PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Item for Rogue? (CoS)

Rebecca-47
2019-06-23, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm running my first-ever campaign as a dm, and though we're only a few sessions in, I have some plans for the distant future.
I want to end our campaign with the three level-10 players fighting a villain like Strahd. I have ideas for magic items to give the Barbarian and the Cleric, akin to the Sunsword and Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, but I'm not sure what to give to my Rogue Scout. These items will each be acquired under pretty mystical circumstances. We're not actually doing the CoS module, I'm just using the power level of the magic items/BBEG as a gauge for my own homebrew.

So I guess here's what I'm wondering: What would be an interesting magic item to give to a rogue that has about the same power/utility as a sunblade? I was thinking something that would help with mobility or advantage, but I'm not sure how far I can take it.

Vorpalchicken
2019-06-23, 09:55 AM
Maybe the rogue would like the sunblade since it is a finesse weapon. The barbarian may prefer a heavier weapon.

noob
2019-06-23, 09:56 AM
A Bright red feathered hat constantly shining with heavenly radiance.
It is so obnoxious most people just pretend they never saw you.

Rebecca-47
2019-06-23, 10:15 AM
Maybe the rogue would like the sunblade since it is a finesse weapon. The barbarian may prefer a heavier weapon.

I could give them all magic weapons, but I wanted to add a bit of variety to showcase the special features of each class.

Lunali
2019-06-23, 10:19 AM
My first suggestion would be a sunblade if it's a melee rogue. For a ranged rogue, winged boots are only uncommon but will probably have a comparable effect tactically to the other items. Ring of invisibility is a tempting option, but it will have significant long term effects on the campaign if you're continuing after CoS.

DrKerosene
2019-06-23, 11:21 AM
I think Winged Boots is a really good option for any Rogue who enjoys their Cunning Action.

If flight is too much, how about Boots Of Striding and Springing? Maybe add a Longstrider or Spiderclimb ability that has limits for daily use.

A (legendary) item to boost raw numbers would be that Ioun Stone that grants +1 Proficiency. So that would be +2 to any Expertise abilities, and a +1 to a lot of other things. Combine, or replace, with a Luck Stone to boost most other numbers.

An armor or cloth wrap bestowing a short range teleport ability that may allow a 1/combat use of Assassinate (assuming they are not an assassin) might be cool.

A Sword Of Answering would allow reaction attacks to maybe trigger extra sneak attack, if your Rogue likes to trade blows.

Though I think a Cloak Of Displacement might be solid defensive option, if short range teleporting isn’t desirable.

djreynolds
2019-06-23, 12:58 PM
There isn't much for magic weapons in CoS, but I know there are 2 short swords at least.

This is a world stifled by Strahd, its oppressed so too much magic would be a danger to him

It sounds awful, but just silvering weapons will and should be difficult. Tell the cleric, paladin, or wizard to cast magic weapon on the rogue when needed... and it might be at the cost of using spirit guardians or another powerful concentration spell.