It's full of traps. I've got two long lists of things to throw at my party and make things difficult for them. The problem here is that I need a third. But, try as I might, I can't seem to think of anything that captures that "D&D dungeon feeling" that injures a PC's goals or personality.

My train of thought has led me to: A) A bunch of tasks that frustrate/belittle the party. Or, the hero has to NOT save someone. Etc. B) A really personalized event sequence where certain things are taken away, such as injuring a musician's hands. C) Memory loss, but this is really hard to roleplay for some people...

Hopefully I've explained enough. I probably haven't. I'll try and answer as many follow up questions as possible. Thanks in advance!

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-22, 11:07 PM
Like the title says, I need help designing a dungeon. The problem I'm facing is keeping with a theme, and after a lot of thinking I've basically gotten nowhere. So I thought asking here might help.

The entire campaign revolves around three Trials that each take something from the players. The reason for this is because the whole plot is about a god wanting to become mortal, and his trials take humanity from the trial goers as they progress. The god wants three things, the How, What and Who of the people who pass through these trials. There's an Egyptian theme, so the dungeons are designed like tombs.

In non-plot speak, it's pretty simple. The 'How' trial takes away actions. The whole dungeon is filled with curses that take away future options. The 'What' trial takes away physical things, such as a PC's eye. It's full of traps. I've got two long lists of things to throw at my party and make things difficult for them. The problem here is that I need a third. But, try as I might, I can't seem to think of anything that captures that "D&D dungeon feeling" that injures a PC's goals or personality.

My train of thought has led me to: A) A bunch of tasks that frustrate/belittle the party. Or, the hero has to NOT save someone. Etc. B) A really personalized event sequence where certain things are taken away, such as injuring a musician's hands. C) Memory loss, but this is really hard to roleplay for some people...

Hopefully I've explained enough. I probably haven't. I'll try and answer as many follow up questions as possible. Thanks in advance!

Memory loss or Feeblemind would do for the third. Make sure this is fun for your players though. I'm not sure I'd want to play 6 sessions of a character with 1 Intelligence.

EkulNagrom
2019-06-22, 11:57 PM
Do you have any advice as to going about memory loss? It’s not anything I’ve tried before, both DM and player.