PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Homebrew: For fun, for utility, other stuff?

gooddragon1
2019-06-23, 07:40 PM
Should homebrew, let's go with base classes for a starting point, be made for fun?

Should it be made for utility to fill a missing capacity or fix an inadequacy? What could be considered inadequate?

Should it be short to make it easier to review? Or long to be more robust?

Low power level to be buffed higher if needed and more likely (hopefully) to avoid immediate rejection? Or pay less attention to power level considerations to make what is needed more easily?

These questions are subjective, so there are no wrong answers.

Other questions could also arise as well.

heavyfuel
2019-06-23, 09:06 PM
Should homebrew, let's go with base classes for a starting point, be made for fun?

Yes. "Fun" is the whole point of playing a game.

Should it be made for utility to fill a missing capacity or fix an inadequacy? What could be considered inadequate?

Yes. Anything that is too weak or too powerful. The games I run usually have seriously nerfed Tier 1s, somewhat nerfed Tier 2s, somewhat buffed Tiers 4 and 5.

If we're talking about creating a standard class from scratch there's really no way we can make it too short. Usually any concept that requires homebrewing is going to be somewhat complex and it's gonna need some serious text supporting it.

If we're talking about altering exting classes, I tend to prefer quick fixes, but they don't often do the job right. The biggest homebrew I'm currently working is re-working every spell in the PHB and the SpC and allowing those spells (and those spells only) in my games.

Stevesciguy
2019-06-23, 09:35 PM

You should not be forcing yourself to make homebrew if you do not enjoy it. You'd be doing a disservice to yourself and others.

Either is a good reason to do so. I define inadequate as "fails to accomplish what it set out to accomplish."

It should be as long as you need it to be to achieve what you set out to do. Trying to force it to be longer or shorter will degrade the quality of the material.

Low power level to be buffed higher if needed and more likely (hopefully) to avoid immediate rejection? Or pay less attention to power level considerations to make what is needed more easily?

Disregard power level unless it seems hopelessly weak or absurdly strong right off the bat. Power can always be adjusted.

That's how my process went the couple of times I tried my hand at it. Hasn't gone terribly so far, for what that's worth.